Neurology Expert Forum
posterior end plate osteophytic ridging

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

posterior end plate osteophytic ridging

I don't understand the results of my MRI-

At the C5-6 level, there is posterior protrusion of disk probably associated with posterior end-plate osteophytic ridging.  As a result, there is spinal stenosis as manifested by effacement of the surrounding subarachnoid space and some cord flattening.  There is also posterior end-plate osteophytic ridging and posterior protrusion of dis at C6-7 also resulting in stenosis, but not quite as tight as at the level above.

Multi-level degenerative facet changes are present.  There is at least degenerative encroachment upon the right nerve root canal at C5-6 with milder encroachment upon the left nerve root canal as well as both nerve root canals at C6-7.

A definite soft disk protrusion is not seen.  The spinal cord has a normal appearance.  Pathologic marrow signal is not seen within the vertebral bodiews.  There is a small erosion or cyst formation involving the right side of the den.

I have had a lot of pain for the last few years.  Had a lot of test but have not been able to relieve the pain.  I have a difficult time walking and have to use a wheelchair most of the time.

Pain in neck and head have become almost to much to stand lately.  Have tried many pain relievers-prescription as well as over the counter.

Please explain the results of the MRI and also any suggestions for relief of pain.
Without looking at the films, I cannot accurately state what they show. The description is consistent with degenerative changes. When a broad disc protrustion occurs the edges of the vertbral bodies can react by generating more "bone" (end plate osteophytic ridging). This enlargement of the bone narrows the opening of the spinal canal, and areas where the nerves exit (encroachment). Without examining you I cannot determine if this is the cause of your symptoms. I would recommend a consultation at a large academic spine center. They will be able to review your case and make both medical, and if needed surgical recommendations. Good luck.
Dear StLouis.
I had Anterior Disectomy with fusion at C5-6 level. MRI showed complete rupture with no fluid remaining and 50% compression of spinal cord. The pain was very intense. I struggled with this for three years until I could not raise my head and was having pain/numbness in arm. The surgery did relieve most of my pain but not all of it. I do not wish to alarm you but my experience with this surgery was very bad. The pain comming out of surgery was unbearable to say the least. They gave me as much morphine as possible with out killing me and it did not control the pain. I was in so much pain I woke up in the OR asking them to please knock me out. Please remember my experience was not the norm but it can happen. It has been one year since my surgery and I am just now begining to feel better, fusion has still not completly fused. I am not on painkillers thank god but do take neurotin which does help. They told me one reason I am having so much trouble is because I waited so long to have the surgery. Apparently the longer you wait the more nerve damage is possible. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to e-mail me if I can be of any help.
A related discussion, Results was started.