Nutrition Expert Forum
What type of potassium supplement?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

What type of potassium supplement?

My wife and I have a low potassium diet and need to supplement with 1.5g  to 2.5g per day
depending on how active we are and how much milk we drink for added protein.

We are getting a lot of contradictory info about potassium supplementation products.
We have been told by a PA and MD that that we are wasting our time taking OTC potassium gluconate because it is not being absorbed.  Online comments often repeat the same message.  

However the technical med literature I read says that 90% of both dietary and supplemental forms of potassium are absorbed by the intestines.

It also seems to make clear that the type of potassium salt you are taking (chloride, citrate, gluconate, acetate, bicarbonate, etc) does not matter.  The only thing that counts is the amount of actual (elemental) potassium you are ingesting.  For instance we take 595mg tablets of potassium gluconate containing 99mg of elemental potassium.

This means that if I am willing to take 20 of these cheap little pills a day to get my 2000mg (2g) of potassium that is just fine.  I don’t need to buy relatively expensive potassium chloride.

Is this true?
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Male
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
69"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
140
It is mandated by the FDA to that each supplementation potassium dose is only 99mg per serving due to potential medical dangers of over dosing. Potassium does come in forms as potassium gluconate, aspartate, citrate, hydrochloride, or chloride. Important you do not go over 1500mg daily with potassium supplementation. Potassium should come from your diet and almost all foods have it. Fruits, vegetable, certain meats, and grains have the most amounts. The following foods have higher levels of potassium: figs, beans (kidney)-1 cup, avocado- ½ medium, molasses- 1Tbsp, orange juice-1 cup, banana-1 medium, milk (nonfat)-1 cup, salmon-3oz, sweet potato/potato- ½ cup, mushrooms- ½ , chicken breast- ½ , sunflower seeds- 1oz,  and whole wheat bread- 1 slice.

Thanks for replying. We consider ourselves well informed but what we need is an answer to the main question...

"It also seems to make clear that the type of potassium salt you are taking (chloride, citrate, gluconate, acetate, bicarbonate, etc) does not matter.  The only thing that counts is the amount of actual (elemental) potassium you are ingesting.  For instance we take 595mg tablets of potassium gluconate containing 99mg of elemental potassium.

This means that if I am willing to take 20 of these cheap little pills a day to get my 2000mg (2g) of potassium that is just fine.  I don’t need to buy relatively expensive potassium chloride."

In other words the amount of elemental potassium, that could POSSIBLY be absorbed, from 1ea potassium chloride tablet which is about 52% potassium is equal 3ea potassium gluconate which are about 17% potassium each.
As I stated before you should not go over 1500mg of potassium supplement daily, regardless what form it is in (expensive or cheap), due to potassium being in almost all our food sources. You will have the 2000mg a day from supplement + food combined.