Orthopedics Community
Daughters bone structure in her face looks like it shifted????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am putting this here because I don't know where else to put it. Yesterday my daughter was rubbing her face and said it felt different on one side than the other. I said come here and let me see. She's 14. And looking straight on at her, it is obvious her face bone or the structure of her face bones looks like it has shifted. Her Right side is protruding out and  left side of face looks normal but her chin looks lopsided.  I had her raise her head up to look at the ceiling and my other daughter and I could not believe what we are seeing. There is a obvious bone issue or something going on.  Dad came home and is also in shock at this change. It's like something has pushed her jaw out of place and it's turned or something and her whole face looks different.
She had an evaluation for braces a few weeks ago and the orthodontist did not mention anything structurally wrong and we have never noticed this. My daughter just noticed it herself yesterday, as with the rest of the family.
Over a 6 month period mandy has at one time or another said that when she wakes up her face hurts but it's always been fine and something that even she didn't make an issue of it but has said that when she yawned it popped. When I took her for her braces evaluation last week, even the orthodontist didn't make much of the fact that we put down on the paper that her jaw pops every now and then (it was a question on the papers we were filling out). and As I said he certainly didn't say he saw anything structurally wrong. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening. We are extremely worried that this was happening slowly and that we didn't notice. But it could have been something that just happened as my daughter is a teenager and just recognized something was amiss herself . We all are so worried, you just wouldn't believe and don't know what doctor to begin with first! I've made a call to the ortho to get his thoughts and if this is something he saw in those xrays they do. My daughter is a beautiful girl and no matter what is going on, that won't change, but where do we start???? What could be going on?
Hello leesalow

It seems like thee is some kind of the laxity of the muscles in and around the jaw. Therefore, these is some kind of popping. What have been the reports of the Xray? This would further help.

Best
Orthodontist has us going to see a Maxilofacial (sp?)/oral surgeon who will do the proper xrays or guide us in the right direction. We have to wait until the 26th for appointment. I felt the jaw bones on both sides and the side that is protruding away from the neck line has a round hard spot right at her ear opening, actually in front of it within the face (cheek). When she opens and closes her mouth or shifts her jaws it stands out and there is not one on the other side. Could be bone? I don't know. Waiting patiently for appointment. . Jaw bones are definitely offset and out of line. One is lower than the other and the other is protruding outward away from neck. Thank you for responding.

I am 57 years old and am experiencing the same symptoms as your daughter. I have gone to see a jaw doctor who took x-rays of my whole face and was unable to explain what was happening to me. I'm at a loss and want to know what steps are you taking for your daughter at this time.