drainage of watery yellow fluid from nose
Friday while I was bent over blow-drying my hair, bright yellow fluid suddenly started dripping out of my nose.  It felt like a nose bleed and that's what I thought it was until I observed the color.  I had never seen any fluid that color come out of my body before.  The drainage was unilateral--left side only.  I made an appointment with my doctor but cannot see her until Tuesday.  Investigating a bit onlne I saw something that seemed similar--CSF leakages.  But I have had no brain injuries, only a recent cold.  My question is--is this probably what I think it is?  Do I need to be very concerned?  Should I insist on seeing the doctor sooner or go to emergency?  What should I do in the meantime?  It hasn't happened again since then.  I'm really feeling a bit scared.
Thanks so much
Heidi
I had the same thing happen numerous times. The first time (about 10-12 years ago) was after a minor head injury. Although I never saw a doctor about it, I believe that may have created or cracked something. Regardless, after that event I never had any other problems. Until studying abroad. Because I believe the discharge is linked to my sinuses I think it has been happening more recently do to a combo of new pollen and pollution. Coming from an agricultural part of Oregon and currently living in Tokyo that is my assumption.

As a note. Mine also always comes from the left side when I am bending down.  
After visiting my dentist three days ago for a gum/tooth problem and after taking Amoxicillin and Metronidazole prescribed by him, i have had a show of yellow fluid from my right nostril when blowing my nose.I do have a regular blocked rh nostril especially when the surrounding temperature is quite warm,for this i use an over the counter nasal spray as little as possible.My thought in my case is the antibiotics are having a go at a recurring sinus infection.Hope this posting helps.Steve.
I've had a congested left sinus for about 10 days now. Strictly the left. Ever since I got bronchitis 3-4 years ago I started getting 2 or 3 minor sinus infections per year. Nasal spray wasn't working this time, I tried to use it sparingly. Every day I would wake up hoping it would finally be clear. It was never painful, and I was never officially sick from it. It was just annoying. The past couple days it had gotten less annoying, maybe I was getting used to it or it was getting better... but this morning I got up, it was still a little stuffy so of course I start testing it and blowing it. After I'd been up about a half hour I was blowing my nose and I got 1 chunk of phlegm and as I was finally getting some breathing out of my left nostril this yellowish clear liquid started to come out. I'd never seen it so I kept trying to blow it out. It came out sporadically for a few minutes. It doesn't seem to be coming now but I definitely thought it was weird since I've never had anything like this. When I saw people saying it's a brain thing I got a little freaked out, haha, because I've never had brain issues or ever really suffered a major physical trauma. For now, considering my 10-day sinus congestion has finally given way a little I'm going to think it's part of that infection draining. However if I'm still seeing stuff days from now or in the near future I will be consulting a doc!
Same story as many others here. When bending over to drink some water from the tap, this yellowish, fluorescent fluid leaked out one nostril (right one) yesterday. Felt like a nose bleed. Have had quite a long and bad cold (about 3 weeks now), and am just recovering. Have used nasal spray occasionally, about one week ago, total 3 or 4 times. Today, it just happened again. Interestingly, I am just feeling better again for some days now (but still a remainder of a cough).
I am so thankful to read this and I am also feeling like a complete fool!  I have been fighting a severe sinus infection for two weeks and am on Keflex.  Today I bent over and this stuff started poring out my nose but it was more a orange/yellow and it was sticky.  I really thought that I somehow had ear wax pouring out my nose.  When it dried it was even like ear wax.  Gross!  So I will go back to doc tomorrow and probably be told it is just the sinus infection.  What I find curious about this issue is the fact that a majority of the people with this occuring it just comes out the left side.   I wonder why that is or if it is anatomy related although I thought the sinus' are the same on both sides.  Hmmm Once again thank you.  Take care of yourselves.
I just noticed yellowish transperent liquid coming out from my left hand nose every night when I bend down my head,for the past 4days now.I'm worried about it!!is it normal?or what could be the cause?and what can I use to treat it?
I wish my last post was my last, but here we go:

So that 10 day sinus infection was NOTHING. My sinuses stayed perfectly clear and good for 3 days after that, but then it came back and it hasn't gone away since. I went to the doctor April 13th. They gave me azithromycin, which I took over 5 days and it didn't clear it out. I've tried sinus sprays, saline sprays, phenylephrine, sudophedrine, Mucinex DM, Mucinex SINUS-MAX-- nothing. Nothing in the way of long-term effectiveness or cure.

There's just good days and bad days now, and my asthma has come back in the past week making things a little harder, plus giving me a cough at times, too. It's super annoying and I'm super mad about it. I never want to go out and do anything because I've turned into a mouth-breather. And I sound like I permanently have a horrible cold. "I soud like dis, like I'b all stupped up all the tibe!" Every day I go into work I hear 'dude, you're STILL sick??' It's just my new voice now, always sounding like I have a cold.

I was able to sleep OK except with my mouth open, but with the asthma back I usually wake up around 4 5 or 6am out of breath and need to use my inhaler before going back to sleep. But back to the sinuses: I can hardly breathe through my nose at all now. I can breathe in usually (not very effective), but when I breathe out or try to blow my nose there's little to no airflow. I can actually feel something flapping around in there that blocks my sinus if I try to breathe too hard. I have to blow my nose several times a day, but I have to 'feel out' airpaths by constantly manipulating my nostrils to alter the air path. And I'll get a bunch of clear mucous but it never ends. My nose just says perpetually stuffy.

Including that 3-day clear up, this has been going on for 6+ weeks now. 3 or 4 times over this period I've had HUGE mucous globs come out of my left nostril, like thick gooey stuff (always white/clear maybe slightly yellow). I keep thinking, 'that's it, that's the blockage, it's out!' but it never clears. I've had no clear/yellow drippage (the thing that brought me here to begin with), no nosebleeds or anything like that.

You know how normally you can just sit there and breathe in and out of your nose, no problem? Haha, NOT FOR ME. It's awful. The worst thing is I'm kind of getting used to it. I'm afraid I'm becoming one of those people with permanent sinus issues, and the worst thing is, it just happened to me randomly! One day, I'm fine, breathing through my nose my entire life except times when I'm sick and stuffy, and all the sudden, bam everything clogs up FOR NO REASON WITHOUT WARNING turning me into a non-nose breathing person. I really got used to breathing through my nose for 31 years... I'm so frustrated. I'll be going back to the doctor, but there's no rush, since I'm used to it. I have a feeling they'll tell me the same stuff, and maybe prescribe me another antibiotic that won't work... =(
I've been recovering from a cold for a week now and after bending over to pick something up a bright yellow fluid started running from my right nostril. About 2 tablespoons of the stuff, it felt like a nose bleed. The liquid was bright yellow and watery but didn't have a noticeable odour. Same as most folks here. I'm 31 and have been taking Clarityn the last few days. Also the first time I've every experienced this. I'm inclined to think that it must be due to a nasal infection as people have suggested.
I just banged my head really hard running down the stairs and I fell to my knees cause I saw white. When I was on the ground I thought I had a nose bleed cause I could feel liquid running out of my nose. I put my hand there expecting blood and I just found snot, as if my nose was running due to cold weather. It's late May by the way. My nose just kept dripping and dripping. Never experienced anything like this before. My fiance got me some tissues and I blew my nose and that's when I saw the "yellow" tint or color that my snot was. After some research on the inter webs I found out that it wasn't snot at all, but some sort of hembreal fluids. I haven't seen the doctor cause I feel fine and I have no insurance, so I just hope that it was just a weird occurence.
It happened 3 times to me 2 months apart. My nose would feel stuffed, then I blew my nose, then a florescent yellow-orange liquid started running. I thought it was a nose bleed, It seemed to pour right out of my left nostril. After It was done, the congestion in my left nostril was gone... This started happening after I had sinus surgery where the doctor removed a cyst from my left sinus.
every time i drink a bottle of wine each day for about two weeks my sines dries up and get infected then yellow wartery disarge flows out my nose stop drinking wine for a week and it clears up
Hey it just happened to me to on left side after blowing my nose..i have had cold for last two weeks n had dentist appointment this morning on left side up..can it be related to that?
Hi everyone I just woke up this morning still in bed laying dwn my nose started to run on left side it felt like like a bloodly nose but it wasn't whn I wiped it was kinda of a orange color liquid have no clue whts going on never happen b4 to me n all day now its been running off and on just a little bit of earache nothing else no soar throat n headache no surgerys nothing but whn I do bend over it gets worse so I try not too so plz if ne one has a clue wht it cud b plz let me know n if its something I shud go to the er for ty
Does anybody have a cure for this or real cause,I feel extremely well and yesterday did have lots of vitamins but this is yellow fluid from my nose looks like highlighter yellow water.
Same yellowish watery fluid started to come out of my right nostril all of a sudden. Went to the toilet to blow my nose clear & a thicker yellow fluid came out later with a streak of blood perhaps.

Reading the comments above, now I think the tooth ache I felt two days in the morning was caused by this as well. Will see a doctor too. But this is for sure Sinus related infection.
Have any of you had blood noses that happens a few times a year for me As it happens a bout 5-6 times in the year the season does not really matter was concerned went to the doctor and  and she was not concerned, I fell like there is a small pimple or something that irritate so when I rub it  bleeds quite a bit
today however I was working when I was looking down and a yellow fluid no smell or taste just came out of my left nose, then about a couple of hours it happened again all about three times, never had this before. A few days ago I was having hayfever not too bad and did not take anything for it could it be related. In the last two or three weeks prior to this happening I noted a lymph node that hurts when I press, at the back of the year and that too is on the left side, went to the doctor for that he said t is just a lymph node nothing to worry must be fighting an infection.  the best part is I did not have a cold or cough, now this happens and I don't have a cold or cough either. My hands break into small blisters and they pop and it peels of and my skink becomes paper thin sometimes cracking this is only seasonal so could this be related.  I am worried
Thanks and God Bless  you all
hg
The same thing happened to me in the middle of the night about a week ago, I woke up thought I was having a bloody nose my pillow was soaked with a watery fluid not much color. Then last night I couldn't sleep was just sitting no bending over, and felt like a horrible nose bleed, held my hands over my nose to get tissue and there was so much it was running out of my hands. Nothing but clear fluid with just a touch of yellow. It happened 4 or 5 times throughout the night. After I got a headache and felt as if I was drowning from all the fluids. Every week for the past month I have been getting spinal injections near the tailbone for another health issue. After the last 2 injections I had my husband wake me in the middle of the night due to the bed being soaked from the area of injection same color as the nose fluid, which started a few days later.
Right nose, yellow/clear fluid like florescent tracer dye. mine came with headache, stomach ache, severe tooth pain and dizzy. Was sick two weeks. Had head injury when a kid, not related.  Had spinal tap 4 years ago for viral meningitis and hole did not heal and spinal fluid leaked in my body that caused severe headaches. had to have blood patch to repair. so if your not suffering with major issues its got to be the pure state of the infection (yellow) that's left, surrounded by (white)blood cells that are finishing off the infection. but when it has too much white cell fighting, it drains itself and the root of the infection (pure yellow) leaks with it. after that my nose cleared up and am fine.
So now we're 5+ years down the road, what have you learned about this episode of yellow nasal drainage? I've had this happen to me twice in the last week and found your post.
Hope you are well.
John
This happened to me this morning through left nostril two times and tablespoon full both times, when i bent down to tied up my shoe laces. Color was very light yellow and now after an hour my nose is very dry and red and also feeling little acidic rashes like pain in my nostril.....and I too had a severe cold and infection few weeks ago.

I am not a medical expert but after read all this post, I came to the conclusion that due to cold there is too much phlegm rest in your chest and throat and if you ate something like which is very heat to your body, this phlegm melts into watery substance and drains when you bent down... this is what I am thinking of.....
I also had similar sinus surgery 4 months ago which drastically opened my airway.  However, it did not solve an underlying problem of the frequent yellow watery discharge and sinus infection of usually just the left side.  Along with the watery discharge I get rubbery chunks of mucin that pop out when I blow my nose.  The surgery just helped to reduce the adverse impact of the sinus infections.  With family history of mold allergies, I finally found a good ENT surgeon who decided to send one of those rubbery chunks down to the lab for testing.  Come to find out, I suffer from Allergic Fungal Rhinosinusitis.  Mold is a fungus.  The doctor prescribed me 150mg Fluconozol once daily for 10 days.  Fluconozol is used to treat candida infections - candida being fungal.  I would recommend to anyone with similar symptoms and history of mold allergies to go see a good ENT surgeon (not just an ENT doctor).
So today I was at the store and suddenly felt like I was going to have a nose bleed, so i immediately put my hand in my nose and was shocked it was a yellowish clear liquid. I forgot about it and a couple hours later it happened again, so then I started to get concerned, but thank God I found this page. My story is like most of yours. I had a mild cold a couple days ago so hopefully its all tied together... What I find weird is that for what Iv'e read, most doctors are puzzled to what this could be. Shouldn't this be an easy diagnosis?...
I have had sinus problems for years! Sinus surgery 14 years ago that developed into a gram negative infection. Fast forward to 2014, I developed a sinus infection that within 5 days felt and smelled like the gram neg I had in the past. I was getting sicker by the minute. Dr. prescribed Bactrim and 2 days into the antibiotic I bent over and was amazed with the amount of liquid that streamed out of my left nostril. I too thought it was a nose bleed. What is with the left nostril? I have a follow up in 1 week -12 days into the course of antibiotics- and am definitely going to ask the dr. about what happened. I still have sinus pressure but the colored drainage has lessened significantly.  Unlike most people, I wish it would keep happening to get rid of the gunk in my sinuses.
I am 23 i had just experianced this watery yellow fluid drain from my nose while i was bent down repairing an a/c unit and thought my nose started bleeding when it dripped into my hand and i seen a yellow watery substance. if anyone has the percise cause of this would be highly appreciated to get your imput
I was sleeping in class in the classic head resting in arms on the desk position. I lift my head and there is yellow liquid flowing down my face. About a teaspoon full I'd say. I was thoroughly freaked out, nothing like this had ever happened before. I had a normal cold two weeks prior and had a bit of a cough the previous week but that morning I was completely fine.

I visited the doc and he said I had a nasal polyp likely to have been caused by overexposure to smoke and dust. I can't find anything concrete on the internet about yellow liquids coming out like nosebleeds but I think this sounds right. The doctor prescribed antihistamines and nose drops.

Thanks to everyone who posted it here. It was a really scary experience and this helped.
Last week I had route canal done on a top  left tooth... For two days I had a watery discharge which felt like a nose bleed. Since then it's changed to egg yolk colour and is happening a few times a day. Does this sound like an infection - I don't have any pain tho
I recently had this happen and I believe it was due simply to a minor sinus infection. I'd been out on a lake, jumped in and got a lot of water up my nose. Throughout the rest of the next day, my sinuses felt blocked up and, that night when I was on the airplane (I'm sure because of the pressure change), it felt like I'd gotten a bloody nose and the yellowy-clear discharge came out.

For those who have posted that they had a migraine prior to the discharge, I've also had very severe sinus headaches because of blocked up sinuses and not been able to adjust for pressure changes. I feel it right between my forehead and behind my eyes like someone's trying to push out my eyes from behind, so possibly you've felt the same thing.
I've had this for about 6 years. I get it on plane journeys (the pressure) and sometimes when turning around suddenly or bending down then standing up suddenly. It's quite rare that it happens but recently it's been a few times a week.

I rarely have the cold and I have zero problems with sinuses.

I'm an occasional smoker and have cut down dramatically recently. The day after I have a couple of cigarettes, I'll get the discharge for sure.

I would love to know if anyone else here smokes? I'm pretty sure that's a factor for me, as well as cabin pressure and sudden/random movement.  
I have a 4 year old boy. He's been having light yellow (odourless)(sometimes thick, sometimes thin) mucous coming out from his nose everyday. It has been a year. He seems well, does not have fever or pain. Took him to the ENT. And the doctor advice is to have my son's tonsil remove. I hope to get some help in stopping this yellow mucous for my son. Because he has seen the GP where antibiotics are prescribed (didn't work), had multi vitamins (didn't stop the mucous), had fruits and vege (didn't work), stopped his milk intake for 1 month (didn't work). Hope to get some advice.
I had this happen to me this afternoon. I freaked out and called my mom and sister and doctor. I just had an ear infection, sinus infection, and pink eye in both eyes - i look and sound awful! - and I'm still taking amoxycilin. I also just stopped taking cold medicine because I could finally beath again.I had lots of gatorade colored fluid out of only my RIGHT nostril it was mucousy but not boogers. I wonder if the infection collects on the side of your head you sleep on? I like to sleep on my right side? After panicking and thinking my brain was leaking out and talking to my mom - nurse for 30 years - she told me not to worry. Brain matter is grey and brain fluid is clear. It's NOT your brain leaking out. It is an infection draining out of you sinuses.

After this happened I notice that my right side of my head hurts - kind of feels dry in my sinuses and nostril. Not extremely painful more just a dry sensation. Like breathing in freezing cold air.

My mom suggested I continue taking the antibiotics and use nasal irrigation to flush out the infection. If it gets worse or doesn't go away she said I should go back to the doctor - infection isn't gone.

FYI I'm a non-smoker and I don't drink alcohol.
I'm also in. Having this for a couple of days. I am taking my second round of Antibiotics for a painful sinus infection and my Right sinus seems to be getting better. But today as I was washing my face, this bright yellow liquid came out of my Right nostril. Probably around a teaspoon full. I am still having a popped Left Ear which seems to be due to the fluid buildup.
From what I understand from the above posts, it seems that the blocked sinuses is draining out and opening up which I think is a good sign.
I just had a similar experience.  I took herbal supplements this morning to fend off a cold.  I wonder if anyone in this long thread of occurrences was also taking herbal supplements.
Bahahahaha yeah I just smoked some herbal supplements and had what I'm now believing to just be weirdly thick mucous draining. Thanks Grey's Anatomy for scaring me everytime I blow my nose and it';s not normal snot
hello, did you ever find the answer for this? I hope you're better now
This happens to me as well.  Frankly I'm worried.  And the reason I'm even seeing your post is cause its happening again as i write this! So I'm online as well looking for What the Heck it is!  I also saw the info about it coming from the brain or whatever. I'm sorry i wish i had answers for you and me. However i guess we will not know for sure untill we see a doctor.  :( it's so weird and embarrassing!  It comes out like blood no warning at all!!!  Yellow in color but i have had no cold or anything. Well i wish you a Get Well Soon friend :) and i hope we both find some answers quickly!
Did you find anything?
Also happening to me for a few days now. I've also had a number of procedures done on my sinus since 2009, which has me worried about the CSF possibility.
Hi everyone... My name is Kenneth Lowen on FB.  What everyone is going through is called Post Nasal Drip.  The thing is tho, you guys have all seem to be leaning your heads forward.  Its just dripping forward insted of down your throats.  Which also causes this random coughing action if you have Severe Post Nasal Drip.
Blocked sinus draining serum is the correct answer.  Serum is normal part of your bloodstream;hence the reason it "feels like a nosebleed." In one sense, it is.  You body's bloodstream is >60% water which is the major component of this straw-coloured stuff called "serum." The other ``elements of your bloodstream are red blood cells (RBCs;hence the colour of oxygenated haemoglobin bound to the RBC), white blood cells (WBCs;mostly fight infection and turn to thick opaque pus seen in abscesses, etc) and platelets (plts; clump together to help your blood clot when you get a laceration, etc). A prior infection could have introduced elements of the blood stream into the sinuses that were trapped there from the edema (swelling of tissues lining): once the edema reduced the sinus ostia (holes) open up enough to allow any fluid "leftovers" so to speak, to drain out.  These leftovers can be the serum fluid (which can be an orange/yellowy clear "straw coloured" fluid).  You can also have drainage come out related to changes in sinus pressure which could occur with blowing the nose, posture changes, altitude changes, etc.  The sinuses are quite easy to block and hopefully this gush of fluid is a sign of their unblocking/clearing up.  

As mentioned, this is unlikely to be CSF; CSF is clear unless there is an infection in the CSF (e.g. meningitis) or bleeding inside the CSF(e.g. ruptured aneurysm).

Should you have any other associated symptom, head to the nearest university hospital emergency department as they never turn you away and never require an appointment to see you.
I had the same thing but also have had an intense headache for 3 days.  Abnormal for me.  Is this reason to worry?
Thank you.
I've had this to me this morning.
my right side of my nose is stuffed for about 3 week. I am breathing with my left nostril and my mouth. I have been trying spray my nose regularly and take some medicines. but this, before i went to work, I sprayed my nose and try to blow. And all on the sudden I heard a little pop in my nose and my nose started leaking with the yellow, liquid stuff.
what should I do?
I also just started experiencing this phenomenon.  It began yesterday about 3 hours after having a tooth root canal procedure (with Novocaine) followed by insertion of a new crown.  It continued this morning.  My guess is that my experience is related to that.
i had a crazy bad toothache on the top right of my teeth and it was so bad i couldnt sleep at night, went to a trip to the dentist and they did some xrays and couldnt find any problems or whatnot and i asked them to dig my old fillings out and replace with new ones and it still hurts like crazy after, and one day after that i start having yellow watery liquid just dripping out of my right nostril without warning whenever i look up to my right. what is happening??
Oh my God same exact thing is happening to me today i was just having my head down and yellow fluid started leaking from my left side of the nose but i dont have any pain i hope to God it will stop by it self please any of you advise me if this is serious thanks God Bless
Hey there, I've had similar problems to u. Overall this has been about 3 years and 2 weeks ago I it happened while I was flying (on plane). I kind of noticed that it happened when I am sometimes a little unwell. Dr referred me to ENT. had CT scan. They found a mucus retention cyst BUT, Dr said it was only a coincidental finding. The yellow fluid incidents should not have been caused by that.  Looking at my CT, he reckons it might be that my cyst blocks part of the pathway of the mucus,and so the fluid only leaks out when there is an accumulation and when my head is at a certain position that the fluid can flow pass the cyst and out the nostril. P.s. mine is on my right nose.
I just got the same. I have been experiencing it for past 3 days, and I had also serious tooth pain,  I will be seeing doctor tomorrow for my teeth. anybody with clue why the yellow water leak out of the nose?  
I have the same thing right now. Leaky nose and i have tooth pain. Can u tell me what your doctor said?
Hi.. same here.. I’ve just recovered from tooth ache n this thing happened.. could this water leaked related to this tooth ache that we had... Can u please share what your doc said? Thanks..
Anyone been treated for Fungal Sinusitis rather than bacterial ??

My bet is that fungal is more likely and often wont go away on its own, and certainly wont go away with Antibiotics
Yes I have been treated for Fungal Sinusitis both sides of the nose in June 2013. As you rightly said, the problem did not go away completely and permanently but gave almost 100% relief after operation. But since then the doctor advised me take Rinergil/Montec LC 1 tablet a day forever. If I stop it for any reason, the problem (pain in the operated area in the nose, pain from operations ated area in the nose to brain via eye temples) begin. Even yellow color liquid gel forms in the nose. Partial blockage of the nose on any one side happens too. So, is it common in people undergone surgery for fungal sinusitis?? Any comments please??
Let me join the club as well. Same yellow fluid but this time on my right nostril. I had to fix our bluray player so i bent also and this happend. I just came from more than a week long cold. Fluid rushed down my nose like crazzzy.  I was freaking out until i read your experiences. Thanks so much for sharing cause it helped me calm down. Advanced Merry Christmas Guys! We should form a facebook group! =)
I can relieve a lot of tension here. I have had this problem for about 10 years now. I get it during or after colds. I had sinus surgery 10 years ago, have had catscans, mri's and CSF fluid tests done. I saw two neurologists as well who specialize in this problem. Turns out it is Rhinitis or infectious rhinitus. May go away on its own or you may need to treat with antibiotics. Be calm, don't overwork or bend to much. It should go away in 4-5 days.
Do you also get lightheaded, dizzy and the chills when this happens?
I am a international student at university of Cincinnati and am not habituated to the cold weather. At night, in 3 degrees celsius (36 deg F) I went out wearing only my shorts and t shirt. After some time, I went into a store (suddenly warm) and came out (cold again) and after a minute, a light yellow/orange clear fluid started pouring out of my nose. It was slightly salty/tasteless and sticky. This continued for about 5 minutes and I leaked around 10-20 ML. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me and am really scared. I have memory problems and some attention related problems. I have university insurance, so probably I will go visit the health center tomorrow. Hope it is nothing serious.
-M
I just recently had the same thing but it was after I had 6 teeth pulled my Dentist told me it was all the bacteria built up behind the infection in my teeth and now its draining and it is sinus infection that is being released.  It's yellow runny and has a rotten smell. It was actually a good thing because it was stuck in there until I had the dental surgery and it had much infection so I'm glad it's draining out just hope it hurries up and be over.  This was my first and hopefully last problem like this.
sinus leakage had that and cleared up with medication
Well it looks like I can join this club. I also had the very first bout of yellow fluid out of my left nostril this morning. Same story as everybody else. Bent forward and out it came. Was shocked. Immediately thought of cerebral fluid, but have no history of head trauma, but have had sinus infections fairly often.
Then I remembered back to nursing school. Cerebral fluid feeds and protects the brain. That is why it contains sugar. One of the things we used to do in head trauma cases was to use a diabetic blood sugar tester to test the clear fluid of the nose to see if it contained sugar. So I think that I will visit a diabetic friend today and test that yellow fluid from my nose to see if it contains any sugar.

However, just seeing the number of people that are all telling similar stories, I highly doubt that it is anything serious.
the sugar idea will of course only work if you have absolutely NO blood in the fluid leaving the nose, because blood also has sugar in it.