Neurology Expert Forum
hippocampus

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hippocampus

What is the function of the hippocampus?  Would removal of the right hippocampus in a right handed person cause any disability?  THank you.
Dear BZ:

The hippocampus is involved in imprinting memory.  In a right handed person, the right hippocampi is involved in visual memory (the left side is involved in verbal memory).  Usually, the hippocampus is taken out because is has sclerosed and is involved in seizure generation.  In that case, the hippocampus is moderately dysfunctional anyway and removal does not cause much further damage.  

I hope I answered your question.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD

What sort of partial seizures do you have that you make you want to go the surgical route? I have rencently discovered that I have temporal lobe seizures that I initially thought were caused by alcohol withdrawal. I have off the booze for over three months now and do not even crave it anymore. I used to use it to stop the seizures, but found out later I was only aggravating them.

My seizures go in series of twos and threes and last anywhere from 8-12 minutes each. They are often tonic-clonic in nature although I remember the entire event, although I am in La-La land for minutes to hours afterwards. I almost always know when a seizure is about to hit I call it the "ten minute warning to shakedown"!

Have the meds not helped you stop your seizures? Neurontin and Klonopin seem to be very effective on mine so far. If you want to talk about your problem you can get hold of me at ***@****
Barbara-these seizures concern my little girl.  It is known that she has hippocampal sclerosis and is on 2 meds with little success. At this point surgery is in the distance, she has not even been evaluated, but was curious if the sclerosis is contributing to her sudden problems with school work.

Thank you for your comment.
BZ. I had also had hippocampal Sclerosis, in my Left front temprol lobe and no help from meds jsut some immune damage from them.. And about her troubles with schoolwork It's from the lousy meds. I also had troubles in school yet came from a very high intellectual family. Once I got off my meds of 27 yrs.. I had alot of testing done in the hospital to find that my intellect is now well above average .. so I think its the meds causing your daughters school troubles, Not her Epilepsy itself.  
BTW I did have surgery for mine in 93 it didnt help me either.. My diet and environmental changes is what now controls mine..If you want to talk more feel free to email me at
***@****

Sincerely
Kathy