Neurology Expert Forum
unknown cause of symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

unknown cause of symptoms

I have been told that I have got Cerebellar syndrome. This is the second time it has started. The first time was last Sept when I started to lose my balance,co-ordination, and my speech became slurred and at first I felt dizzy and nauseus though that stopped after 2 weeks. It eventually started to get better in Feb and I was able to start driving again.I had an MRI, LP,blood tests but they couldn`t find any cause.  Any way it started again in May though my co-ordination isnt as bad as last time but my balance is worse and I have been having tremors in my hands. I have had all the tests repeated and more all over my body, but still nothing has show up!                                  
I was hoping you could advise me of where to go from here? The hospital don`t seem to bothered their only response was "well at least youve not got a tumour"
Please help
Dear Karen:

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.  I am not sure what to tell you from what you describe.  What did your neurologist tell you?  The best news is that your testing has been negative thus far.  Strict cerebellar dysfunction is not common.  Usually we think of stroke or tumor (the MRI would have shown something), viral infection (the CSF analysis would have been abnormal as well as the MRI), vestibular or inner ear problem (the neurological testing would have been abnormal), a seizure event can also cause symptoms as you describe as well as reaction to medications.  We have also seen patients with conversion disorders that can have these symptoms.  There is the occasional patient who has an acute cerebellar ataxia (the symptoms you describe) that we never find the etiology, however in most cases the events or symptoms do not reoccur.  There have been patients who also have a paraneoplastic syndrome where antibodies are made against a tumor in another part of the body and attack the cerebellum.  The initial event or symptoms of the tumor is a cerebellar disease.  This can be tested for by looking for particular antibodies in the serum.  I assume that your physician has already looked to these.

I am sorry that I am not much help.  I hope that you find the reason for the symptoms.  Keep bugging your neurologist, if the above has not been thought about.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
what about encephalitis?
Many of the symptoms you describe are that of this virus.

Thank you for your reply, maybe I am destined never to find out what is wrong with me. if it goes away this time and doesn`t come back I don`t think I`ll ever moan again!
     I think something would have shown on the MRI if I had got Encphalitis but thanks for your suggestion.
Karen, I can describe my symptoms in a simular way to you except mine happen in episodes about every 3 weeks that last about 10-20 mins followed by a dire need of sleep for about 1 hour. Likewise all my tests (EEG, CT, MR I) have returned negative and my doctor can
Q: What is the test needed for paraneoplastic disease. I have had dizziness for 12 years, with a history of metastatic cancer, now in supposed remission. No one has ever checked for this as far as I know, and the term "cerebellar dysfunction" has been thrown around quite a bit with me. Perhaps I could ask my doc(s) about it if I knew the test to ask for? Thank you!

MaxP I am sorry that your symptoms are happening so often. I must admit that I had thought of stress as a possible cause, because every time I was due to go away I would start with feeling a bit dizzy that gradually got worse. I know it sounds silly and some people may take the mickey but I am even considering going to see a healer to see if they can do anything.  I have got a letter from the hospital to go next week and have some fasting bloods taken so lets hope that shows something, at least they have`t forgot about me.

The comment about paraneoplastic disease the doc on the forum suggested getting the serum tested for particular antibodies. I had scans all over my body to see if it was a tumour that was the cause but thankfully it wasn`t. If I was you I would go back and ask to be checked for your own peace of mind.