Neurology Expert Forum
atypical hemangioma of bone in spine

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

atypical hemangioma of bone in spine
I recently had an MRI (pre and post contrast) of my thoracic spine.  It found that I had a 8.5 mm rounded area of increased signal intensity present in the T8 vertibra on the T2 weighted sequences.  The lesion was isointense with the verebra on the T1 weighted sequence.  There was a slight enhancement after gadolinium was added.  Everything else was normal.  The radiologist's impression was that there was a 8.5 mm slightlly enhancing rounded area of increased signal on T2 which is isotense on the T1.  He said it had features which most likely represented an atypical benighn hemangioma of bone.  He suggested a CT scan to confirm his findings.

I just had a CT scan, which came back normal with nothing showing out of the ordinary.

What could be going on here?

Thanks.
Hemangiomas of the spine typically occur in the thoracic region, and the majority of these lesions are found incidentally on imaging. Only less then 5% of cases progress to cause neurologic symptoms, if they are found incidentally. The most common complaint from these types of lesions include back pain, and occasionally progressive neurologic symptoms secondary to pressure placed on the spinal cord. Typically these lesions have high signal on T1 and T2, but they can be low in signal or isointense on T1. I hope this helps.
Sounds like anixety or panic attacks.  That's what happens to me when I have one.
For a little over 8 months now I have had nagging chest and upper extremity pain.  However, the chest pain was the first to occur.  About 3 1/2 months ago, my physician discovered a rotator cuff tear on the left side.  At the time, we believed this was the cause of my still continued chest pain even with conservative management.  Due to persistant symptoms, my physician ordered a cervical and thoracic MRI.  The findings showed a T2 signal abnormality in the T2 vertebral body which is most likely an atypical hemangioma.  I haven't yet had the CT suggested to corraborate the findings.  Do you think this contributes to the chest pain of 8 months duration?
A related discussion, bone hemangioma on L5 was started.
A related discussion, atypical hemangiona was started.
A related discussion, thoracic spine was started.