Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
eminectomy

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

eminectomy

I have to go see a surgeon about having a posible eminectomy. I feel really uneasy about the whole thing. I went to a specialist and i have the x rays showing that my jaw dislocates when i barely open my mouth . the specialist i sending me to go see a surgeaon about a possible eminectomy.
What are the side effects from having such a surgery?
The risks and potential benefits are quite complex and it is not appropriate to list every single one in this forum.  Each case is unique to the individual.  

You should inquire about alternative conservative therapies such as oral appliances, physical therapy, jaw manipulation, joint injections, and medications just to name a few.

Surgery is the alternative of last resort if all other treatments have failed.  Having said all this, it can be successful.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
thank you for the information that you were able to give me. I will be seeing the surgeon today, and will talk to him about any alternatives before going through with the surgery. I just hope that there is an alternative my situation might be too advanced. " Never had surgery so i am a little nervous
A related discussion, manipulation for trismus of the jaw was started.