Orthopedics Community
What is this? Groin Problem? Hernia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

What is this? Groin Problem? Hernia?

I first came about this injury playing softball in the middle of september 2007.  I was batting weak handed (coed league) and I went to hit the ball and felt something.  I continued to leg out a double, but then felt a pop in the groin area.  I didn't think anything of it, and continued o try playing.  The pain was unbearable and had to remove myself from the game.  The next day I could not bend over, hurt to cough, sneeze, and laugh and in certain movements my groin would pop and hurt.  This continued for the next several months until I decided to go see my doc in February.  I thought it would heal itself.  I was wrong.  He ruled out the hernia possbility, and took an x-ray.  Everything seemed fine and looked good.  He prescribed physical therapy for what he called a groin strain.  I knew it was more than that.  I could run a 9-10 minute mile pace and nothing would happen.  Speed myself up and it would pop or pull.  Would also feel it sliping on the ice in the winter.  Started playing softball again after feeling good, but then got the same thing again as in september.  Horrible pain, cough hurts up to abdomen area again.  Went to see the doc again today and prescribed an anti-inflammoratory and to see orthopedic doctor.  He ruled out hernia again... Anyone out there know what this could be?  Sucks to walk limping or bending forward or back and not being able to sprint or run fast at 100%
Hello Dear,

You might be having some pathology in the spinal or the hip area, provided hernia due to sports injury is ruled out.
Spinal problems near the back area can pinch the nerves and cause groin pain.
This may include the herniated disc (although a remote possibility in your case)
adductor strain or adductor tendinitis (groin pull) most common in sprinters. The adductors are the muscles that bring the leg toward the midline.
Iliopsoas strain / iliopsoas bursitis could also be the cause ad typically the pain is felt in the front of the hip and groin and is aggravated by flexion of the hip.
Kindly get the X-ray and scan for better evaluation.

Regards

hi matt, this is unreal i have exactly the same problem and hernia was ruled out last week, i just wanted to know how you are feeling and have you found a cure that might be helpful for me
I have the same problem, I've had a pain in my groin area and lower abdomen through playing football, I took painkillers before the game to help but 1 day I stretched out a leg and felt this pop in my groin then have to come off straight away there was a very dull but pAinfull feeling in my lower abdomen again! the worst it's ever been. Altogether I've had this annoying pain for several years and hernia has been ruled out, I've had a scan in this time and the outcome was inflammation in the affected groin area (strain) it has never seemed to have gone away, if anything it's getting worse, this pop happened yesterday, I couldn't sleep with pain and to cough it really hurts.