Neurology Expert Forum
What could it be?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What could it be?

I am 29/f. I was diagnosed with abnormal weakness in my lower extremities in Jan. (have had a limp for about 2-3 years). Went to a neurologist who thinks it may be some type of rare MD. I then went for EMG and NCS testing. EMG revealed changes in my legs arms and back. It showed positive sharp waves, fibrillations, devreased motoer unit potentials, and complex repetitive discharges. I had a muscle biospy that shows muscular atrophy and "nerve involvement". I then had another EMG and NSC on the right side. Showed the same except more muscular deterioration in the deltoid, hip and calf. I go back in two weeks to get the "diagnosis" What could it be based on EMG report and muscle biopsy? Am wearing bilat foot braces for foot drop, have chronic muscle twiching.

Thanks.
Dear TNRN:

I am very sorry to hear about your muscle weakness.  What was your serum creatine kinase?  It is unfortunate that they did not do the usual muscle stains to further elaborate the type of muscle degeneration occurring.  This makes it very difficult to give you an accurate "guess" concerning your problem.  The EMG findings suggest, as you describe, a muscle disease that is myopathic.  Without being able to do the neurological exam and history taking it makes it even more difficult to tell you what might be occurring.  Since your face is not involved then likely it is not facioscapulohumeral musclular dystrophy.  Sounds like the proximal muscles more than the distal muscles are involved, so myotonic dystrophy is unlikely.  The absence of an elevated creatine kinase suggests that Beckers and Mcleod syndrome is not likely.  Since there is no family history of a muscle disease, it is unlikely that the autosomal dominant forms resembling facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy are the cause.  There is no sign of inflammatory changes so dermatomyositis and myositis are likely not involved.  So, I am not sure what might be going on from the information you gave.  Sorry.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Hey Guys,

I had been trying to post a question on this wonderful site since JAnuary...I couldnt as the site is alway used to display that it cannot accept any further questions. Therefore I am choosing this to ask ur help.

I need some help on Mylopathy. My moms suffereing from mylopathy and even after getting a good treatement she is not getting cured ...please if anyone could be of some help..please contact me at:

***@****
***@****

thanks and regards,

monika