Neurology Expert Forum
pituitary tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pituitary tumor
About 3 weeks ago I had my blood drawn and was told that my prolactin level is 46.  Since we ruled out pregnancy and medications being the cause, the conclusion drawn was that of a possible tumor.  My breasts have been producing milk, which leads me to believe the tumor, if present, is affecting prolactin production.  I recently have been having headaches, due to the tumor or stress from worrying about the possibility of a tumor I don't know.  I will have my blood drawn again next week to check the statis of the hormone.  I was wondering what the prolactin level, in general, is when a tumor is involved. What other possible causes this could be? And if the hormone levels have increased, what types of interventions or treatments are common for this situation.
Dear Jenny:

Sorry to hear about your prolactin problem.  Prolactin is under negative control meaning that it is turned off unless your pregnant or inducing it by medications.  Prolactin secreting tumors usually arise from the pituitary but in some rare cases can be due to hypothalamic problems.  Usually the blood test and MRI are pretty definitive.  The MRI will indicate if it is a micro or macro adenoma.  There are some very rare prolactin secreting tumors due to other causes but these are very uncommon.  Treatment will depend on what type of adenoma or other etiology.  There are some medical treatments such as bromocriptine.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
A week ago i ate a banana and within five minutes the room started to spin and i was having trouble walking. It was as though i had been drugged. After two days of no improvement
i was taken to the emergency room where i was diagnosed with
an inner ear infection. It is now 1 week later and the medcine is gone, i had been feeling much better intil i ate another banana.
the dizzyness came back and i am totaally out of balance and disoriented. Why is this happening and do you think there could be more of a problem then just an inner ear infection?

Dear Renee:

I would have your ears checked again.  I wouldn't think it was the banana.

CCF Neuro MD