U.N. Human Rights Council Elects Country Where Slavery Exists to Leadership Post
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/democracies-silent-un-human-rights-council-elects-country-where-slavery-exists

"(CNSNews.com) – The U.N.’s top human rights body marked Human Rights Day on Monday by electing three countries with poor human rights records as vice presidents for the coming year – including one of the last remaining countries where slavery exists.

At a meeting in Geneva, members of the U.N. Human Rights Council elected Mauritania, the Maldives and Ecuador as three of its four vice presidents for 2013. Switzerland got the fourth vice-presidential slot, while Poland was elected president.

According to U.N. Watch, a non-governmental organization that monitors the HRC, none of the democracies on the HRC had “said a word about the election of Mauritania or Ecuador.”

...................................

Ruled by a former military coup leader, Mauritania is a North African Islamic state where conversion to another faith is punishable by death. The country’s criminal code provides for a three-day period of reflection and repentance for any Muslim found guilty of apostasy. “If he does not repent within this time limit,” it states, “he is to be condemned to death as an apostate and his property will be confiscated by the Treasury.”

Homosexual acts also carry the death penalty in Mauritania.

Slavery of black Africans has been rooted in Mauritanian society for centuries According to activists, up to 18 percent of the population may still be in slavery today.........."
"Mauritania is a North African Islamic state where conversion to another faith is punishable by death"

"The country’s criminal code provides for a three-day period of reflection and repentance for any Muslim found guilty of apostasy. “If he does not repent within this time limit,” it states, “he is to be condemned to death as an apostate and his property will be confiscated by the Treasury.”

"Homosexual acts also carry the death penalty in Mauritania. "

"Slavery of black Africans has been rooted in Mauritanian society for centuries According to activists, up to 18 percent of the population may still be in slavery today.........." .

Really??  THEY are given a leadership role within a HUMAN rights  council??

This is some kind of joke, right?  Holy sh*t...that's unbelievable!!
Oh hell, why not?  Humanitarian-schmumantarian.....  This is a wacky world in which we live.
I've come to the conclusion that logic is dead and chaos rules.
"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

W.B. Yeats  1920

For the last forty years I've tried to give the UN the benefit of the doubt. It's not like there's a lot of others lined up trying to promote world peace. But I just don't know anymore.
OH...Amen.  That's just pure craziness.

Desrt...I agree.  I think the UN is just not what it should be...the idea of it is awesome...but I just don't know anymore either.  Perfect sentiment.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Barb135 commented on dominosarah's status
melimeli, and specialmom commented on KeeLolo's status
Aug 21
Barb135 commented on Latest plea to have o...
Aug 21