Neurology Expert Forum
upper back pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

upper back pain

Three weeks ago my upper right back started hurting and kind of a burning sensation.  It's to the right of my spine.  I have no knowledge of injurying myself.  I went to doc after two weeks of pain and he said it was muscle related...although I was totally convinced it was a tumor of some sort.  The pain is mainly in one spot but sometimes will effect other areas as well.  The last few days my neck on the same side has been hurting also.  This is not a constant pain it comes and goes...worse in the evenings.  Then I begin having panic attacks thinking that I have a tumor.  My doctor did a chest x-ray and didn't see anything....would a chest x-ray show if anything was in your back or spine?
A chest X-ray would not exclude a tumor in the spine. A MRI of the spine would be a better study to exclude a tumor or structural problem. It is possible that the symptoms are musculoskeletal in nature. You should discuss your concerns about a tumor with your doctor. Good luck.
Yes, a chest x-ray will show if you have a tumor in your back or spine.  They found a tumor on my spine by accident after a chest x-ray three years ago.  The only symptom I had was shortness of breath because it was growing into my upper lung.  Get a second opinion if you're worried, with a neurologist this time.
Thanks for your comment.  That makes me feel a little better.  I can't help but ask...how are you?  did you have surgery and doing fine?
Yes, I had surgery.  The tumor was a benign schwannoma that was the size of a lemon.  It left me with a lot of nerve pain, but otherwise I'm fine.  Thanks for asking, now don't worry so much!  Make an appt with a neurologist and hopefully he or she will take care of your concerns.  God bless.
I have a similar upper back/neck pain(between shoulder blades-closer to one side than the other) I was told by my orthopedic surgeon that this is being caused by problems I have in my cervical spine. I would ask for an MRI of your neck, and consult with a neurologist. Hope this helps. ***@****
Yes I am writting about my back,and neck injury I have been seeing my regular M.D about the pain I live with every day.
My neurologist has ststed my condiction as such.1.Neck Pain-bulging C3-4;small herniated nucleus pulposusC5-6straightening of the normal curvature.
2.Thoracicpain-bulgingT4-5.
3.Low back pain-herniated nucleus pulposusL5-S1 with left L5 radicular symptoms.
4.Panic Attacks.
5.Deppressiondue to the above.5.Bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome.
7.Left ankle pain with give way at times.

My doctor at this time is treating my pain with percocet 10/650 which has not helped my pain in my neck,and middle back plus my smytoms seem to be getting worse far as my pain,but my neurologist hasn't seen me in over 7 months,and the last time I talked to him he said,he did not think it was time for any surgery.
  The problem I am having is with my doctor he will not talk to me about my pain or how I am getting along or how the med is doing me.
   I have a fiend that has about the same problems I do,but he was in the army,and he recieves morphine sulfate,and he swears that it really helps him,but I can not see his doctor because I was not in the service.
   All I want is to be out of all this pain I am in without surgery because I have to take care of my mother,and I can't afford to be layed up by back surgery at this time.Please write me,and let me know about this morphine sulfate,and see if it would be right for my condiction.