Orthopedics Community
compound fracture Radius/Ulna

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

compound fracture Radius/Ulna

5433111?1267642758
I am 18 years old and weigh 140lbs so I have a thin build. 2 years ago  I had a compound Fracture on my right arm. After being in a cast I had a session of physical therapy where I had to squeeze a device to test how much pressure I could exert with my arm.  Being young and not wanting to have to come back to PT I squeezed the device way past my comfort zone and the doctors told me I was good to go. I recently started Lifting dumbells and things in an attempt to gain mass but any downward pressure over 20 pounds on my right arm puts me in pain so It is hard to work my arms evenly. I have 2 plates and some screws in my arm. Is there any way to strengthen my arm to where it was before the break or am I going to have to live with this forever?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

With the hardware you will have some amount of pain and discomfort. I would suggest you not to exert yourself completely.

Get latest scans done and you can consider removal of the screws in the near future.

Continue physical exercise and weights but do not do heavy lifting and exercises which give you discomfort.

Discuss with your orthopedician the range of movements and exertion you are allowed to put.

Take care!
I am a 50 year old woman who 5 weeks ago sustained a compound fracture in my lower left arm.  I now have 2 plates and 10 screws and am STILL experiencing tremendous pain.  Not only in the arm .... but also my elbow, wrist, and top of my hand.  I'm taking oxycotton several times a day .......... is this much pain normal after 5 weeks??  It's really wearing on me .......... depression wise.  Should I be worried that something else is wrong?