Neurology Expert Forum
neurological problems from mycoplasma pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had been sick for about two months with no diagnosis until recently.  I had joint pains, numbness, tingling, pain, in all my limbs with severe fatique.  After numerous blood tests which were all normal, I had a chest x-ray which revealed mycoplasma.  My question is can this infection cause nerve pain and twitching from head to toe which I am presently having.  I had an emg with a neurologist and it was normal except for carpal tunnel in both hands.  Lastly our water at home was tested for arsenic and came back four time higher than it should be.  I am currently being tested for arsenic levels in my body.  Can that also cause nerve pain and twithcing?  Any help would be aprreciated.
MYcoplasma is not diagnosed by chest xray, although it commonly does cause pneumonia - there are other causes also for the xray appearance. It is diagnosed by blood tests - measuring an increase in the amount of mycoplasma antobodies in the blood over 2 weeks is diagnostic.

It can commonly cause a range of neurological symptoms which are usually self limiting once the infection is treated and include aseptic meningitis, and peripheral neuropathy. An EMG would be expected to be fairly normal, the symptoms should resolve given time. Arsenic is an uncommon cause of neuropathy, and accumulation needs to take place over a long time, unless large amount are ingested acutely. There can be brown pigmentation of the palms and soles, and a peripheral sensory neuropathy - it would be worth checking your arsenic levels in your blood and hair, but if you truly had mycoplasma this is a much more common cause.

Good luck
Thank you for the response.  The chest x-ray showed some scarring and fluid in my lower right lobe, therefore my doctor treated me for walking pneumonia or (mycoplasma) as he told me.  I started a treatment of doxcycline for ten days.  Since then my lung has cleared, however, I have residual headaches, pain in my feet, legs, and hands.  The twithcing began after the pneumonia was cleared.  I guess I am wondering if my symptoms could be a post-infection condition?  Of course I am still quited fatiqued and feel weak.

Any response would be appreciated.
My daughter was diagnosed with a mycoplasma infection. It took almost four weeks to get the results back.  Our neurologist stated the normal range is 0-70.  My daughters level was 2700.  She has been taking antibiotics for several weeks and will continue for several more.   She has chronic fatigue, headache, dizziness, joint pain, has not gone to school for three months.  Brain lesions have also been found on her MRI.  The doctors believe she will improve slowly.  Good luck to you!
Janna