Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Could you help by looking at my jaw xray?

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Three years ago during a bottem left horizontal tooth extraction I felt my jaw give way and have been feeling ill and burning pain since.  Last March I had the bottom right vertical wisdom tooth removed. Piece of bone was left in.
I've been waiting for help for over a year NHs to help remove this piece.  A couple of months ago I had a really bad flu virus and felt so weak I thought I was going to die. When I picked up a little had an xray done and it shows. Where I've had pain for three year on left side, a white patch then cotton wooling type effect just above it. Where lthe piece of bone was left in on the right side also cotton wooling effect(little) My parotid gland regions are slightly
swollen. I think during the virus my bvody fighting back as then seen these two area's in my jaw and eaten the piece of bone. The left side as this also, which as got me thinking that I may have had a piece of bone here although it hasn't shown up on previous xrays.
I was wondering if it is pagets decease as my uncle had it in his legs.  
If not could you give me advice as the nhs have kept me ill and in pain for these three years and I need some closure. Do want the honest truth, Be so grateful!
My xray and photos are on; http://www.flickr.com/photos/heavenleighart/
I wish I could provide a definitively diagnosis but that is not possible in this forum.  Based on your symptoms it appears that you may have an long standing infection in the jaw area.  This would account for both the pain and the swelling.  Paget's isolated to the jaws is rare (possible but rare).

This may have resulted from the extractions or may have been present even before the teeth were removed.  In any case, you should promptly see an Oral and Maxillofacial Facial Surgeon who may order additional imaging such as a CT scan.  I would not be surprised if the surgeon wanted to biopsy the jaw to see what was occurring on a cellular level.  

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Photos of my parotid glands swollen on http://www.flickr.com/photos/heavenleighart/
Please scroll down the page a little and you'll see them.
Thank you.
Julie
Thank you so much for your advice on my xray.  I think you are right about the jaw infection.  I went to see a specialist on 27th may and the white patch area is thought to be a piece of tooth root left in. Which would of been in my jaw for just over three years now. I am having it removed on the 11th June.  Going in the right direction and keeping my fingers crossed.

All the best!
Julie