Neurology Expert Forum
Weakness in arms, legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Weakness in arms, legs

Hi.  Over a year ago I had injured my left hip to the point where my left leg was numb for a while but with treatment it slowly healed.  My current question is based on symptoms I'm experiencing in my arms and legs that are similar to what I had after the accident, except that there has not been any similar trauma (at least from the same type of cause).

Briefly, my symptoms:
Occasional weakness in arms, legs feel wobbly
Occasional sharp pains down arms and legs or muscle spasms - these usually go away when I "adjust" by raising my shoulders or bending my knees
Periodic tingling in fingers and toes - not constant
Shoulders and knees make cracking or popping noises
Stiff neck
Arms and legs feel cold (but not to the touch), particularly after exertion

My shoulder hurt so much a few weeks ago I could barely move it.  I went to the ER where they did an x-ray and couldn't find anything but suggested I visit an orthopedist.  My PCP suggests that a long period of inactivity during the recuperation from the accident has caused the muscles in my arms and legs to atrophy and I have tried to get back to normal activity too quickly.  That seems to make sense, but I am not sure if there are other questions I should be asking.

Thanks for your help.
Deconditioning from inactivity can create a similar clinical picture as your PCP suggests. However, consider seeing a neurologist to make sure nothing else is going on. You have some conflicting symptoms-?sharp pains vs. muscle spasms - 2 different things that point to different diseases. Could be a peripheral neuropathy which is a problem with your nerves or a myopathy, which is a problem with the muscles. Also, the stiff neck and tingling may be indicative of a problem with the cervical spine. Talk to your doc about getting a referral to a neurologist for a formal examination just to make sure that nothing else is going on. Some routine blood tests may also be helpful such as thyroid and muscle enzymes CK, aldolase as well as routine laboratory screening. It's important to make sure that nothing correctable is missed before chalking it all up to disuse. Good luck.
I have the same tingling in arms and hands I also was in a Wreck in 1992 .Since then I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia,bulding disc ,degeration,spinal stanosis,degeneration in neck,cervical , also bulging disc in L 5,S 4,bilateral pain,with stiffness and spasms.I suffer from migrains and have trouble sleeping.The doc said he would think I was 80 by my chart but I'm 36.I've had to have several operation,for internal injury's .I am taking baclfen,ultram,zolf, phrinilen fort,soma,neruontin helps alot with sleep it seems to ease the nerv pain.Any advice for me?
A related discussion, arms pain was started.
A related discussion, Neck and back Problems was started.