Neurology Expert Forum
results of MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

results of MRI

I am a  woman and 53.  i recently posted about having a homocysteine level of 45.9, high cholesterol, and high LDL.  Also diagnosed with B12 deficiency which this VA is no longer treating; nor would they treat the homocysteine so had to go to outside source for that, etc;

Several things brought me to getting an MRI of the brain (had contrast MRI in 2000 to rule out MS and nothing showed up on that one):

1) have been having problems with thinking, cognitive things, remembering, forgetting, etc.

2) had an episode on February 12th that involved the entire left side of my body from scalp to bottom of foot.  I had an intense burning, pins and needle sensation, and some numbness, and got so tired I went to bed.  The next week or so, I had residue from that with burning in face, neck, rib cage, arm, hip, and leg...all on left side.  That has finally gone away but have weakness (shown on two exams) in left arm and leg. This MRI was done two weeks after the episode.

MRI results are: "Foci of altered signal in left periventicular deep in white matter and a punctate focus in left paramedian regon of the mid-pons.  Nonspecific in appearance but most likely are of chronic ischemic orgin."

I asked my doctor at the VA what she thought and she told me it was nothing and no treatment was necessary. The problem with her is that she feels that nothing is wrong and we are back to mental case again.  I am quite concerned.

What does this MRI mean? Could this be the reason I have trouble thinking?  Could a stroke have happened and not show or resolved by the time MRI was done?
It would be important to compare the old MRI with the new one to see if those lesions are really new. If they are, it could represent a stroke. However, the location of the brain lesions doesn't exactly explain your symptoms. Depending on exactly where the pons lesions is (I would have to personally review the films and examine you to make an accurate diagnosis) it's a possibility that the left sided weakness could be due to that, but it would be more typical for the symptoms to be on the right side of the body due to crossing fibers. The neurologist should have been able to pick up objective signs of weakness or stroke on her examination. If not, then it's also possible that the lesions are incidental findings representing old silent ministrokes or just small vessel disease that is not clinically apparent.Finally, as you know,the B12 deficiency can cause problems with thinking as well as psychiatric issues. The locations of the lesions are not consistent with your cognitive problems. You need to talk to the neurologist who saw you and tell them your concerns as they had the opportunity to examine you and review your films. GOod luck
not sure it makes a difference but I am equally left and right handed.
I am having another episode today involving same kind of burning sensation on left side with several patches on right side in arm and leg.  Having trouble putting words togetehr and thinking.  What could cause nerves to 'flare' up like this.  I am unable to go to VA for help because so far they have not given me any.
HELLO MY NAME IS MARCEL I BEEN OFF WORK FOR 1 YEAR I HAD THREE MINI STROKES IN THE PAST YEAR DEC. 8 2000 JULY 20 2001 AND FEB 9 EACH TIME GETTING WORSE NEUROLOGIST TOLD ME IT DID A LOT OF DAMAGE TO MY CEREBELLUM THE LAST STROKE SEEMS TO HAVE IT MY BONES AND MUSCLES AND FEELING VERY WEAK AND TIRED FOR A WEEK IS IT POSSIBLE EVERYBODY SEEMS TO THINK I SHOULD RETIRED FROM WORK DON1T KNOW WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAD SUCH CASE WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM 55 YEARS OLD
48 yrs old post-breast cancer patient: DX Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma: Tx bilat MRM w/tram flap reconstruction: 6 months CMF chemotherapy 1997.

Most recent symptoms: onset of consistent migraines. MRI of Bran with & without contrast. Findings: Mild high signal noted with the left-greather-than-right pons on T2 weighted imaging.  No evidence of abnormal enhancement noted after admin. of intravenous contrast. No other areas of abnormal signal noted within brain parenchyma. Normal signal void within the major intracranial vessels.  All other areas noted as normal given patient's age.

IMPRESSION: Mild Left-greather-than-Right increased T2 weighted signal within the pons.

Neurologist told me yesterday I have a lesion in the brain. Will continue to watch with repeat Brain MRI in 3 months.  

Doctor gave no explanation of what this means. Understandably, it's something that must be looked at again in the future, and report any additional symptomotology; however, I am frightened.  Doc doesn't handle frightened patients.

I realize it does NOT mean necessarily that I have any metastatic breast cancer, but could it possibly mean so?  Don't want to conjur up symptoms in my own head, but rather, want to go to work (which I love) with the least amount of worry on my head (literally). :-)  No time to be sick.  Know what it is like after cancer treatment 96-97.  What are all the possibilities: realize this is gray matter with a wide range of possibilities both serious and/or inconsequential.  (Layman terms please.) Work for dentists not doctors.