Neurology Expert Forum
infection in brain?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

infection in brain?

i have been having very bad headaches for 8 months,also strokelike attacks for 9 years , i had a mri which showed i have a compressed pituitary which is pushed out of the turshica and some other spots in my brain. i have cyst and tumors in many of my endocrine glands a large cyst in my nose and one on my back along my spine. i also have hypoglycemia type symptoms. so far i am undiaginosed for anything an very frustrated.  i recently saw a eye dr. who ask me if i had a head injury because i had scare tissue on my optic nerve and some visual loss in one eye. i told him about the headaches and he said it could be sinus because i have pressure behind my eye and pain but  i had a sinus ct which was neg. for that. i also have muscle weakness and i have to pull my self up stairs.  Is it possible to have recurring infections in my brain? is there a test for it ? i did have a spinal tap which was given to me to rule  out ms. after the spinal i was sick for 3 weeks with such severe headaches i had to be given morphine. what doctor do i go to from here? thanks for listening.
Dear Maria:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.  I would suggest that you see a neurologist and get a good neurological exam and some basic lab tests done on your blood.  It is difficult to tell you what you might have as your symptoms are broad spectrum and generalized.  Some things come to mind such as a mitochondrial disorder, peripheral neuropathy, organic acid disorder, amino acidopathy, etc.  However, a good neurological exam and some testing is necessary to help the physician begin to have a plan of attack.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
thank you for your reply.  i will look into your suggestions.
Maria,
I would also pursue the pituitary problem. Something is compressing the gland, and it is most likely a adenoma.   A pituitary tumor alone can cause serious problems. They can cause headaches, visual disturbances, menstrual problems, infertility, fatigue, joint pain, growth of hands and feet,skin changes,dry or oily, dark stretch marks, wt. gain or loss,etc.  They can effect every system in your body.   Numerous endocrine tumors may suggest MEN 1. Mulitple endocrine neoplasia. Have you had a MRI with and without contast focusing in on the sella turcica?
The mitochondrial disorders effect many patients too but harder to diagnosis unless you are seen by the proper dr. Dr. Cohen at Cleve Clinic is very educated in this disorder.
Other pituitary sites to check out.  
A great endo for pituitary disorders is Dr. Arafah at Univ Hosp of Cleveland.
Hang in there and don't give up!

http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/guest/pit/guest.htm
http://www.pituitary.com/
thanks for the reply.  I was told that i have empty cellar.  I have had a mri many times  with dye. each time i had one i got a different interpatation. one radioligist said empty cellar, one said large cyst, one said micro adenoma, but i do know that it is compressed and not in its right place. i,ve pituitary function test which were normal so no doctor ever goes any further. with all the other cyst and tumors in my endo glands the test are mostly neg. i don,t think its normal to have this because every year i get an new cyst in another gland. on top of all this i have crazy symptoms and it fills as if every function in my body is going haywire and i,m left to it,s mercy. I have no life and every day i just try to survive this torcher.  i need help and i,ve seen so many doctors at this point there no place else to go.
what exact pit function test have they run?  You should know the exact hormones they have checked for.  
TSH<FSH<LH<GH<IGF-1<ACTH<cortisol<PRL  etc
i don,t know, they just said pituitary function test.  they injected me with something waited took blood. are there different types? i have been to 2 neurosu. and at least 8 endos and when they see that i have a normal pituitary func. test they say oh well and they say to do nothing unless i start to have vision problems.
maria, if you post your e-mail address I will gladly write you privately.
my e-mail is ***@****     thanks alot for caring.