Lumbar MRI interpretation for low right back pain
Can you decipher my MRI findings in layman's terms?  Findings include "1.  No evidence of extruded disc herniation.  2.  Disc degenerative changes L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels with L4-L5 right central focal protrusion with high intensity zone and right subarticular recess narrowing and effacement of the anterior thecal sacs suggesting annular tear in the right L4-L5 level without neural foraminal narrowing or spinal canal stenosis.  3.  Broad based disc protrusion L5-S1 level with high intensity zone suggesting annular tear in the right central foraminal region with mild bilateral facet degenerative change.  No canal stenosis at L5-S1 and mild right sided neural foraminal narrowing at this level. Correlate clinically.  4. No disc extrusion at this time. No fracture."
I was rear-ended in an auto accident a month ago, and since then have had stabbing/burning pain in my right low back, with pain and aching down into the backside of my right thigh and calf. Can't sit for too long, car rides really bother me.   I'm not sure if the MRI findings indicate injury related issues, or just degenerative issues. Help!
Thank  you for any assistance you can provide.
Hello Dear,

How old are you?
It seems there is degeneration changes in the vertebre which has been made evident and might me more symptomatic after episode of trauma.
Have you ever had similar kind of backache before? Any history of low backache?
If actual symptomatic nerve root impingement occurs, two days of absolute bed rest is indicated. If that does not solve the problem, then surgical excision is indicated.
Surgical excision is performed for impingement-documented sciatica that is unresponsive to 2 days of absolute bed rest.

You can refer: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2901.htm#section~Treatment

Take care
Best

I am 34 years old. Have had a very few bouts (lasting no more than a day) of sciatic pain prior to the accident, which started when I was pregnant with my daughter 13 years ago. I see the chiropractor, and it goes away. I've NEVER had pain like this before.  Burning, stabbing pain in my right low back, that sends stabbing, aching pain into my posterior thigh, and aching down into my calf. Also, my right anterior hip bone aches horribly. I've been doing chiropractic care since the accident twice a week, therapy, Vicodin and Flexeril for pain, and a burst of Prednisone that didn't help much.
Hello Dear,
It seems analyzing the risk benefit ratio, you should gain from the surgical intervention.
Kindly consider and discuss for the extent of benefit you might have with surgery with your surgeon.
In the meanwhile continue taking the medications as it would delay the progress of inflammatory changes and would help manage your pain better.
Take care.
Best