Neurology Expert Forum
viral rash

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

viral rash

Drs.
I have been diagnosed w/post viral syndrome afer a June bout of larynthitis followed by meningitis.  I have had a variety of neurological effects for the past six minths that wax and wane and some go, new symptoms come.  The latest  thing I have is a wierd skin problem that is on my temples, forehead, across te bridge of my nose and on my throat and upper chest.  Not red (although in the beginning on my chest it was) but more like raised bumpy, almost scaly or dry skin but you can't really see any flaking or dryness.  It's not associated with any cosmetics or new products that I have been able to identify since it started five weeks ago.  WhennI had been acutely ill, I did have a red rash on upper chest and legs but this is not the same.

Is it possible ths could be just another mainifestation of the post viral cycle?  

Does post viral syndrome ever turn into anything else that is known?
Thank you for insight and youer time.
Lori
Dear Lori:

Sorry to hear about your problems.  What was the virus causing the meningitis?  It is difficult to tell you what the rash is from, this is especially true since most rashes really need to be seen to diagnose them.  It almost sounds like it is on the sun exposed areas of your body.  If you are taking medications, your skin might to more sun sensitive and this may be the reason for the rash.  But, I can't say for sure.  I would see your physician and see what he/she says.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Doctor,
Thank you for reply.  They never identified the virus.  I thought about the sun idea but my hair is styled in such a way that my temples and forehead are covered.  Also, my upper chest has no wxposure to sun or wind.  I had been tested for autoimmune diseases but was a little concerned that maybe the "post viral syndeome" is turning into something like Lupus.  I had been on Clonazepem but off for 3 weeks.  Doctor has me on Zoloft to "settle" the nervous system . Does this ever happen?  I am scheduled to see a movement disorders specialist in 2 weeks because of the contiinuing ataxia.. I just feel so puzzled.
Thanks for any other insight.
Lori
Lori: even though your illness was viral, did they by any chance treat you for the laryngitis with a fluoroquinolone antibiotic: Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, or Tequin?
Linda

Linda,
Thanks for writing.  I had labrynthitis - an infection of the inner ear.  I was on a few meds - for that and a urinary tract infection - not sure if one was Cipro, I'm going to look back i my records.  What do you know of a connection?
Lori
Lori:
you are describing a classic drug reaction --rash etc. and with the neurological effects I would suspect a fluoroquinolone: look to see if they put you on Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox or Tequin. And if you had a UTI they probably did.
let me know what you find out and if so I have a suggested web page for you to visit. (I had a Levaquin reaction that had a host of neuro side effects: for awhile I was convinced I had MS.)

Linda