Neurology Expert Forum
itch on arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

itch on arms

I have been diagnosed

After seven years of seeing doctors for a chronic itch on my arms, I have been diagnosed with brachial radial sysdrom.
What will help this awful itch?

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is nor can I recommend a specific treatment. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Itching obviously has several causes. Neuropathic itching, or itching resulting from a problem with nerves, is not common but does occur in some cases as a symptom of neuropathy. It is thought that neuropathic itching results from dysfunction of specific small nerve fibers, and treatment of the itch should be aimed at targeting this dysfunction. Treatment should be similar to that used for other types of neuropathic symptoms. In the treatment of neuropathic symptoms includingn itching, medications originally intended for other medical problems such as seizures, depression, or hypertension have been found to be useful.  Certain antidepressants have been shown to be very effective in neuropathic pain independent of their antidepressant effects (meaning the chemicals affected by these medications help treat the neuropathic pain). These include elavil, doxepin, and others. Topical doxepin and caspasin cream are also helpful for neuropathic itching. Anti-seizure medications found to be useful for neuropathic itching include neurontin and lyrica. It is very important that in neuropathic itching narcotics such as dilaudid, vicodin, percocet etc be avoided as these are well known to cause itching as a side effect and to worsen neuropathic itching.

I recommend you continue to follow-up with your neurologist regarding the optimal treatment of your symptoms. Sometimes, one medication is effective whereas in other cases, a combination of medications, both oral (pills) and topical (creams) help.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.
Find more results for 'why is my balance off i have fibromyalgia and started new meds valum 10 mg and percocet 10/650 neurontinin 600mg iron pill lamitctal 25mg just had a very bad sinusninfectio 2 wks ago augmentin 875 mg prilosec caltrate for ulcer surgery adderall (adderrall) xr2x a day 30 mg ea what is wrong with me i am all of a sudden miserable  Lisa fort bragg nc help