Neurology Expert Forum
chronic plantar fasciitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

chronic plantar fasciitis
I was diagnosed with Herpes 1, which in Dec 2004 was transmitted to my genital area.
Since then I have had nerve twitching in my calves and feet at night. My muscles in my lower body began to shrink and Jan 2007 I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I have had a terrible time getting rid of it, and feel it is being aggravated by the herpes condition. I do take acyclovir twice daily. I started taking more calcium, and stopped all NSAIDs and the twitching has become less pronounced. However the achilles strain is now being felt in my right foot. I am afraid I will end up with plantar fasciitis in both feet. I have limited my activity to just around the house. What could be causing this and should I see a neurologist?
Is the acyclovir causing a decrease in muscle?
I had painful Plantar Fasc & was help trmendously by PT, Ice, & stretching excercies. I used orthotics & a rubber band every am & it helped allot. Talk to your MD.
I also had severe plantar fascitis in rt foot. It progressed to where I was in pain constantly and was able to manage only a few painful steps. I had orthotics in my shoes and I had to wear a fracture shoe then fracture boot for few months. I would remove it but I felt I was cheating only a little..Finally when I feared becoming a cripple for the rest of my life, I agreed to casting. I wore the cast for 5 weeks. When it was removed, the plantar fascitis was about 90% improved and completely resolved within a few more weeks. Not being able to use your affected foot/leg normally will cause a decrease in muscle tone. It will also cause an increased workload on your unaffected foot and problems will develope..See a good podiatrist and follow his instructions COMPLETELY.. No little cheating, your foot knows the truth.
They also use shock wave therapy for stubborn PF.
did shock wave therp. help PF?
I didn't need it as the PT etc helped it heal in about 2 months. It hurts like heck but hang it there, it can heal. See a good podiatrist, too for starters
I had the shock wave therapy and it did nothing. It is very costly and insurance usually does not cover it. I have the fascitis off and on in both feet. I use rolling an iced bottle of water with my foot and doing the A,B Cs with my foot and as much orthotics and cushion in my shoe as I can fit. I get my shoes two sizes too big to accomodate cushioning. It is worse in the winter. Sometimes I can barely walk. I have used a surgery shoe and a walker. I have not tried the casting, it sounds promising. how do you use a rubber band?
You may benefit from the use of a night splint.  It has multiple indications including plantar fasciitis and achilles problems.  It is easily available online.

Some fibers of the achilles tendon are continuous with the plantar fascia -- basically, one big "sling."  When you are sleeping in the evening, your feet are in what we call a plantarflexed or pointed down position.  Thereby, "shortening" the plantar fascia, achilles, and calf complex.

So when you wake up in the morning, hence, a tearing, burning, or achy sensation may be experienced.  Tightness of all of the above can be chronic.  Therefore, wearing a nightsplint can be very beneficial.

Time needed for use of the nightsplint is individual, ranging from a couple of weeks to months (generally, less than a month while sleeping).

Good luck!
I had very painful plantar fasc. & large heel spur on one foot. It's been months since I had surgery on it. I still have pain in my foot. Are orthodics a lot better than a good "running" shoe and heel cups?
A related discussion, heel spur was started.
A related discussion, MS & plantar fasciitis was started.