Neurology Community
nerve pain with blood draw

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nerve pain with blood draw

This is in repsonse to another person with this issue. I sort of figured out that the burning pain i was experiencing was due to my carpal tunnel and a pinched nerve in my elbow. My other wrist (right) is fine for blood draws but the left one burns from wrist to elbow, and lasts about 5 minutes after the needle is removed. The person who did the draw used a plastic/catheter due to rolling, shallow veins. So i thought maybe it was the catheter but my left side elbow and wrist is worse with carpel tunnel syndrome and pinched nerves....than my right.
Just a suggestion....get a nerve study done by a neurologist to see if you do have some sort of nerve damage. Then make sure the phlebologist uses another area.

This discussion is related to Burning Pain in Different Area While Blood is Being Drawn.
The wrist is normally used for so called "ABG's" or arterial blood gas tests. Other venous blood draws should have no residual pain. The problem is often due to the patient  used for a novice nurse or physician to get three required certification" ABG's. A properly performed ABG should leave no residual discomfort. Therein lies the rub. The procedure is difficult to perform. Bear in mind that ABG's are often unnecessary, and part of the hospital procedure for" covering the legal behind". Don't be afraid to ague with them and refuse the procedure "unless the doctor thinks it is absolutely necessary". Nine times out of ten they will defer the procedure.
I have trouble with Vertigo. I went to the ER Monday night. I had to have an ABG done, the first nurse tried in my right wrist and no blood so then she tried in the area where normal blood test are drawn, then another nurse came in and tries back in my wrist ands done in my right arm. I was painful which the nurses explained but the one in my arm was like I had grab ahold of an electric fence and not able to let go. This is Thursday night and the pain in my arm and hand has gotten so bad I can't extend my arm, pick up a glass or push myself up from sitting. I am right handed.
How long until I can expect the pain to subside?