Neurology Expert Forum
transmitting ALS through intimacy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

transmitting ALS through intimacy

My finance was diagnosed with ALS about 10 years ago. He passed away 5 years ago. We were sexually intimate before and during his illness. Recently, I have noticed a lot twiching in my feet a little twiching in my legs, but primarily in my feet along with tingling.

I recntly read that ALS may be caused by a retrovirus and that approx 20% of ALS patient partners have tested positive for the virus. On the other hand, I have been told that one can't catch ALS, that it is not a disease that can be transmitted through contact.

Can ALS be transmitted through sexual activity? Should I be concerned about the possibly of having contracted ALS from my finance?

Thnka you in advance for responding
ALS cannot be transmitted through sexual intimacy or blood tranfusion

I'm not sure where you read that information, but unless you read in a reputable medical publication, then it may be suspect

Some other anterior horn cell disease other than ALS (affeting some of the same cells) could conceivably be spread that way (like west nile virus)

Hi I read your message and I have the same thing. I have spasms all over my body...so annoying. May I ask you some questions about your partner who had als. What was his first diagnosis? Like symptoms. I have tried to post a question on here but never can get through. I have been having some weird symptoms and being feared of als. I am a 32yr female. I wanted to talk with someone who new someone or had it themselves could you please get back with me. My messenger at yahoo is professionalfem11. I would love to speak with you.
thank you,
steph
I've never heard of ALS being passed on to someone else. It is still a relatively remote possibility for you - in the sense that only 1/1000 tend to get it. I too had a twitching phenomenon for several months and my partner did too, although neither of us has a sexually transmitted disease, or ALS. Years have passed since those concerns and complications. Have you any weakness? If you have concerns, you should ask your doctor to refer you to a neurologist for nerve conduction studies. Good luck!
I also lost a loved one to ALS.  I had dated him for 3 1/2 years.  Had stopped seeing him for about 1 1/2 when I learned he was sick.  I chose to go back into his life through the course of his illness, as difficult as it was for me. Made it a bit easier for him which was the most important-

I have never heard of catching ALS - I have other physical ailments but NOT ALS!
thank you for your comments. The article discussing the possibility of a retrovirus being a cause of ALS was in the Feb 8 issue of Neurology.
This will probably be controversial, but maybe it can help some of you ladies.

There are quite a few cases of ALS which have been misdiagnosed when in fact the patient had Lyme disease in their central nervous system (neuroborreliosis). Lyme disease can be transmitted through sex and through the placenta to unborn babies. Some Doctors do not believe in this scenario as everything about Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses is controversial.

Go to http://www.Lymenet.org and Click on Flash Discussion and then Medical. There are several real patients on this forum who were misdiagnosed with ALS.

Also see http://waisbrenclinic.com

Tremors are a common Lyme symptom. Hubby was originally told for first 1 1/2 years he did not have Parkinson's but only anxiety/depression. Correct diagnosis is Lyme, babesia and bartonella.

Best Wishes