Neurology Community
drainage of watery yellow fluid from nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Friday while I was bent over blow-drying my hair, bright yellow fluid suddenly started dripping out of my nose.  It felt like a nose bleed and that's what I thought it was until I observed the color.  I had never seen any fluid that color come out of my body before.  The drainage was unilateral--left side only.  I made an appointment with my doctor but cannot see her until Tuesday.  Investigating a bit onlne I saw something that seemed similar--CSF leakages.  But I have had no brain injuries, only a recent cold.  My question is--is this probably what I think it is?  Do I need to be very concerned?  Should I insist on seeing the doctor sooner or go to emergency?  What should I do in the meantime?  It hasn't happened again since then.  I'm really feeling a bit scared.
Thanks so much
Heidi
How are you feeling now?
Cerebrospinal fluid leak may occur from the nose, from the external auditory canal, or from a traumatic or operative defect in the skull or spine. The fluid leak is a result of meningeal dural and arachnoid laceration with fistula formation. Blunt trauma is the most common cause.
I think you need an evaluation by a neurologist and investigation of the fluid which is coming out of your nose.
You should visit an emergency department.
You should be accompanied by an attender with you.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
yea i got this on tuesday.. and on wednesday it was worse.. then today (thursday) even worse.. and it all had to happen in my final semester week where i had 2 practical classes, where one was a 4 hour exam (my lapcoat sleeves are now yellow lol) and ive a bloody exam tomorrow on pathophysiology, so now im up studying at 1am :(

anyways i think imma go see a doc soon myself if it persists, my nostril entrance is now red, which i think is due to an acidic pH of the yellow fluid, could be wrong!
I am so glad I found this!  I'm a student as well and don't have the insurance for doctors and other luxuries.  I've had problems in the past with my brain aka: headaches, memory loss, etc. of which I did have checked out only to have a doctor tell me that I had a "fatty deposit" on my pituitary glad and send me on my way.  I've learned to cope with the memory loss and done many things to improve my condition but as I bent over to dry my hair this morning yellow-watery fluid poured out of my nose and I felt a bit of concern.  I appreciate your insight!  I did bang my head this morning but didn't think much of it.  I will be more careful and if problem persists perhaps humble myself enough to see a doctor.  Thanks again for your input!  
I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME THIS MORNING! AFTER I FINISHED BLOW DRYING MY HAIR BENT OVER! ON THE LEFT SIDE! I LEFT MY DOC A MSG ABOUT IT, AND HE USUALLY CALLS BACK AFTER 5 OR 6PM.  DID YOU FIND ANYTHING ELSE OUT?  I READ THAT IT COULD BE A SINUS INFECTION.  I ALSO JUST GOT OVER A BAD COLD AND THROAT INFECTION.  
we seem to have simular throte infections/ colds/ chest infections before this is happening, i was just reading another post made where someone went to the drs and was given amoxicillin and it was explained to them that the fluid was just the infection draining from the body, the fluid became clearer as the week went on. i have no qualifications in this field but i wouldnt worry too much if you have had these symptoms however if the fluid is appearing for no explained reason or over an extended length of time i would personally consult a doctor or even try calling the nhs direct if within the uk. i am just recovering from a cold and chect infection and have had this bright/ illuminus fluid for about 3/4 days if it continues or becomes worse i will be consulting a doctor, but after reading up on the net most fluids from head injury ect seem to be clear in colour.
Hi,the same thing happen to me 5 or 6 yrs back when it happen for the first time,the fuid was coming out every time i bend over first time i was looking underneath my dining table,i was very worried,the situation lasted a few days during those days every time i bended over it happen,i was i mexico at that time,when to see a doctor and she told me it was nothing to worry about,so i din't and keep ejoying my vacation,but now,again a month a go,and now today,today comes out even standing straigth,i have no ins. that is why i'm looking on line trying to find an answer,i've had a cold for 5 days now so probably has to do with that.also i find very weird that every person here has it on the left side,oh well i hope you all get better,please post if anything changes.
I had this same yellow problem just now, yellow fluid leaking from my RIGHT nostril.  I'd had it one time before but forget which nostril it was that time.  I'd had a migraine the other night in which the pain was mostly concentrated on the right side of my face.

Hi, yellow discharge is mainly related with bacterial infection either due to foreign body or otherwise. Do you get foul smell too? Try a course of antibiotics, if the symptoms persist even after that, do consult doctor. CSF leakage is colourless and is definitely a emergency, should be treated with antibiotics.

I've been having this problem for a few years now... I never had it occur until after i had surgery on my nose: removing two cysts and a septioplasty.  About 5 months afterwards i had it happen the first time, and for the last 2 years it's been re-occurring frequently. Typically it happens to me when i blow my nose, and yellow, sometimes foamy, fluid comes out and saturates many tissues, though it also happens sometimes when i just bend over.  
I was thinking this was a sinus infection, and went and got some anti-biotics; i was taking amoxiciillin 750mg twice daily.  (i was told it was the heavy version) After the prescription ended, they still persist! I've had it happen 3 times already, and it's only been 5 days since the end of my 10 day treatment.
After doing some reading, i'm wondering if this is a nasal candida infection...   I'm going to try and balance my body's candida levels by taking a yeast supplement (EpiCor) and cleaning out my nose with a netipot.  
Anyone else have any luck getting rid of it?
Did anyone hear back from their doctor as to a possible cause?  I was traveling this past weekend and had my head down and all of a sudden a rush of yellow watery fluid starts draining from my nose.  It look and felt like water and it was a lot.  I caught some in my hand and wiped them on a towel but they felt sticky afterwards.  This was not snot.  I was too freaked out to think of smelling it.  I do occassionally get sinus pressure when the temperature changes, but did not feel any pain coming on before this happened.  I didnt go swimming or in any way get water in my nose.  But while it was draining, it felt like I had accidently gotten water into my nose while swimming.  At least what I remember of it from being in a pool as a kid.  It happened a couple of times, on June 14th, 2008, and hasnt happened again in the last three days.
I had this happen last night when I bent over. I have just gotten over an ear infection and was taking amoxicillin. The yellow fluid came out of my left nostril last night and now I just have kind of a sore feeling in that nostril. It seems like no one who has posted has gotten a clear answer from a doctor. Does anyone have any information from a medical visit/test regarding the leaking?
OK...i just had the same thing happen....i was bending down...and yellow water...like gatorade...came pouring out my nose...a tablespoon full. Now the inside of my nose seems sticky (like dried mucus) and i'm slightly dizzy. I've seen a neurologist about this before and CSF fluid was outruled because of the color and via an MRI that showed no fracture.  PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THIS IS!!!!
by DrKalraMD

Add as Friend

DrKalraMD  
Member since May 2008  

by DrKalraMD

, Jun 03, 2008 12:08AM

My 15 yr old daughter came home and bent forward and suddenly she too had bright yellow watery fluid dripping out of her nose.  A fairly large quantity.   I wondered if she may be starting a sinus infection?  She feels fine however.  Any idea?
hello dr i have yellow fluid coming out of my left nostril and the back of my head feels like it is getting squeezed it as happend a few times should i go to the a and e. thank u mike benson
I am glad to have found this.

Yesterday while at work, bent over writting on a desk, felt like a nose bleed, wiped my nose, and was a Bright yellow, water like fluid, not sticky, no smell. LEFT nostril only, and seemed to last only about an hour. When I would spit, same substance, not like a sputum, but yellow and transparent.
Went away until last night, again started as a slow drip, stopped about 10 minutes later.
I had a bad cold a month and a half ago, lasted for about 3 weeks and still have a wet cough. I was NOT on any antibiotics. Over the counter cold meds, and not very many.
I have a vacation planned in three weeks, and not sure about seeing my GP. She is over booked and doesn't usually show the attention to things like this. Emergency dept??
Iwork in the pre-hospital care field and know how full our system is with 'little things'
Am I in need of seeing the emerg doctor?
Hi, I am a medical student, and the same thing happened to me last night. I am just getting over a throat and ear infection. I tilted my head to the side while reading last night and flourescent yellow fluid started flowing out of my nose and down my throat. It didn't smell, but tasted salty. On white tissue it looked like a leaky highlighter pen.

This morning I popped over to see a doctor in the ENT department. I had a quick check over and he said I had signs of fluid inside my left ear (like glue ear).

I think it is due to an infection. I haven't been given antibiotics, and was just told if it gets painful or if I get a temperature to take paracetamol, however if it becomes very painful or there is a lot more fluid to come to A&E.

Some reassurance though, the fact that an ENT doctor wasn't too worried about it.
Hello everyone,

I'm one of many others on this forum who have had this happen.  The last time until just a few moments ago was a few years ago and I freaked out, googled all over, thinking it might have been CSF fluid or something else.  Each time I've had it, I've felt just fine, no cold or anything and it looks and feels exactly the same as the other comments on this forum.  

The ENT a few years ago ordered a CT scan and discovered that I have a pocket (not sure what he called it exactly) in my sinus that can hold the fluid which was suggestive of acute and chronic sinusitis. I've never felt the symptoms though, this stuff just leaks out of nowhere.  

Reading this forum and seeing how many of us there are that have had this challenge gives me a lot of peace of mind.  When I first had this challenge, I felt dizzy, etc. and looking back, I'm sure it was just nerves and anxiety because I was freaked out, not knowing what it was.  

If anyone on here gets a specific diagnosis, please come back and share your story as it will help others who are going through this challenge as well.  

Good luck to all!

I just had this exact same thing happen to me.  It's very interesting how common this seems to be however I am 32 and have never seen a fluid come from my nose quite like this.  It's also interesting to observe the similarities.  Mine too was only after I bent over and only out of my left nostril.  I am just getting over a normal cold.  I was also freaked out by the color and became anxious after reading it could be cerebral fluid.  I also took Zicam a week ago and it burned my sinuses(don't snuff it in).  I went to an urgent care facility and the nurse practitioner diagnosed it as the onset of a sinus infection which could have been brought on by the Zicam irritating my sinuses causing them to create more fluid.  She perscribed me Amoxicillin.  I'll start it tomorrow.  My glands along my neck are swollen but feel normal otherwise.
Me too.  Just a moment ago.  Thought it was CSF but now I'm not so sure.  Always thought CSF was clear.  Bent over, left side only, thought it was a nose bleed and then bright yellow, alarming discharge.  It seems that most of us, if not all, are just getting over a prolonged cold or infection.  That must be the common element.  Never ever had anything like this coming from me but we all appear to be relatively healthy, in general, and the colour is the thing that alarms us.  Had a large dose of Amoxicillin yesterday before a dental appointment.  Perhaps that.

Michael

Well, I'll join the club I guess, LEFT nostril, bent over and tilted head to the right and out came the same yellowish clear fluid. Thought it was a spontaneous nose bleed at first. It stopped when I resumed upright.  I tried to see if I could make it happen again by repeating the motion and it worked! I'm trying right now to make it happen again but it isn't coming out anymore. I definitely feel it coming from sinus cavity. I've been prone to sinus infections for 20 years.  Probably related but never had it happen before except at swimming pool but that wasn't yellowish. I'll worry about it if it keeps happening for a long time. Some sinus funk I imagine.
Where the heck were you people last year when this happened to me, lol?  At a restaurant at lunch, leaned over to set my drink on the table and whoosh!  Clear yellow liquid shot out of my nose.  My brother was having lunch with me and freaked out. never found out what is was, my primary care doc thought CSF leak and suggested a CAT scan,  but I couldn't afford it at the time and it never happened again. My old idiot rheumy told me it was impossible for CSF to come out your nose.
I just recently had an experience. However, mine was from my RIGHT nostril, and also a smaller amount in my left one.  I noticed it in the morning because it was all over my pillowcase for the last 2 nights.  I tried the bending over test, and all I got was a couple specks of blood when I wiped the indide of my nose.
Very strange!
i HAVE ALSO HAD THIS CLEAR YELLOW DRAINAGE FROM MY LEFT NOSTRIL.  I HAVE JUST COMPLETED A ROUND OF ANTIBIO AND STILL HAVE CLEAR YELLOW DRIPPING.  ONE PERSON SAID THEY THOUGHT IT WAS ACUTE SINUSITIS.  I WENT TO MY DOC AND WAS ALSO DIAGNOSED WITH ACUTE SINUSITIS.  I THINK THAT IS OUR GENERALIZED ANSWER.  IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD HEAD TRAUMS... IT IS JUST FROM A SINUS INFECTION.  IF HEAD TRAUMA, WAS INVOLVED AND YOU HAVE NOT HAD A COLD/SINUS ISSUES... GET TO THE DOC!

Well I'm going to join the club here and share my very similar situation.  I have been fighting a cold now for weeks.  The last few days I've had tons of green thick "snot" every time I blow my nose.  I went to my Dr. a few days ago for a physical and while there I mentioned the "snot" and the fact that I felt a sinus infection starting (headaches and pressure in my sinuses).  I didn't want antibiotics for certain reasons so she prescribed me Nasonex spray to open things up and assist with drainage.  I used the spray for a day or two and things seemed slightly better but not great.  I stopped using the spray because of everything I've read about prolonged use making the condition worse.

Last night while I was trying to sleep I felt sinus pressure again and my teeth started to hurt.  This was all on the left side of my face.  I massaged the sinus there.  When I got up this morning I blew my nose and at first a ton of green snot came out then when I blew again a big dry hunk of mucous came out (about the size of a dime).  All of a sudden I felt liquid pouring out of my nose, it felt like a nose bleed.  I wiped it with my kleenex and saw that it was bright yellow.  It poured out for about 30 seconds then stopped.    I still have the sinus pressure and the pain is greatly reduced but I also took an advil right before I blew my nose so that might just be killing the pain.  My Dr. told me to call her and ask her to call in the prescription for an antibiotic if I decide I want one, but given this new symptom I might go see her instead of making that judgement call on my own.
My experience is the same.  I bent over doing some gardening the other day and this fluid dripped contantly from my left nostril.  However, I have not had a cold or been ill recently.  I had been to the dentists three days before this for root canal treatment.  Unfortunately he drilled through the canal and into the sinus, some of the filling ballooned into the sinus.  I have been told by said dentist, after contacting him, that it is inlammation and should clear up within a fortnight.  My doctor had never heard of it, but contacted an ENT specialist who said it was rhinorrhea.  However, this doesn't explain why it happens or exactly what it is.  Rhinorrhea is just a name for discharge from the nose.  
I would be grateful if anyone can clear up what this is, where this fluid comes from (I am very worried it might be a CSF leak) and how to get rid of it.
not sick, no head traumas, no prior history of sinus problems.  Yellow, watery, non-viscous fluid dripping from left nostril only.  No pain, no headaches, no allergies.  I saw a post suggesting bacterial infection which makes sense.   Several months ago my dentist discovered an infection above my left front tooth upon which I had a root canal over 20 yrs ago.  It was recommended I get an "apicoectomy?" to clean out the source of the infection.  They prescribed antibiotic which eliminated the symptoms,  but I haven't had proceedure yet.  After reading these posts, I suppose there's a connection but no-one's mentioned dental/oral related problems.  I'm going to see a Doctor and will post the findings.  
Had the same thing happening to me today, had what i can only describe as a nasty chesty cough (probably infected from the bright green and yellow mucus) all last week, I had thought i was recovered then lo and behold had a large quantities of yellow tinted discharge from my right nostrel. I am also a student and have not had the time to go see the doctor, so hope I am not in any danger.

Was the general consensus to leave it and wait or go to the emergency room/ emergency doctors?
Just a note: I was in a car wreck some years ago. I didn't know it, but my right sinus was crushed in the accident (there was no externally visible damage). A couple of years later I ended up with a bad ear infection which resulted in discovery of the crushed sinus and an advanced sinus infection. Surgery was required, well and good. Fast forward to now, I've had a sinus infection for a week now, but what is new is the yellow fluid drainage. Being a new symptom I was worried. Fortunately I found this page -- clearly it is related to the infection and I've already got an appointment with my doctor. What I wanted to note was that just because you don't think you have a sinus infection doesn't mean you don't. I had no pain from the post-accident crushed sinus and resulting infection. It was well advanced and near to hitting the eye/optic nerve and going back to the brain. Thankfully it has been cleared out -- but a caution that even if you don't otherwise have symptoms (and maybe *particularly* if you don't otherwise have symptoms) seeing and ENT is probably a good idea.
I've had this happen to me once before but this time its just happened I've literally recovered from a bad throat/cold sort of thing. - guess its just a way of the body ejecting the evil bacteria that infected me with flu in the first place! -m not too worried about anything with the brain, no brain related probs have been in my family tree past and as I'm writing this I feel fine after saturating about 10 squares of toilet roll with the bright yellow fluid n I feel fine! If it was a major problem I would have thought your natural defences would let you know if it was a bad thing, such as a seizure or rash or anything!! But nope all is well I hope :)
I would never have thought this was so widespread :)

Quick history, this have happened to me many times in the past. All of the time that I can remembered, I was recovering or very recently recovered from a bad cold/flu. Feels like you're gonna have a heavy-duty nosebleed then a huge discharge of yellow-marker colered liquid, completely ouf of nowhere, but moreso when you bend over to pick up something.

Never had any sinusitis in my life. Never any brain or abcess (abscess) problems.

Back to now, I'm on antibiotics (Biaxin) because of a pneumonia, day 7 of 10. The yellow-liquid-pouring-all-of-a-sudden phenomenon have kicked in yesterday, still going on at regular intervals. Sometimes it discharges when I sleep so it feels like exactly if you were nosebleeding in your throat. The first time I almost felt like I was drowning, but that was a very brief feeling.

It never made me panicked because it usually was an end-of-sickness phenomenon.

I tend to agree with the theory that it's the body cleaning itself of dead cells or leftovers of whatever bad I had in itself, applying mostly to colds/flus/respiratory illnesses

Mr Sox.
wow...this happened to me about five minutes ago. i was playing with my son and put my head down as if i was going to tumble forward. when all of a sudden i felt fluid rushing to my nose just like a nose bleed. i was even able to taste a bit of it in the back of my throat and it tasted a bit like blood. however when i pulled the toilet paper out of my nose i was suprised to find that it was an almost bright yellow fluid on the paper rather than blood. i too was sick about a week ago. its strange, first time its ever happened to me. mine was out of my right nostril although i doubt that it matters what side it come out of. glad i found this page. helped a lot.
Hey, guess what!!!! same problem here...This has happened to me a few times when I bend over.  But, it does not happen every time and usally I get the drips in my left nostril.  It does not have a very pleasant smell and is clear.  Should I be worried?
Wow I thought I would have the freakiest post on here about bright yellow highlighter type fluid rushing out of my nose all at once! But obviously I am not alone!! I was at the grocery store and bent over to reach some steaks at the back of the counter when I thought something disgusting had sprayed on and down my face! it was that much! Luckily there were paper towels right above me (meat dept) so I wiped up the puddle and my arm and face and went on my way. I did need to blow my nose several times after that and the paper towel was completely saturated (no mucus, just like bright yellow gatorade) It did come out of my left nostril and I had a bad cold about a week prior but am feeling much better now except a small cough and a bit of congestion (no antibiotics taken) I noticed a headache the day earlier and felt that my sinuses felt as though they had "drained" in one instant so I felt relieved. Odd occurance though!! Thankful I did not lose brain fluid as that was a thought of mine on my drive home!! Please post a diagnosis if anyone gets one!!
It started this morning after eating too much syrup with pancake. Too much sugar in the morning gives me headaches, but this is weird. It's thin watery yellow sticky discharge, only from left nostril.
I've certainly had similar symptoms to those described here with the luminous yellow fluid which happens to arrive spontaneously when standing upright in the shower, or as bending forward.  I've had quite a fatiguing cold during the last two weeks, with a permanently blocked left ear and was awoken at 3am to severe pain in the left side sinus, toothache and throbing headache.  4 days on the fluid appears each day but I have dull throbing pain all around the back of my head and ears, and experience severe stabbing head pains when I stand up after bending over, or if I blow my nose, even lightly.  I think it is all related to the cold and have never had sinusitus but if this does not subside, I think I need to see the doc. I don't think it is related to CSF fluid because I was diagnosed as having a CSF loss a couple of years ago after blacking out with debilitating migraine pains, I was told that my brain was drying out and sitting low in the skull putting pressure on the lower lobes...It is just like having your head in a vice, the most sickening pain I could describe.
wow im in bio this morning bend over to get my book right nostril drip srip srip me "WHAT THE ****" i thought i was going crazy got dizzy got home drentched tiolet paper w this popcorn butter excreeting from my nose and im freakin out so i look on here and im not crazy but unlike yall ive have no infections been perfectly healthy for a few months so idk what to do now ah..oh and theres blood in mine like just a small bit but its there were all in club yellow nose excretions rofl
I had this highlighter yellow drainage also... I am taking amoxicillin for a sinus infection as we speak... had been out with a cold for 2 weeks, the lingering cold,still with the cough etc....
sounds like a source of relief for infection... or a sign that you need an antibiotic for it.
Just happened to me, left nostril, slightly yellow watery liquid, had a cold for 3 weeks and just finished a dose of amoxcyllin, looks like theres a lot in common.  Freaked the hell out of me as it happened at work all over the keyboard, just packed my bags and drove home
This has been happening to me for over 6 years at least once a month - Went to doctor several times and they do not have any concerns - I am told that it is a pocket in my nasal passage that fills and must be emptied from time to time by draining - I did have a serious head trauma when I was younger and told it might be related but not for sure - It is a hassle but with no other symptoms there is nothing they can do - I do have low blood pressure but they are not sure if that is related either
Was blowing drying my hair, lifted me head up and yellow suff came out my left nostril.  My fiance who is a med school student said, woah i've never seen that color come out of anyone before.  Yellow means bacterial infection and clear means viral.  I am on the third day of a cold, so i am not too concerned.  I did notice a couple of days ago that my ears felt like they might be able to pop, so it very well could be a sinus infection of some sort.  Just thought i would share that with everyone.    
I have been sick a few days now, it started with throat and moved to the nose and today with the ear. I was spending most of the day laying on my left ear as it was the right ear that was having the pain. When I got up and moved my head the yellow watery liquid dripped out of my nose. Since then it has been dripping most of the night, after sudden changes in head movement and only from the right nostril (same as which ear is hurting). I have had the drippage before randomly here and there on different nostrils but never for  more than onces or twice. I have noticed it mostly if I have been sick or am sick, if I have weird moments of my head, if the temperature is too cold, or if i have been swimming and gotten water in my ear. My best guess is that it is a build up of fluid. Our ears nose and throats are all connected... like when you drink milk and laugh it comes out your nose or something.. and when fluid builds up in your ear and you move your head down low or tilted that water displaces and is probably pressing on your nasal passages causing the drainage... From what I can see, the common factor here seems to be Sinuses... the  bending of the drying your hair the tilting or laying, the ocean water, colds, etc...all connected... I don't think it is much to worry about. "This too shall pass" and if need be get some meds for it... I think the other concern mentions regarding brain leakage.. should only make you worry if you have had recent head trama, and shaking your head (though it can cause a headache from sinus pressure) is not considered head trauma.
Its puss, from an infection, don't freak out!!! probably popped a cyst in your sinus.
I just had the same thing happen after using my sinus rinse. It's typical that clear fluid pours out if I bend over within 15 minutes of using the sinus rinse. I am coming off of a bad sinus infection and suspect this is the lingering part of the infection that's finally clearing out. I think it's probably a good thing. Better out than in I always say! ;)

At any rate, if you have yellow stuff coming out of your nose, it's probably a sinus infection. Go get some antibiotics and do some sinus flushes. You'll probably be fine soon enough. Also, if you're prone to sinus infections, lay off the dairy. It causes mucus to build and creates some of the congestion.

Hope this helps. I also hope no one's brain is leaking. That would really suck.

PS - Man, that liquid was really yellow, huh?! LOL Like yellow gatorade coming out your nose! Weird!
My 9 yr old daughter had a similar problem 3 years ago and and it was a sinus infection and had amoxcyllin (and lots of tisuues) which sorted it out quickly.  And amoxcyllin it is also yellow and I told her not to put her head upside down to do her hair in case it came out of her nose :)

My kids have been prescibed Amoxcyllin whenever they've had an infection which needs antibiotics and it's always worked.

My advice.  If you're worried go and see your Doctor.  She/He knows best

Andy

HI, me too! left nostril when i bend over i start the drip drip drip only its clear and tastes little salty. But i then blow my nose and it stops till the next event. I too have had a cold/ sinus ache on the left side. I also feel that i might be dripping while i sleep only down my throat. not sure?? I find this whole thing a little scary as my ENT said it might be Brain fluid seepage not a pleasant prospect. And if it is Brain leakage, what is the course of treatment??? Any advise any body? Is surgery a option?
thanks up front
the Dripper
i've had clear fluid dripping intermittently out of my left nostril (sometimes right) for 14 years usually in the spring and fall.  i was diagnosed at first  with a spontaneous csf leak and had surgery for it but it didn't seem to 'work'.  they can never find the leak through ct scans and mris.  it stopped for almost two years and has come back again.  i went to see my neurosurgeon and he said that the last ct scan i had showed i had very wicked sinus issues and he thinks that it's from my sinuses.  not sure.  but to the people who are afraid of it being csf.  if i do actually have that leak, i've had it for years.  i have to go get the fluid tested.  it's clear and has never been yellow.  

i'm blown away by how many left side leakers there are.  i sometimes wonder if they jumped the gun on diagnosing me with a csf leak when it's really bad sinus problems.  especially since it happens at the exact same times of the year.  i lose about a tablespoon at a time out of my nose.  i also have large gobs of clear snot that i can blow out of my nose and can feel the goo going down my throat.  

this last episode of dripping came after a course of antibiotics for a chest/nose infection.  the secretions were yellow now clear.  allergies?
I had the same thing at work after a week of having a tooth infection spread and I have been on Amoxcyllin for the past three or four days myself. I have been in the same situation before and never had this happen so it freaked me out. Happen when I was at work and I work nights so I knew I could not just take off and go home to call the doctor. So I stuck it out and found this place. Glad its a normal thing.

Funny how a lot of people are saying they never had this before now.
a bright yellow fluid smelling like blood plasma and getting sticky as it dries quickly, yes IT IS CAUSED ONLY FROM SINUS INFECTIONS, NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT CSF.. i've had sinus problems since in primary school and still having.
Just a tip : Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is a clear bodily fluid . In fact its the only true fluid in a person's body that is "Clear". The fluid coming from your nose is not clear fluid. When  mucus gets infected by bacteria or viruses, it changes color, to yellow and possibly green. Yellow mucus is not only a good indication that your body has a sinus infection but is also an indicator that it is fighting off the infection.
Hope this helps :D

so glad i just read this, thought something was seriously wrong!!

Bent over to put some plates away & this bright yellow fluid started running from my left nostril, felt like a nose bleed.

I have been on amoxicilyn for the past 4 days after a bad sinus infection & cold!!

feel better though after reading that its quite normal, just hope it doesn't happen in public!!!
This has been happening to me for the past 6 years, but it only occurs about once a year and it is always after a head injury,  The first time I was tackled and the back of my head hit the ground really hard, when i stood up, i thought i had a nose bleed, but it was yellowe fluid, not like snot at all, it was like yellow water, the next year i hit my head on a trampoline bar, same thing happened, next i hit my head on the ground during a stunt at cheer practice, another time if was after i was doing back flips.. which was weird, and my senior year of highschool, i was hit in th head with a basketball, what was weird about this time is that it didnt come out of my nose for about an hour later.  This hasnt happened again for 2 years, and I went to an amusment park the other day, riding a lot of rollercoasters where the back of my head was being pounded, the next night the fluid came out again, This time it happened 4 times in one night and twice the next day, that had never happened before... But it is always after some sort of head injury, and mine is never after a cold.. I have no clue what it could be,.. but since it happened so many times the other night i was prepared for it to happen, so i caught some in a container, and I may take it to my doctor...
Did anyone ever get a diagnosis?
Thank you for saying IT IS ONLY A SINUS INFECTION.  Like almost everyone else, I was bent over.  I was lowering my computer at work.  Suddenly I felt a pain on the left side of my head, over my left eye/forehead area.  All of a sudden, a gush of yellow fluid poured from my LEFT nostril, first I thought it was nosebleed, then to my horror I realized it was yellow.  And yes Taip, it smelled like blood plasma, and got sticky as it dries.  My coworkers sent me to the walk in clinic right away.  The Doctor there said it was 'really weird' and he had never seen anything like it.  I told him that it looked as if there was 'orange juice' or 'pee' coming out of my nose.  He made me blow my left nostril really hard but nothing came.  He said he is sure it's not CSF cause CSF is clear and would cause some major problems if it was leaking.  I felt fine and went back to work.  He said to come back if it happened again but it didn't thankfully.  Like almost everyone else, a couple days before I had a really bad cold and throat infection fo which I was taking Amoxicillin.  I am in my thirties, have had colds and throat infections before and this has never happened.  I hope one day some research will be done so that we can have some proper diagnosis.  It is scary when it happens, I was waiting to pass out or something lol.  I called friends and family to tell them what had happened.  If anyone gets any additional info please post.  Thanks.
im such a hypocrondriac when it comes to anything i just got off work today and bent over to turn the water on in the shower and at first it felt and tasted like a nose bleed then to my shock i called my mom she being a medical assisstant has some knowledge and reassured me it was probably just a sinus infection and everything else ive read has said the same thing im pretty sure if it was spinal fluid i should be a lot worse off
Very reassuring to see so many people experience such a freakish event. I thought I would share my experience in case anyone else has something similar.

About a week and a half ago, I had a bad flu but was over it by the time I saw my ENT specialist a few days ago (for septioplasty). He gave me a nasaloscopy which involved a serious decongestant/anaesthetic being sprayed into my nose and, after looking around, said my sinuses and adenoids (adenoids) were clear and there were no cysts, however I did have a little yellow pus my sinuses waiting to be discharged. He said it was nothing to worry about and that it would release in the next few days and was just sinuses clearing the bacteria from my flu.  After the decongestant wore off, I had head congestion which lasted a few days but peaked today.

Today, I went to the bathroom and felt something dribbling our my left nostril, blew my nose and that freakish highlighter yellow liquid came out. It felt warm and did not stop running, just like a nosebleed, until about using up 4-5 tissues of wiping and blowing my nose. Scared me silly as I've never seen something that colour come out of my body. After it finished, my nose is now clear and I can breathe freely from my left nostril and my head congestion is significantly lighter.  If it happens again, I will speak to my ENT specialist again but I'm pretty sure this was the buildup of pus he was talking about. I would never class it as a 'small amount' like he did though!
Last week I had a sinus surgery to open my sinus passages because of chronic sinusitus. I have had this since february and this "cold" has persisted up until the surgery. So a little over a week ago I had this surgeryu and yesterday was when I first had this neon yellow discharge come out of my nose. I think it was the left nostril but I didnt think to check until everyone was posting it...
Anyways I just had it again today and it is tin but when you touch it to your finger it is sticky and will come up so it definatly had a thickness to it but it is definatly much, much thinner than your average discharge from the nose. I had it come out when I was bending down and coming back up. I am still worried about it to a degree and am going to call my surgeon just to check in, but I thought I would through it out there for anyone who had the same surgery.
Thanks for sharing this, very useful to identify my problem. I have similar problems. When I bent over after morning sport, clear fluid dripping  out from my right nostril. I didn't  look at the color, it was mixed up with my sweat on my towel. Since the fluid comes out regularly, every time I bent over, so I noted it's yellow clear fluid and seems getting more yellow now. I have no cold, cough or severe pain, but feeling a bit uncomfortable on my chest area. I had root canal 2 weeks ago, but unsure if this fluid leaking before or after the root canal. I have ton's of allergy symptom, so in the beginning I assume it was allergy symptom. I am sure this is not allergy symptoms from the color. Will see my GP this friday, and posted the result.
This site would be great if a doctor would tune in and just give us an explanation... sounds pretty common to me.

Here is my two-cents... I get sinus infections at the rate of about 5 per year.  I suppose you'd call that chronic.  My sinus infection is 2-3 days long, starts with achey (achy) sinuses and a stuffed nose, and ends with this yellowish fluid coming out.  It'll just drip out all day in the case of today, other days I'll blow my nose, and 2 seconds later a teaspoon of the yellow stuff will come out.  But it always marks the END of the infection, so tomorrow I'm thinking I'll be feeling a lot better.  I checked out this site to see if people thought it was brain fluid.  Doesn't sound like that's what it is according to people on this site.  Never heard of CSF though so I should go look that up.  But i'm still alive and this has been going on for years.
My dentisit said: Chlor irritation from root canal treatment can cause yellow liquid discharge from the nose. My GP said: it will be healed naturally after 2-3 weeks. If not then he will give me a medication (neus spray).  
This has just happened to me over the last couple of days and i'm so glad I found this forum as all your replies have made me laugh.  
Firstly i thought my brain was leaking, but i have had an headache, toothache and generally felt unwell for a few days.  Reading the forum has definintly saved me a trip to my GP.  Hope you're all better soon.
My daughter had this start happening yesterday afternoon, it was really strange, she bent over to pick up something that she dropped and suddenly there was several drops of bright yellow sticky fluid all over the floor.  About 10 minutes later I had bent back over and again here came the strange yellow fluid.  This continued a few more times during the evening even when she was just sitting still and upright.  We went to the ER my physician's nurse suggested we do so and well the PA on duty had no real answer except maybe sinus but told us she was not concerned because she presented with no other symptoms that would indicate CSF and sent us home.  So I would say, " it was inconclusive."  To all of those who are concerned I would say, "always take care of your health it's not anything to play around with."
O WOW i am soo grateful for the internet. i had a cold about a week ago and i didn't even think it was that bad but iv continually had drainage and i thought it was getting better but i was laying in bed going to sleep tonight and had so much i coughed like i thought i had a hacker (gross i know) but it wasn't a hacker and then i felt like i had a nose bleed and i had been lying on my back so i thought ooo grreeaatt i went to the sink and leaned over with a tissue and this yellow just pours out of my nose and i freaked out and called the ER to see if i should go in bc i don't have ins ( i live in the U.S.) and they wouldn't tell me if i should be alarmed or not so now i'm afraid to go to sleep that i might die and i live alone and no one would know. but i feel better after reading this since i am just over a cold and havn't any reason for CSF leakage that i know of i will just watch myself closer thank you everyone who commented
Had the same thing - bright yellow fluid exiting left nostril, but please, nobody panic. I did, and thought I was also leaking csf, but the doc called this evening and said it was probably just a cyst in the sinus cavity that burst for some reason. They're going to take a CT scan of the sinuses just to be sure, but it's probably nothing.

These things are benign more often than not (actually almost always)..; and apparently more common than anyone thought (by reading all the comments on this board). So please do yourselves a favor, relax... take a deep breath, blow your nose and get on with whatever you were doing :-) If I hear any new news after the scan, I'll pass it along.
My drip happens in the morning or whenever I awake from sleep.
Sometimes it starts when I am sleeping and I can feel clear fluid pouring from my nose.
It's rather embarrasing. Sometimes its so bad, I would have to stack my nose with tissue and in no time, the tissue is drenched!
Usually it would last for about 20 mins or so after I get up and start moving around.
I've been to doctors and none of the meds have worked.
Lately, I think this condition has led to halitosis.
I think its gross and I'd give anything to get rid of this problem!
My concern is a little different, any thoughts would be helpful.  5 days ago I went to the Dr with a sinus infection and she gave me Zithromax.  Pressure is gone and I have gotten some better but like I thought I would.  Then this morning I felt a little worse, kind of draggy, got a minor nose bleed on the side with the infection (left side) as I was blowing my nose a very runny/thin/watery clear liquid poured out of my right nostril.  It's 8 hours later and I feel a little better but the clear liquid has me a little worried.  I was not yellow, no odor, and it just poured out, maybe a tablespoon or so.
Hi.. i have experienced this awhile ago.. i was trying to find something in my room which is kinda dusty.. then a watery yellow fluid comes out from my nose.. i thought it was just caused by the dusts which i usually experience every time i inhale dust.. but when i wiped my nose with a tissue, i was shocked because its yellow.. i talked to a nurse friend but she can't tell what is it really.. then she asked me if a bumped my head or something.. i said no but i was slapped by my boyfriend on the head and it kinda made me dizzy for a while.. it was 3 days ago.. Is this yellow fluid coming out from my nose caused by the slap? please help me.. i'm really scared.. thank you..
this first happend to me 3 months ago, when i was working on my car, i slipped and just hit my head on the wing of the car, not hard at all, just a tap really, then got back up and the yellowy fluids poured out my nose, cant remember which nostril.. was very scared, but just ignored it, then yesterday, when fighting with my brother lol (only a brotherly fight hehe) i had my head bent down and when i lifted it back up, it poured out again, all over the floor and my trousers, then i wiped it, 5 mins later, bent down and it happend again, but not so much.. this topic has reassured me that its not serious, but i might still pop into my doctors just to make sure... :D
Hi there, I also had the same thing last night and was frustrated and anxious of what this could be. Also I've made a CT scan to see whether it's a brain related issue or what. Thanx Allah it's not something serious as I can understand from your comments.

It's really the first time I experience this water alike yellow liquid coming out of my left part of the nose
i went snowboarding and hit my head in the back twice and an hour ago when i was playing sports my nose started running watery and yellow... is it because I hit my head?
I had the same thing just happin to me i was under our house trying to get our puppies to come out and my nose started to drain bright yellow and i thought my nose was bleeding so i startd to freek so i  decided to look it up and u guys helpd me alot thanx .  
I just had the same thing.  I talked to my doctor on the phone and this is what she told me:

Probably just sudden sinus drainage.  I've been taking mucinex (after a sinus infection and bronchitis for which I was treated with amoxicillin).

HOWEVER:

If you also experience the following, go to emergency: significant headaches, vision problems or fever (or I imagine a combination of these).

It is VERY rare, but sometimes a very bad sinus infection can eat through the cavity and cerebral-spinal fluid can leak.  CSF tends to be clear, however.
This just happened to me 10 minutes ago. Was pouring a bowl of cereal and had my head tilted forwards and it felt like my nose was about to bleed from my right nostril. Luckily I had just got some tissue and put it in my pocket cause I've been suffering with a cold lately so I had it there straight away because I didn't want to bleed all over the kitchen, but was concerned even more when I found it to be a yellow liquid. Thought it may have been mucus mixed with blood or something, but general consensus seems to be a sinus infection that happens post cold. Thank you all for posting your experiences on here too. Has made me feel much better before I go to sleep. No nightmares now.
Yep, it happened to me today too. I leaned fwd and felt like I had blood coming out of my left nostril. Grabbed a tissue and was freaked out by the odd yellow color. I'm 50 yrs old and have never seen that color stuff come from my nose. I did have a tooth pulled (upper back -left side) 11 days ago. A few day afterward s  I developed  bloody sinus drainage. I returned to the dentist 6 day after having the tooth yanked and told him about the sinus problems. He started me on antibiotics 5 days ago. The blood and drainage got better but today.... Yellow stuff... Yuk. Glad to see some info here. I feel now that I may be having (post sinus infection) drainage. Thanks for everyone post. I feel better now, but will finish my antibiotics..
A few years ago I had correction of a deviated septum and while they were in there they layered my turbinates to help chronic sinusitis.  Between the two...much relief of long-suffering.  I constantly felt like I had just accidentally gotten a snoot full of dirty pool water up my nose and got 5 to 10 bad infections a year.  No more of that.  May 1 or 2 a year, usually following a nasty cold, like a normal person.  Took a long time to recover from surgery.  Not allowed to blow my nose for a couple of weeks.  "derided"(scraped and hosed out of the old blood snot and jelly gauze packing) at the ENT's office regularly for a few weeks, then I went to self care with the Neil Med rinses several times a day.  Sometimes some rinse would get trapped and surprise me by springing a sudden leak when I bent over.  2 or 3 times tho, what came out was yellow-and I mean brightest neon highlighted yellow.  Shocking does not cover it.  And when I would stand it would trickle into my throat enough taste...super salty and weird.  Saltier than ocean water or the Sinus rinses and that stuff is really salty.  My doc also poo-pooed the idea of a csf leak, as I see some on here have, but he was seeing me at least weekly and I certainly had no infection, probably had the cleanest honker in town.  Anatomically, it is possible to have a leak that can come and go at the barrier between sinus and the linings that hold the csf around the brain.  It's just rare, so they'll always defer to something else.  I know that's what was dripping out of me.  Had a sick headache for about 12 hours each time it happened then I was fine with no intervention.  From what I hear that's actually getting off easy, but pretty classic course for a small,spontaneous,self-sealing leak.
Yep, same here. I have just been getting over a terrible flu. This was a flu that everyone I know got. The only thing is I am the only one whom has had the neon nose leak. I sustained a "cheek" injury last september where I caught an orbital blowout aswell as fractures along the left side of my nose and one along where my temple meets my eye socket. I am now convinced that I am still healing and getting over infection of the nasal area.  I have always found some small blood when cleaning out my nose. I still avoid blowing it very hard as to avoid unnecessary pressures. Are there any accounts of this neon yellow fluid before say 2005? This may be harmless, but very new to the human race all together.
Same thing, at the end of a cold this week, leaned over the bathroom sink and had a drip from my nose.  I grabbed a tissue to wipe it and was shocked to see the bright yellow color.  It continued for about 5 minutes on and off.  I tried blowing my nose gently to see what happened, but it didn't clear it.  It just came and then stopped on its own.  No further occurrences the rest of the day.  I'm amazed that I've never seen or heard of this before. I'm 62 years old.  I'm grateful to see that others have had this, doesn't seem to to be lasting or serious otherwise.
So this happened to me last night and ofcorse i freaked a little because i am also 7 months pregnant and every time i bent over this watery neon yellow fluid dripped from my right nostrel ALOT of it to which it was such a concern to me. after about 20 mins of this it stopped and i went to bed. the next morning i awoke and it was fine, then about an hour later i was laying on the floor with my one year old coloring and it started again. this is when i called my doctor, i was not in any pain no headachs nothing really, but slight blurred vision. but that could be my hormones from being pregnant, and when i was reading everyones post the night before i started to be more n nire concered. i also was sick about 3 weeks before this with sinus pressure and i have also been bumping my head extreamly hard on lifts at work and a cabinet door right before this began but when this started i felt fine no sinus pressure or sickness, and to come find out at the moment none of those things are what was wrong. My doctor told me i had lots of fluid build up in my ears,, which is really weird because i didnt feel any of this. She was not alarmed at all, no brain or spinalfluid or cysts just drainage. watery liquid that is really neon yellow. i have never ever in my life seen this happen before was so weirded out. but i have been put on amoxicilan to clear up the infection or allergies. And if it still continues after a week i have to go back. So i thought everyone would love this piece of mind that we are not freaks and this happens to people on a normal bases. even though it was the first time for me, lol if it dosnt clear up and i go back i will repost in a week. Good luck everyone.  Also she wanted me to use a humidifyer and drink lots of fluids since i cant have a strong does of antiboiotics since im prego. okiee my strangge yellow leaking fluid people :) hope this helped...
Hi, am spitting yellow fluid and blood along side. I had undergone a BAWO last year. I got maxillary sinus and it was the beginning. Now after 8 months am experiencing the same problem again (Spiting yellow fluid + blood regularly, headache, fever, itching nose) Is it a Chronic Sinuses?

Help Please!
Starting just a few days ago my left nostril started to get real stuffy, I thought it was because of the pollen levels but it was only my left nostril being affected. When I blew my nose a bright yellow fluid came out. Everyone else here says theirs is watery and flowed out of their nose when they bent over but mine is thick and sticky and a little transparent. I've had sinus infections before but this doesn't feel like one at all.

I have frequent head rushes which often times lead to short blackouts. About a week ago I had a pretty bad head rush and I passed out for I think about 5 minutes or so ( I can't remember) when I woke up on the floor I had a splitting headache for a few hours and for the rest of the day I was dizzy. I think I hit my head pretty hard on something on the way down, either the floor or the wall that was behind me (I don't remember this either). Could this be a CSF leak? Any help would be nice. thank you.
OMG this has just happened to me for the 1st time ever!!! i am 24 and have never seen this kind of bright, fluorescent liquid before and again.......like everyone on here has experienced....youve guessed it, my LEFT nostril. I wonder why its always the left. anyway, im not gunna worry bout it, its only happened twice in the last 24 hours. BUT i must admit that in 24 years, I have NEVER EVER seen anything the colour and watery texture of this fluid be emitted from my body before!!!!
Had the same drainage from my nose today when I bent over to pick up something but out just ranout and was yellow and found out two days ago I have herpes is it related or something else its wasnt listed in my syptoms (symptoms).
Just had the same,out on a survey to customers house,doing a smoke test on the chimney for a wood burning stove,bent over thought i had a nose bleed,yes also from the left side,with no tissue had to move my hand up in embaresment,noticed my hand covered in bright yellow flued,panicked and went to emergency,doctors confirmed they have never came across such symptoms in all there years of practice,and yes i also have had a bad cold and cheast infection for the last 10 day,s,glad to put my mind at ease after reading this forum
This discussion if very interesting and informative. I am an old man and have never had a sinus infection. Instead I had lteral head rot during most of my life, that I can now forestall with, are you ready for this, cotton swabs.
I have not had a cold for about five years, and like most others here, I have never had yellow liquid dripping from my nose. Until a recent morning when such ran out of my right nostril. I have some different theories that have not been touched upon on this board about “yellow liquid” that I would like to discuss.
Very similar thing has happened to me, I'm just getting over a sinus infection/cold and I blew my nose to find the very runny yellowish fluid. I continued to drip even after I stopped blowing my nose. Being a pre med student I was quite worried when i seen the color of it. I one of my professors (who has 3 doctorates in various medical fields, one of which is neuro) and he said it was just a form of less viscous mucus and that the yellow coloration was from the infection. The only thing that differs from all of your stories and my own is that the fluid came from my right nostril and not the left.  
Two wks ago I had a spinal procedure (esi). Suddenly three days ago every time I bend over my left nostril and tear ducts suddenly begin weeping clear fluids uncontrollably. It usually takes several minutes of being back in the upright position and many tissues before it stops. Other symptoms since my procedure ;severe fatigue, sleeping all the time, shaky hands, numb hands and same back pain. Any thoughts?  Should I inform my nuerologist or seek emergent care?
same symptoms began this week - out of left nostril.  Interesting thing is I had a root canal on my back tooth # 15 48 hours prior to the discharge beginning.The dentist of course says there is no relation, but I'm 100% convinced there is.  It feels like it is related to the ear canal, but if I put my head in a certain position and lean over, I can make the discharge occur.  GOing to ENT soon.
this happens to me every couple of months or so while i am sleeping and it is always out of my right  and it is clear   it only happenes when sleeping , i have never had a cold   did not start happning until a couple years ago .... and i am currently on 2 differnt antibiotics for seperate issues so ?????
It took nine months after the fluid was draining for me to end up with viral meningitis, make sure that you start on antibiotics asap, the fluid not only comes out of your nose, it also goes down your throat mostly every time you swallow, causing bacteria to get into your system. The same symptoms are back and now im dealing with round two.....wish me luck.
I had a similar experience much like that described by many of you. This was in about 1999-2000, I had been treated for close to a year for what we thought was an ongoing sinus allergy or infection. More than one round of antibiotics, every decongestant known to man, and still I was stuffy.

Sat up in bed one morning, and as I did -- swoosh! -- out came a lot of the highlighter-yellow fluid. I was quite taken by surprise and it drenched my nightgown. Got an MRI and turned out to be a common sinus polyp -- easy surgery to remove it.

No real issues since, although I suspect something similar may be starting again, as I'm often now what my sister calls "snozzy."
Wow!  I was freaking out until I read all of this, but with the yellow fluid that came out about 20 minutes ago I also have a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes prior to the drainage but I will see  a doctor Tom.
I had sinus surgery almost exactly a year ago (due to chronic sinus infection) and ever since, this strange drainage has occurred to me three times, lasting up to a week. It's disgusting and embarrassing, for if I'm in school and I tilt my head the wrong way, the bright yellow/clear liquid pours from my nostril. It switched off from right to left, staying consistant with what side it is at that time. Right now it's coming from my right nostril, has been since this morning.
When I continue to tilt my had to help the rest of it drain, sometimes it starts coming out of my tear ducts in my eye. Ew.
I've had major nosebleeds as a young child and chronic sinus infections ever since. Could this be a result from my suck-ish nose or the surgery?
Hi I recently notice yellow fluid running out of my left nostril too I am very scared I really don't no what to do
Wow, glad that I read this.  I too this morning was bending over to wipe up the bathroom floor and all of a sudden, out of my left nostril poured yellowish clear fluid.  I am in the middle of a head and chest cold.  No head trauma.  I at first thought it was a bloody nose, but the color was kind of funky.  I have been sneezing quite a bit lately as well.  I am glad to hear that it is probably my sinuses, which are going crazy lately.  I bent over again after the first time it happened and I made it happen again.  I am wondering if I should go and get some antibiotics for a sinus infection.  I have been plahued with this cold for over a week now.   I wonder why this is common only in the left nostril?  Weird....If anyone is told anything more severe than a sinus infection, please post out here.  
Always go get a professional opinion before making your own opinion when it comes to your health.  However CSF fluid is clear and not at all sticky.  And has a metallic like taste.  So if you are tasting a metal like substance when you swallow, get to a doctor ASAP.

I am also experiencing this things that you have mentioned.

1. It is not so yellowish at first, i just experience this thing some minutes ago and i google it immediately. It's like water and it is a lot!

2. It is always on my right side. I hope it is not something of a brain damage or kind of like that. I m thinking of taking amoxicillin in the morning.

3. If it becomes worst. I will really have to go to a doctor.
Same thing just happened with me, i was playing basketball and got hit in the face (directly on my left sinus) basically got punched with the guys knuckles and yellow-orangish water flew outta my nose and for a while i could feel it in the back of my throat too, should i get this checked out??
I was sleeping when it happened to me, i wasnt bent over I was sleeping on my stomach. It felt like the bloody nose, I could taste it I have no clue what it tasted like, but it was tart and strong. I have came down with a cold but it is the first time in 6 years since I have been sick. The past 6 years i have ran every day until now.
** Possible link to 12-hour nasal decongestant spray?? **

I've had this happen to me two times, two years apart, and both times following a time when I had a cold.  The only unique thing about both those times is those were the only times when I had used one of the over-the-counter 12-hour nasal sprays to open up my nasal cavities so I could breathe through my nose.  The spray was very effective, but I now strongly suspect that it played a role in the liquid watery discharge I experienced at the end of my cold.

Have any of you experienced the yellow, watery mucus episode after having used one of these 12-hour nasal decongestants?  Particularly one containing Oxymetazoline HCL?  (The brand I used was Anefrin from Walgreens)
In the past two weeks this has been happening to me at night while I am sleeping and when I bend over.  I have not had a cold, sinus infection or any trauma.  I do suffer from migraines for many years and this has never happened.  I did however just have a root canal on 1/9.  I called the Endodontics office and my dentist and both said they never heard of this situation and to contact my primary care physician.  I just find it weird that is did not start until after my root canal.  
I looked this up as I experienced the gush of clear BRIGHT yellow thin mucous from left nostril only...
A sinus cyst is the culprit!!  Makes total sense, too.  
+++++ I am a 3rd year medical student and have a theory about what is happening.  I too have had this watery yellow drainage sporadically for the last couple off weeks after having a sinus infection.  My theory is that the sinuses have some residual dried mucus that is making it difficult for them to drain the normal liquids that all mucous membranes (including those lining the sinuses) secrete.  The liquids dissolve some of the dried mucus and take up its yellow color.  As you change the position of your head, (bending over, lieing down or getting up in bed, etc) the fluid moves to a position where it can drain out of the sinus, and consequently drip out your nose.  Think of it like that last bit of salad dressing the bottle:  you have to position the fluid just right so it will flow out the little hole in the cap.  This explaination makes sense to me physiologically and anatomically, but I doubt anyone has done any hard research to back me up.  My suggestion is that unless you recently had a traumatic injury to your head or are experiencing other worrying symptoms, this is probably a benign process after the infllammation caused by sinusitis or having surgery near the sinuses.
I forgot to mention that I often have experienced  seawater draining from my sinuses in a similar way, often many hours after I have been body surfing and gotten tossed around in the waves.
I'd like to suggest the cyst idea to you...  being a 3rd year medical student, you have undoubtedly gone through the human embryology bit already, right?  I liken the cyst in the sinus to the corpus luteum on the ovary right after ovulation.  "yellow body" because of the yellow fluid that creates it.  Just a thought to ponder...  :)
I would like to add that the drainage I experienced was ONLY from one side and was completely CLEAR while being an almost neon yellow color.  It lasted about  half the day and was painless.  It occurred after I vomited, hence some stress/pressure to my head cavity. I did not have any cold symptoms leading up to it. I have had yellow snot before associated with a cold but that has always been cloudy in nature, not clear, and never so VIBRANT.  Crazy what our bodies are capable of!
yeah, this happened to me, too, one or two years ago in school.  today it happened again when i was getting out of the tub.  i don't want to offend anyone that thinks it's mucous, but it's totally different.  also from my left nostril, yellow colored (not yellow snot:o) and easy to distinguish from normal nasal discharge.  so, anyway.  sometimes csf is yellow... i believe if it has excess protein in it.  i have not been sick and am not on any meds, so i'm not as quick to attribute it to a sinus infection or cold.  anyway.  i think we're all ok.  strange, though.  
Yep, what Skunk465 said.  I was really alarmed at first, as I had just clunked my head pretty good in the bathroom.  As I was massaging my wounds, the proverbial neon fluid poured out into white sink.  Talk about FREAKED OUT!  

But that's why Skunk's theory makes so much sense.  I don't have sinus issues...mild allergies and cough-variant asthma, yes, but that head jolt must have loosened something in there just enough to (sorry for the graphic descrip) break free and come pouring out.  And here I had had myself dying of a subdural hematoma!!!  Thanks Skunk...you just saved my life, buddy!!!  ;-)
This is oddly comforting! I thought I was the only one who ever had this. Usually happens when I tilt my head way forward. Sticky, watery, fluorescent yellow fluid just pours out. Thought maybe it was CSF. This has been happening to me since the mid 90s. Nobody in my family or any of my friends ever had this happen. When my nose gushed again a few moments ago I decided to Google the symptoms. There are lots of us, huh?!

Actually told my doctor about it once but couldn't get him to understand that this wasn't snot so I just gave up. It really is surprising, though, how many posters here have mentioned doctors who had never seen or heard of this before.
I had this happen before too.  Another thing someone told me once is that it might be acid reflux (yes from your stomach - gross).  They said that if you are having acid reflux and you bend over, it can keep going up into your nose (it's all attached in there).  I'm not sure how true it is, just an opinion I got from someone - but something to think about...
I totally agree with you!  I have had sinus surgery about 15 years ago.  Since then, every now and again, I will bend over and have "water" pour out of just the right side of my nostril, usually not associated with an infection.  However; when an infection is present, rarely, fluid will continuously pour out for days accompaning face pain.  Slightly yellow and extremely thin, no odor, nor any real flavor.  My doctor has confirmed it is pus.  Antibiotics will clear this up if it's due to an infection.  If it is from allergies, it will pass on it's own.  The trick is to allow it to drain.  If I take something to dry it up, sometimes it will promote an infection.
Today, I bent over and out of my nose ran an odourless, bright yellow, watery consistant fluid, I was a little concerned but dismissed it, then it happened again whilst I was studying at the computer. I had a headache which started yesterday afternoon and was still there this morning, I took some antibiotics, which I keep for my sinuses as the headache was persistant enough for me to think an infection was brewing.
I am a second year nursing student and have been studying hard to complete my final two essays for this year.  Is this a coincidence?
aj
I usually don't get an overall headache, just a face ache.  If you have health insurance, you might want to see a doctor.  Better safe, than sorry. Hope you're feeling better soon.
This is almost just like my situation...The first time this had happened to me was about 2 years ago.  I was just sitting on my couch doing nothing...I was rubbing the back left of my head and all of a sudden this fluid poured out like a faucet. It was sticky and I instantly had the sensation that I had been swimming in water or something. The problem is I hadn't swam in any water and I didn't have any injuries or illnesses. This has happened to me at least 2 or 3 times since then. None of the situations are related except for the fact that every time it happens, the fluid will flow for a little while...then it will stop for a little while but if I rub the back left of my head, it pours out almost everytime this occurs.  I haven't seen a doctor yet so I don't know what it is but I will be going soon. I will try to update you if I remember
Also, I think it's good for me to add that I have a big problem whille riding on planes. My head doesn't pressurize with the cabin correctly. I'm sure these things are related. It kind of sounds like I might have a sinus cavity somewhere that gets filled with this fluid from time to time. I'm sure having a sinus cavity would cause issues with pressure as well...something to think about
Very bad toothache for 4 days after visit to dentist, righ tooth top back. As tooth went started exactly same runny nose yellow discharge right nostril was concerned when I looked at tissue I used bright yellow. I think it's discharge from my infected teeth going into my sinus and exiting from my nose all well now. Isn't the body an amazing machine .xx
I just got it today but I havent gotten a cold lately or anything else.. I'm at the doctors right now to see what is wrong..  I was cleaning and I bent down and I though I was getting a nose bleed but it was yellow so i called the doctor right away. I also layed down and if felt like water was going up my nose.
I had a yellow watery fluid coming from my nose last night. I dont have allergies, nor did i have a cold or anything. It only happened the one time, but it still worries me. I was in a car accident about a year and a half ago, where i flipped over my pick-up truck. Lately i have had problums finding the words i am looking for when i am holding a conversation, nor can i remember the names of places that i have been too like 20 times. The headaches i chalked up too the fact that when i was younger i got migrains all the time and the doctor said it was coming from certain foods i eat and things like soda and that. It hasent happened again. But i dont knw what to do. I pay out of pocket for my insurance so idk if i would even be covered to see a specialist of any kind.
it might be the fluid that surrounds the brain and cushions it from trauma.  I know this sounds funny, but i saw it on a TV show once and a woman had the exact same issue with fluid leaking out her nose and she was having severe headaches.  it turned out the fluid that was cushioning her brain was leaking.  there is a way to patch it but you need to find a doctor.  

my best guess is to google it and see what you can find.
also, the reason you are having headaches is because the fluid level is depleting so the brain is resting on he skull and its painful; there is no fluid there to protect the brain.
again people, would you please just believe me that it is a burst sinus cyst?!  It is normal for cyst fluid to be yellow, clear, odorless, yada yada.  there is no ordinary worry of CSF pouring out of your brain!!  Sure this happens once in a million, but seriously!!
a sinus cyst would only drain for a short period and only from one side.  it is quite probable that it would fill up again and burst at any given point in the future, but not to count on it happening at any regular intervals.

Sinus Cyst.  Please just believe me!!
Clear yellow/orange discharge is not uncommon if there has been any blood in a sinus for an extended period of time (some of the break down products of blood are very yellow/orange)...and a little blood in a sinus can be directly related to some sort of acute sinus infection (sinuses can be infected while you have a cold and this infection can go unnoticed due to other cold symptoms).

This fluid can remain trapped until the sinus opening un-swells...and the bending over action that most people describe can result in rapid discharge from a sinus...particularly if it has runny fluid in it.

For anyone that thinks it is a CSF leakage, it is almost certainly not. That would be incredibly rare in a person that had not suffered some major head trauma, had recent surgery on nose, brain, etc. If you really want to be sure, taste some...if it's sweet, better see the doc :)   If it's salty, I just made you taste booger :P
HABANERO!!!! My girlfriend just blew her nose this morning and bright yellow mucus came out, initially. She has been sick for a week or two and I figure its just the bacteria trying to reestablish in the sinuses. I got her to lick a habanero pepper that I sliced right down the middle. She didn't flood with mucus as I hoped (to flush the sinuses), instead she just said her tongue burned. She blew her nose again a few minutes later and nothing really came out aside from a small amount of completely clear sticky mucus, THEN>>>>>>> the yellow "bloody nose". After saying wow for a minute or two, I found this site. Thought the info might help someone. I hypothesize a few things but in general it seems that the caspiasin(?) of the pepper helped produce fluid (uh, duh). You know that runny nose after eating something hot? This time it brought the yellow bacterial residue with it on its way out. Before the pepper, it was that nasty weak yet tacky yellow form of bacterial snot, after it was translucent yellow. Is it progress?
Cerebral Spinal Fluid (CSF) is CLEAR; it has a high content of GLUCOSE, not sodium, so if it tastes salty it is NOT CSF.  Any fluid that comes out of your nose that is bright yellow is most certainly NOT CSF;
hi. how are you all feeling. my concern is that that yellow fluid first came out of my nose when I accidentally bumped my head on someone when I was playing volleyball. and there was three more instances and the last one was when I was hit by a basketball in the head yesterday. and today my left nose where the fluid came is clogged, can someone help of by telling of something about this yellow fluid
I just had this same thing happen. I've been recovering from being sick for about a week and half or so now. I was blowing my nose this morning just to make sure I was getting all the flem (phlegm) out of my sinuses and instead it was this liquidy yellow discharge. I kept blowing it out because I assumed it was something that wasn't suppose to be in there and that my sinuses were draining out the bad stuff. However, after I stopped blowing my nose it continued to drip down onto my bathroom sink and my sleeve. I didn't realize it was doing it on its own. It was only from the left nostril. Hopefully everything is okay. From what everyone is saying it seems like some of it is alright. I'll see how long it persists. If no one else can give me a concrete answer and it happens for a long enough time I suppose I'll just have to go see a doctor, though I have no insurance and I'm pregnant right now so I really can't afford to be spending any money on anything unimportant. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know!!
Same thing happened to me just now. I bend down to get my books from the bottom shelf and all of a sudden yellow fluid ran down my right nose. It was yellowish colour and sticky. It drips only when I bend.
I had very unusual pain mostly on the right side of my head and face all day. I feel that it may have been caused by sinusitis. In our traditional medicine, the doctors usually advise patients with sinusitis to avoid sugary food. And I have experimented the doctor's claim and I found out it to be so true. I don't usually fancy ice cream but yesterday I had too much and then resulted with sticky yellowish fluid. I remember experiencing same thing some time back.
I had the same thing happen numerous times. The first time (about 10-12 years ago) was after a minor head injury. Although I never saw a doctor about it, I believe that may have created or cracked something. Regardless, after that event I never had any other problems. Until studying abroad. Because I believe the discharge is linked to my sinuses I think it has been happening more recently do to a combo of new pollen and pollution. Coming from an agricultural part of Oregon and currently living in Tokyo that is my assumption.

As a note. Mine also always comes from the left side when I am bending down.  
After visiting my dentist three days ago for a gum/tooth problem and after taking Amoxicillin and Metronidazole prescribed by him, i have had a show of yellow fluid from my right nostril when blowing my nose.I do have a regular blocked rh nostril especially when the surrounding temperature is quite warm,for this i use an over the counter nasal spray as little as possible.My thought in my case is the antibiotics are having a go at a recurring sinus infection.Hope this posting helps.Steve.
I've had a congested left sinus for about 10 days now. Strictly the left. Ever since I got bronchitis 3-4 years ago I started getting 2 or 3 minor sinus infections per year. Nasal spray wasn't working this time, I tried to use it sparingly. Every day I would wake up hoping it would finally be clear. It was never painful, and I was never officially sick from it. It was just annoying. The past couple days it had gotten less annoying, maybe I was getting used to it or it was getting better... but this morning I got up, it was still a little stuffy so of course I start testing it and blowing it. After I'd been up about a half hour I was blowing my nose and I got 1 chunk of phlegm and as I was finally getting some breathing out of my left nostril this yellowish clear liquid started to come out. I'd never seen it so I kept trying to blow it out. It came out sporadically for a few minutes. It doesn't seem to be coming now but I definitely thought it was weird since I've never had anything like this. When I saw people saying it's a brain thing I got a little freaked out, haha, because I've never had brain issues or ever really suffered a major physical trauma. For now, considering my 10-day sinus congestion has finally given way a little I'm going to think it's part of that infection draining. However if I'm still seeing stuff days from now or in the near future I will be consulting a doc!
Same story as many others here. When bending over to drink some water from the tap, this yellowish, fluorescent fluid leaked out one nostril (right one) yesterday. Felt like a nose bleed. Have had quite a long and bad cold (about 3 weeks now), and am just recovering. Have used nasal spray occasionally, about one week ago, total 3 or 4 times. Today, it just happened again. Interestingly, I am just feeling better again for some days now (but still a remainder of a cough).
I am so thankful to read this and I am also feeling like a complete fool!  I have been fighting a severe sinus infection for two weeks and am on Keflex.  Today I bent over and this stuff started poring out my nose but it was more a orange/yellow and it was sticky.  I really thought that I somehow had ear wax pouring out my nose.  When it dried it was even like ear wax.  Gross!  So I will go back to doc tomorrow and probably be told it is just the sinus infection.  What I find curious about this issue is the fact that a majority of the people with this occuring it just comes out the left side.   I wonder why that is or if it is anatomy related although I thought the sinus' are the same on both sides.  Hmmm Once again thank you.  Take care of yourselves.
I just noticed yellowish transperent liquid coming out from my left hand nose every night when I bend down my head,for the past 4days now.I'm worried about it!!is it normal?or what could be the cause?and what can I use to treat it?
I wish my last post was my last, but here we go:

So that 10 day sinus infection was NOTHING. My sinuses stayed perfectly clear and good for 3 days after that, but then it came back and it hasn't gone away since. I went to the doctor April 13th. They gave me azithromycin, which I took over 5 days and it didn't clear it out. I've tried sinus sprays, saline sprays, phenylephrine, sudophedrine, Mucinex DM, Mucinex SINUS-MAX-- nothing. Nothing in the way of long-term effectiveness or cure.

There's just good days and bad days now, and my asthma has come back in the past week making things a little harder, plus giving me a cough at times, too. It's super annoying and I'm super mad about it. I never want to go out and do anything because I've turned into a mouth-breather. And I sound like I permanently have a horrible cold. "I soud like dis, like I'b all stupped up all the tibe!" Every day I go into work I hear 'dude, you're STILL sick??' It's just my new voice now, always sounding like I have a cold.

I was able to sleep OK except with my mouth open, but with the asthma back I usually wake up around 4 5 or 6am out of breath and need to use my inhaler before going back to sleep. But back to the sinuses: I can hardly breathe through my nose at all now. I can breathe in usually (not very effective), but when I breathe out or try to blow my nose there's little to no airflow. I can actually feel something flapping around in there that blocks my sinus if I try to breathe too hard. I have to blow my nose several times a day, but I have to 'feel out' airpaths by constantly manipulating my nostrils to alter the air path. And I'll get a bunch of clear mucous but it never ends. My nose just says perpetually stuffy.

Including that 3-day clear up, this has been going on for 6+ weeks now. 3 or 4 times over this period I've had HUGE mucous globs come out of my left nostril, like thick gooey stuff (always white/clear maybe slightly yellow). I keep thinking, 'that's it, that's the blockage, it's out!' but it never clears. I've had no clear/yellow drippage (the thing that brought me here to begin with), no nosebleeds or anything like that.

You know how normally you can just sit there and breathe in and out of your nose, no problem? Haha, NOT FOR ME. It's awful. The worst thing is I'm kind of getting used to it. I'm afraid I'm becoming one of those people with permanent sinus issues, and the worst thing is, it just happened to me randomly! One day, I'm fine, breathing through my nose my entire life except times when I'm sick and stuffy, and all the sudden, bam everything clogs up FOR NO REASON WITHOUT WARNING turning me into a non-nose breathing person. I really got used to breathing through my nose for 31 years... I'm so frustrated. I'll be going back to the doctor, but there's no rush, since I'm used to it. I have a feeling they'll tell me the same stuff, and maybe prescribe me another antibiotic that won't work... =(
I've been recovering from a cold for a week now and after bending over to pick something up a bright yellow fluid started running from my right nostril. About 2 tablespoons of the stuff, it felt like a nose bleed. The liquid was bright yellow and watery but didn't have a noticeable odour. Same as most folks here. I'm 31 and have been taking Clarityn the last few days. Also the first time I've every experienced this. I'm inclined to think that it must be due to a nasal infection as people have suggested.
I just banged my head really hard running down the stairs and I fell to my knees cause I saw white. When I was on the ground I thought I had a nose bleed cause I could feel liquid running out of my nose. I put my hand there expecting blood and I just found snot, as if my nose was running due to cold weather. It's late May by the way. My nose just kept dripping and dripping. Never experienced anything like this before. My fiance got me some tissues and I blew my nose and that's when I saw the "yellow" tint or color that my snot was. After some research on the inter webs I found out that it wasn't snot at all, but some sort of hembreal fluids. I haven't seen the doctor cause I feel fine and I have no insurance, so I just hope that it was just a weird occurence.
It happened 3 times to me 2 months apart. My nose would feel stuffed, then I blew my nose, then a florescent yellow-orange liquid started running. I thought it was a nose bleed, It seemed to pour right out of my left nostril. After It was done, the congestion in my left nostril was gone... This started happening after I had sinus surgery where the doctor removed a cyst from my left sinus.
every time i drink a bottle of wine each day for about two weeks my sines dries up and get infected then yellow wartery disarge flows out my nose stop drinking wine for a week and it clears up
Hey it just happened to me to on left side after blowing my nose..i have had cold for last two weeks n had dentist appointment this morning on left side up..can it be related to that?
Hi everyone I just woke up this morning still in bed laying dwn my nose started to run on left side it felt like like a bloodly nose but it wasn't whn I wiped it was kinda of a orange color liquid have no clue whts going on never happen b4 to me n all day now its been running off and on just a little bit of earache nothing else no soar throat n headache no surgerys nothing but whn I do bend over it gets worse so I try not too so plz if ne one has a clue wht it cud b plz let me know n if its something I shud go to the er for ty
Does anybody have a cure for this or real cause,I feel extremely well and yesterday did have lots of vitamins but this is yellow fluid from my nose looks like highlighter yellow water.
Same yellowish watery fluid started to come out of my right nostril all of a sudden. Went to the toilet to blow my nose clear & a thicker yellow fluid came out later with a streak of blood perhaps.

Reading the comments above, now I think the tooth ache I felt two days in the morning was caused by this as well. Will see a doctor too. But this is for sure Sinus related infection.
Have any of you had blood noses that happens a few times a year for me As it happens a bout 5-6 times in the year the season does not really matter was concerned went to the doctor and  and she was not concerned, I fell like there is a small pimple or something that irritate so when I rub it  bleeds quite a bit
today however I was working when I was looking down and a yellow fluid no smell or taste just came out of my left nose, then about a couple of hours it happened again all about three times, never had this before. A few days ago I was having hayfever not too bad and did not take anything for it could it be related. In the last two or three weeks prior to this happening I noted a lymph node that hurts when I press, at the back of the year and that too is on the left side, went to the doctor for that he said t is just a lymph node nothing to worry must be fighting an infection.  the best part is I did not have a cold or cough, now this happens and I don't have a cold or cough either. My hands break into small blisters and they pop and it peels of and my skink becomes paper thin sometimes cracking this is only seasonal so could this be related.  I am worried
Thanks and God Bless  you all
hg
The same thing happened to me in the middle of the night about a week ago, I woke up thought I was having a bloody nose my pillow was soaked with a watery fluid not much color. Then last night I couldn't sleep was just sitting no bending over, and felt like a horrible nose bleed, held my hands over my nose to get tissue and there was so much it was running out of my hands. Nothing but clear fluid with just a touch of yellow. It happened 4 or 5 times throughout the night. After I got a headache and felt as if I was drowning from all the fluids. Every week for the past month I have been getting spinal injections near the tailbone for another health issue. After the last 2 injections I had my husband wake me in the middle of the night due to the bed being soaked from the area of injection same color as the nose fluid, which started a few days later.
Right nose, yellow/clear fluid like florescent tracer dye. mine came with headache, stomach ache, severe tooth pain and dizzy. Was sick two weeks. Had head injury when a kid, not related.  Had spinal tap 4 years ago for viral meningitis and hole did not heal and spinal fluid leaked in my body that caused severe headaches. had to have blood patch to repair. so if your not suffering with major issues its got to be the pure state of the infection (yellow) that's left, surrounded by (white)blood cells that are finishing off the infection. but when it has too much white cell fighting, it drains itself and the root of the infection (pure yellow) leaks with it. after that my nose cleared up and am fine.
So now we're 5+ years down the road, what have you learned about this episode of yellow nasal drainage? I've had this happen to me twice in the last week and found your post.
Hope you are well.
John
This happened to me this morning through left nostril two times and tablespoon full both times, when i bent down to tied up my shoe laces. Color was very light yellow and now after an hour my nose is very dry and red and also feeling little acidic rashes like pain in my nostril.....and I too had a severe cold and infection few weeks ago.

I am not a medical expert but after read all this post, I came to the conclusion that due to cold there is too much phlegm rest in your chest and throat and if you ate something like which is very heat to your body, this phlegm melts into watery substance and drains when you bent down... this is what I am thinking of.....
I also had similar sinus surgery 4 months ago which drastically opened my airway.  However, it did not solve an underlying problem of the frequent yellow watery discharge and sinus infection of usually just the left side.  Along with the watery discharge I get rubbery chunks of mucin that pop out when I blow my nose.  The surgery just helped to reduce the adverse impact of the sinus infections.  With family history of mold allergies, I finally found a good ENT surgeon who decided to send one of those rubbery chunks down to the lab for testing.  Come to find out, I suffer from Allergic Fungal Rhinosinusitis.  Mold is a fungus.  The doctor prescribed me 150mg Fluconozol once daily for 10 days.  Fluconozol is used to treat candida infections - candida being fungal.  I would recommend to anyone with similar symptoms and history of mold allergies to go see a good ENT surgeon (not just an ENT doctor).
So today I was at the store and suddenly felt like I was going to have a nose bleed, so i immediately put my hand in my nose and was shocked it was a yellowish clear liquid. I forgot about it and a couple hours later it happened again, so then I started to get concerned, but thank God I found this page. My story is like most of yours. I had a mild cold a couple days ago so hopefully its all tied together... What I find weird is that for what Iv'e read, most doctors are puzzled to what this could be. Shouldn't this be an easy diagnosis?...
I have had sinus problems for years! Sinus surgery 14 years ago that developed into a gram negative infection. Fast forward to 2014, I developed a sinus infection that within 5 days felt and smelled like the gram neg I had in the past. I was getting sicker by the minute. Dr. prescribed Bactrim and 2 days into the antibiotic I bent over and was amazed with the amount of liquid that streamed out of my left nostril. I too thought it was a nose bleed. What is with the left nostril? I have a follow up in 1 week -12 days into the course of antibiotics- and am definitely going to ask the dr. about what happened. I still have sinus pressure but the colored drainage has lessened significantly.  Unlike most people, I wish it would keep happening to get rid of the gunk in my sinuses.
I am 23 i had just experianced this watery yellow fluid drain from my nose while i was bent down repairing an a/c unit and thought my nose started bleeding when it dripped into my hand and i seen a yellow watery substance. if anyone has the percise cause of this would be highly appreciated to get your imput
I was sleeping in class in the classic head resting in arms on the desk position. I lift my head and there is yellow liquid flowing down my face. About a teaspoon full I'd say. I was thoroughly freaked out, nothing like this had ever happened before. I had a normal cold two weeks prior and had a bit of a cough the previous week but that morning I was completely fine.

I visited the doc and he said I had a nasal polyp likely to have been caused by overexposure to smoke and dust. I can't find anything concrete on the internet about yellow liquids coming out like nosebleeds but I think this sounds right. The doctor prescribed antihistamines and nose drops.

Thanks to everyone who posted it here. It was a really scary experience and this helped.
Last week I had route canal done on a top  left tooth... For two days I had a watery discharge which felt like a nose bleed. Since then it's changed to egg yolk colour and is happening a few times a day. Does this sound like an infection - I don't have any pain tho
I recently had this happen and I believe it was due simply to a minor sinus infection. I'd been out on a lake, jumped in and got a lot of water up my nose. Throughout the rest of the next day, my sinuses felt blocked up and, that night when I was on the airplane (I'm sure because of the pressure change), it felt like I'd gotten a bloody nose and the yellowy-clear discharge came out.

For those who have posted that they had a migraine prior to the discharge, I've also had very severe sinus headaches because of blocked up sinuses and not been able to adjust for pressure changes. I feel it right between my forehead and behind my eyes like someone's trying to push out my eyes from behind, so possibly you've felt the same thing.