Neurology Expert Forum
wHAT IS AN MRI FOR THE L7 REGION OF THE SPINE?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I KNOW WHAT AN MRI IS--I JUST HAD ONE. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE L7 REGION OF THE SPINE IS?? I HAVE TERRIBLE PAIN AND BURNING AND NUMBNESS DOWN THE BACK OF MY LEG FROM THE HIP DOWN TO THE TOES -THIS HAPPENS ANYTIME IM ON MY FEET OR WALKING MORE THAN 15 MINUTES. I HAVE HAD ALL KINDS OF MEDICINE-NOW THE NEUROLOGIST HAS ME ON NEUROTON,AND THERAPY 3 TIMES A WEEK,PLUS I GET THE SHOTS TO MY HIP ONE A MONTH. TODAY I HAD THE MRI-SO IM WONDERING WHAT IT WILL DETERMINE?? AND IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ON WHAT THE PROBLEM CAN BE? THANK YOU-AMY  -----------P.S.--AS OF   RECENTLY I KEEP GETTING TERRIBLE SPASAMS ON THE BACK OF MY CALF,ON THE SAME LEG THATS BOTHERING ME,AND THE MUSCLE GETS SO TIGHT I THINK ITS GOING TO BURST.
Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about your problems. The MRI is a fairly sensitive test for nerve compression but remember that no test is 100% complete. Most patients have 5 lumbar vertebrae so I'm not sure what L7 is? You can see an extra vertebrae at times but I'm not sure I have ever heard of an L7. Sounds like, however, that they are looking at a problem in your low back area. Sometimes hip pain can look like nerve irritation pain. Sounds like the therapy and neurontin are a good choice The other test that can be done is an EMG (electromyogram). This tes looks at the nerves in the leg and can be very helpful in these types of cases but if you have one make sure it is by a very seperienced person. Sometimes lumbar canal stenosis (spine area is too tight) can also cause some similar symptoms I hope the MRI is helpful and wish you the best gs
AmyLLB: I had the same symtoms (symptoms) as you have with your leg.I had 2 injections in my lower or lumbar area of my back. The pain would go away for about six weeks and come back. I had SPINAL STENOSIS.If you get relief when you sit or laydown but you get the pain when you stand, then when you have your MRI and the report doesn't mention Spinal Stenosis.You go to the Radiologist who read it and tell him or her to show you on the film why you DO NOT have spinal stenosis. I myself will only go to a board certified SPINAL surgeon. One who only does Spinal surgery! Good Luck--tedily
I cant post a question as I haven't a diagnose, but after searching the form for months, at last there is someone with a similar problem to mine.
I am in awful pain when sitting or lying on my back,
I am only pain free when walking or lying on my stomach.
Has anyone out there had a simular problem?and if so could they point me in the right direction as to further tests and treatment?