Orthopedics Community
Lower back pain while standing for a long time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My back is perfectly fine in all other circumstances except when I stand still for a very long time (up to four hours straight) I start getting really bad pain in my lower back. I am required to stand for long periods of time for my job, so obviously this is a problem, not to mention the fact that I am only, 21 and shouldn't be experiencing these types of problems. Again it ONLY happens when standing still for long periods of time. All other times it's fine.

I notice when this problem happens,it is virtually impossible to bend over, without horrible pain.
Hello Dear,
You should do back extension exercises and yoga which might help you.You should take calcium and vitamin D3 supplements which might help reducing the pain.Also consult an orthopedic physician and go in for  a xray to rule out any pathology.You can also try alternative therapies like homoeopathy.
Best
haha, same happens to me.  Are you overweight or obese.  I am obese and my BMI is reaching to 35.  I am really trying to reduce weight.   Whats your BMI? If it's more than 30, then you need to reduce weight and no need to take any medicine.  Take Cerebrex off and on.
I'm the opposite by back is fine when I stand, walk, stretch, etc but when I sit I get the worst pain in my lower back.  I've been to the chiropractor for adjustments, decompression and electrical stim and just recently had an epidural steroid injection (ESI) which gave little to no relief.  I've had X-Rays and according to the Chiropractor my lower nerves are just extremely compressed.  Now call me crazy but after 10 treatments and an ESI I would like to think some improvement would be seen.  If anybody can assist I would greatly appreciate your time and effort.  Thanks in advance.