Nutrition Expert Forum
Low Vitamin A?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low Vitamin A?

HI, I have some bumps on my chest all the time. They're not very noticable to other people, but that's not why I'm concerned. I'm wondering if they could be caused by low vitamin A? This wouldn't surprise me as I have gone through a period where I had little appetite due to glandular fever.

I also have got spots on my face in the past 6 months and Iv never really had spots before. And also have little sense of smell (which i think is also a symptoms of low vitamin A)

Here is a picture of what my chest looks like to give a better idea:

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0853dj6.jpg

If they are due to low vitamin A, could this be why I still seem to suffer with the glandular fever even tho it was almost a year ago I got it?

What dose of vitamin A could I take to resolve this?

Thanks
Jonny
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
6 foot 3.5
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
155 lbs (70kg)
Related Discussions
267079_tn?1195146570
Glandular Fever is caused from Epstein Bar viral infection and not from low vitamin A. The problems in our bodies that occur with deficiency of Vitamin A are night blindness, Bitot’s spots (blindness) and decreased immune function. Suggest you go to your MD and get blood work done to see your body’s status. If there are issues, as you stated, you can be treated.
4 Comments
Blank
I live in the UK, and unfortunately my GP said there is no blood test he can do.  So I don't know what to do.

I know Glandular fever is caused by that, but Im thinking if low vitamin A reduces immune function then perhaps that is why I couldnt fight it off.

My other symptoms are very little sense of smell, night blindness, dry eyes, and i seem to have a bit of candida too, which Im thinking could be due to low immune function. I think these are all symptoms of having low vitamin A.

What can I do about it if I can't get a blood tests done?

Thanks
Jonny
Blank
Sorry just remembered something else.

I havehad a blood test for zinc which showedI was slightly low. Does low zinc in any way affect vitamin A?

What dose of zinc should I take to correct the low zinc?

Thanks
Jonny
Blank
267079_tn?1195146570
Low Vitamin A does not affect the immune system unless you have Bitot's spots which it seems like you do not have as you stated. If you are concerned, suggest you take a regular multivitamin and eat balanced healthy meals daily to get the needed nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank