difficulty getting up and walking after sitting
Otherwise perfectly healthy, 49 year old - 116 pounds. Upper legs (perhaps hips?) extremely sore and almost go out from under me when I try to stand up and walk after sitting in a chair/sofa/bed etc. Seems to be getting worse. Not tied to injury that I can think of or exercise although I've tried to increase walking to see if it improves the condition. It hasn't. Pain still hurts when walking but not as severe as when I first get up.  What is this? Used to run marathons, ski, cycle - its been a life changing problem and I'd like to find a cure. Thanks for your input.
Perhaps your bones need strengthening. Try taking calcium supplements, and get checked by your doc for osteoperosis.

I have the same problem.  I have a herniated L4-L5 disc.  The orthopedist believes that the herniation is pressing on nerves that affect my hips and legs.  He doesn't have a clue as to what to do about treatment.   He had me tested for tthe possibility of a blood clot in my legs which was negative.   I am trying to figure it out on my own and to find another doctor who may be more helpful.  Same thing for me--exercise doesn't really help.  The pain improves with walking, but does not completely go away.  I am starting to have extreme difficulty getting up from a sitting position.  It is almost impossible to get up if I sit on the floor.  Also, a friend of mine just got test results back.  She had similar symptoms, but she also had dizziness and was falling.  Turns out she has multiple sclerosis.  
The same thing is happening to me! I'm 21 and healthy as a horse. I can't remember any significant injury. Early in January my hips just started hurting alot after I sat down for extended periods of time. Sleeping is also difficult because laying on either hip makes them both extremely sore and uncomfortable! I have no idea what this is. Going to see the doctor in a couple of days.
Please let me know what either of you have found out.
I am 57 and have the same thing. I thought it was from having shingles in April along my hip. My provider sent me to Physical Therapy but I  still cannot easily get up from sitting in a chair let alone get up from the floor. I was beginning to wonder about MS. Now I'm scared. I am going to try water massage and accupuncture and ask for a x-ray of my hip. Maybe it is my back instead.
I have the same problem, 48, was in great shape, runner, cycler, pain gradually increased until I felt like I was sitting on rocks.  Went to an Orthopedic surgeon, bones fine, but no answer, sent me to PT.  Did 12 weeks of PT, better, but still can't run at all and getting in and out of car is extremely painfull, and can't sit for long periods of time.  Went back or Orthopedic, talked to me about PRP, Platelet-Rich Plasma injections.  Trying them this week.  Fairly new treatment, Professional athletes have used with much success.
just recovering from nasty cold. few days ago, went to get up from settee. couldn't do it. got really scared. took me 10 minutes. happened again next day. then crouching down by washing basket and had to pull myself up by radiator. am going to make appt with gp as getting really worried now. i am 52. work full time in an office and help out with grandchildren at weekends. thought maybe been doing too much and was exhausted so immune system low but not so sure now.
I'm having the same problem starting to worry me have to have help standing and hurts to sit have osteopeana and have spinal stnoiusious had a x stop put in last year, laying down our walking help temp
Can't get up from a sitting position unless I get help or recline on the arm of the chair. Getting up from the floor is nearly impossible. Once up, I can play tennis but am afraid to run in case my knees give out and cause a fall.

I have read this same complaint above several times but I see no solution or diagnosis of what the problem is. I need someone who can tell me what to do or if someone found a solution.  
Lower abdomene pain while standing from the seated position or lying position. i'm 37 yrs old.Can anybody tell me what is it.
Have the same: pain in hips and low back when standing, sitting, and lying down.  difficulty standing, walking, and turning over in bed.  can't bend at the waist.  It's only getting worse.  I've had it before, though not this bad.  Last time I went to the Chiropractor (intensively for a couple of weeks and then monthly after that).  It's been a good 8 years since the last time I've had this and I think it is because I haven't been to the chiro in 9 months (moved to France, didn't know of one who spoke English).  Highly suggest  Chiropractors!  I have gone regularly for the past 11 years (except in France) and it has made a HUGE difference!  I trust Chiros more than regular doctors for back and hip things, because they treat the cause, not just the symptoms.  Have a chiro appointment this afternoon (found one that speaks English and trained in the US).
I am suffering from the exact same symptoms I am reading about in this blog.  I know I need a hip replacement, but from what I can tell (lots of research) it is not going to solve my muscle seizing problem.  I would appreciate any info you can give me.  I am seeing a chiropractor as a last ditch effort to avoid surgery, but the relief he gives me tends to be very short lived.  I am also getting therapeutic massages, but again, feels good for a few hours then back again.  I am nervous about taking pain relievers as they don't get good press these days.  I need a next step.

BTW, I am also very active--tennis, golf, walking, biking.  This is getting in the way BIG TIME.
I have been researching this online to see if I might find a suggestion or hope, but so far nothing.  I am 50 and very overweight, having problems standing from sitting and recently a bout of hip pain that seems to have faded.  The obesity is a problem, but it appears to happen to menopausal women of all sizes and physical condition so it may not be the primary factor.  I've seen suggestions for fish oil, daily exercise, chiropractic adjustment, hip replacement, blood diseases, fibromyalgia, and more.  It doesn't appear that the condition is understood by the medical profession yet.  Anyone come up with a reliable course of action?
You all may want to give massage therapy a shot. If your problem is muscular THEY ARE THE ONES WHO CAN HELP YOU. At the very least if your problem is not muscular they will be able to rule that out and give you some good information on self-care techniques as well as possible referrals to other health care professionals. Do not go out and get a hip replacement or any other surgery without first trying body work!
I Have The Same Problem, Only Im 14.
i suffer from all that each of you have described.

Just got back from a week of travel and it was full
of pain. Sit in airplane seat or at dinner, home or restaurant,
can't get up without leaning on back of chair and other hand on table.
Must stand wait for legs before attempting to walk.

Could it be circulation cut when sitting.

Now i also find it hard to climb steps or to go down stairs on the ball
of my foot.

i am now 74 and active but all the systems are getting worse.

Please input from any one.
Help. I have the same problem. when I first stand up I have to stand for a while then hold onto to try and walk. I just had a hip replacement thought that would help, but so I still have th same pain. Sure do wish someone could do something for this.
i was doing some ceu study for my license and one of the courses was on vitamin d. it said that people with 2 specific problems can be deficient in vitamin d. the 2 problems are: can't get up from a seated position and difficulty climbing stairs. the only way to find out is to have a blood test for your level of vitamin d. these are the exact problems i have been having for the last 5-10 years and it  is getting progressively worse. i am having my vitamin d tested and i hope this is the problem. the doctors have no clue.
I had all of these issues when I turned 50.  I had several doctors pat me on the back and tell me that I 'was just getting old' and would need to learn to live with it.  FINALLY I found a doctor well versed in natural supplements!! (which most doctors, apparently, are not)  Had all the blood work done, was placed on calcium, fish oil, osteo bi-flex......and 5000 IU of vitamin D.  It has changed my life!!!!  I am now 63.
I have had this condition for 12 years.  Stretching and this is always with great pain, but makes it almost pain free later.  I have stretched the leg muscles upon awakening for the last 11 1/2 years. I discovered that stretching helps when I fell and did a split while in a severe attack of this pain..  I almost passed out and then crawled into the house thinking I would have to call an ambulance the next morning. To my surprise I woke up with at least 50% less pain the next morning.  I am fixing to try a chiropractor, and acupuncture, but not both at once.  I always like to know which one makes the most difference.  I does not seem to go away for long but I work to keep it
constantly on making the pain less.
To MsColorado

I live in the Caribbean and for the last two weeks i have been having this pain. Part of it is definitely how i sleep because i sleep in a dead man's prone position. Y'know either both hands out but my right leg is bent almost paralleled to my waist and my left leg straight. I found out only 24hrs prior to writing this that when i sleep like this it presses my hips into like a hyper extended stretch and i know it can't be good for the hip. All i know is that when i get out of bed it isn't so bad as when i go to work and have to get up and down all the time. It feels like the hip locks at and certain angle and i have to come off the weight and let it do it's own thing then gradually put the weight and then move. But once i move all is well. What i normally do is grasp the hip joint by the muscle when i am getting up and funny enough it helps me to up and move.
But your answer made me go in my fridge and i do believe in your answer 100%. Simply because i went to Cali in 2010 i think it was and i bought a supplement called Irwin Naturals 3-in-1 joint formula which Rebuilds Lubricates and soothes and its only now i realized the bottle is empty and i never did replenish it.

The two things i never really swallowed in yrs Cold Liver  oil (omega) and Calcium sorry to say and i do believe exercise on my part is lacking. But now i think about it i fell out my office chair on my right side 2 days prior  to this post so i def feel that is adding  to the aggravation of my hip.  I will try your regimen but still take a peek at my sports doc see what he says.  But i do believe you are onto something.
To MsColorado

I am a 59 year old female and I have had trouble getting in or out of a chair or the car for almost a year now.  I was living in a three story house last year and I was pulling myself up the stairs by the handrail. It's embarrassing at restaurants when I have to stand and can't move until my legs and hips can move.  Some days are better than others and I try to remember what I ate the day before or what I did differently.  There is no rhyme or reason to it.  
I found a chiropractor that began deep tissue massage along the outside muscle of my thighs up into my hips.  That gave me some relief and I thought it was helping but I haven't seen him in a month and the condition is bad again.
I am going to try your recommendation of calcium, omega-3, vitamin D3, and bio-flex.  I'' let you know how I do with all that.
I am 54 and have had this problem for almost 3 years now. I have had low vitamin d for quite some time but have been on the 50,000 iu regimen several times and I now take 5000 iu a day. I have no idea what to do. I have problems more some days than others and there are times I can't get up the steps without pulling myself up with the handrail.

Some days I think I'm fine and others I can barely move. Has anyone found something that was a permanent fix?
I'm 44 and have just started to get the hip pain and difficulty walking after sitting at a desk for a while.  I've been in this job since mid-April this year and have never had these symptoms (as most people are describing) before.  I'm convinced it's the chair I'm sitting on at work combined with using a laptop for long periods of time - it's after this that the symptoms are worst:  when I first stand up, it's very difficult to walk but as I manage to walk the pain almost disappears.  I have just ordered a footrest to put under the desk and the next thing I shall do is explain the difficulties to my line manager - I'm hoping she'll get an occupational therapist to review my desk arrangement and seating position.  I'll let you all know how that goes.  I'm hoping for the best and sincerely hope this is not something serious.  By the way, I'm not overweight and have always been fairly active - about to start doing the kettle-bell workout again and hoping that I'll get some relief from that.  Wishing you all the best.
same problem here, got an MRI and had a fragment pinching on my nerve on the L4-L5, have had 2 laminectomy due to the problem and feel like I'm going to have the rods and screws now.  Can't sit or stand for anytime, therefore can't work and denied disability.  Good luck to you all!
Same problem here.  I've been searching for hrs on the internet and can't really find anything that sounds like it but this thread and there seem to be no answers here.  My theory on me is that I got permanent muscle damage taking statins (google that…there's tons of info out there that statins cause permanent muscle damage).  I also used to have a lot of total body inflammation from autoimmune reactions to food.  I cleaned up my diet to Paleo and everything is better, but still I will get this condition now and then…I don't know why.  If I exercise too much I get generally stiff and this thing si worse.  I will keep checking this thread to see if anybody cures themselves.
Thank you all. I'm a massage therapist and have a female client with all of these same exact symptoms. Yesterday I worked her psoas, quads and TFL. When she came in she could hardly stand from sitting. After the session she was 60%-70% better and stood much easier. I'll call her tomorrow to see if there's any change. PLEASE post if you find out anything new. Thanks MsColorado for your awesome input.
Thanks for your post! Please let us know how you are doing. Very important to me as I have a client with all these same exact symptoms. Thanks again.
I'm still searching dear. I will let you know.
Thanks and I hope we find out what's going on soon. I'm wondering what meds everyone in this forum is taking. Everyone who is on statins please stand up! and let us know. There are studies on statins that show these types of symptoms. Very helpful to let us know who's on statins.
I fully agree! There is definitely a muscular component to this, at least with my client there is. But I'm sensing there's something else underlying this scenario. I'm thinking it might be statins.
This is Candy5555 again.  I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees, documented by X-rays.  So when I started having leg problems I at first ignored it, thinking it was part of the knee arthritis.   Then with the statins the leg pain got terrible and I started googling and figured out that statins were a problem.  As I mentioned things got a lot better after I got off statins and became Paleo (both helped), but now I'm wondering if the knee arthritis enters into the problem somewhere.   But mostly I'm still suspecting that everyone here took statins?  Am I right folks?  But I am still left with the pain when I get up after having sat for awhile, very embarrassing in restaurants and theaters, and frankly very painful for the first 20 steps or so, then the pain goes away.
I am a female in late 50's and have had this twice..., hip pain which was worse after sitting.  The orthopedic surgeon looked at my hip X-Ray, said I didn't have arthritis, so it must be bursitis.  This is what helps and what doesn't.  What DID NOT help was accupuncture, chiropracter, physical therapy, sitting on a cushion, using a treadmill desk instead of sitting, and the exercises in  this book "Fixing You, Hip and Knee Pain  by Rick Olderman"   The things that I think DO HELP are  pain medication (NSAIDS) ...my favorites are naproxen (Aleve)  every 12 hrs or Meloxicam (Mobic)  every 24 hrs,  wearing spanx power panties, losing weight, and the water exercises in this book "Heal Your Hips, by Robert Klapper, and Lynda Huey.    I did not take statins.    I will not get a cortisone shot unless the pain is unbearable.    The first time it took over a year to get well.  This time I've had it a year so far. I still am not well, but I'm better,  I am comfortable enough to function.
I'm a 71 y/o active male who's been having mild symptoms ranging from feet numbness starting over ten years ago to leg pain when sitting during those years progressively getting worse as time goes on. Walking standing for extended periods of time brings on heavy dull leg pain, and if I sit for awhile and try to get up sometimes not always it is very difficult, and painful straightening my knees, and hips to stand up. I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis my L-4 L-5, pinching nerves. A board certified neurologist said my standing from sitting problem is arthritis, and ordered physical therapy for Spinal Stenosis, warning me to stay away from surgery that surgeons will put screws in me [back] and "screw me up!"

What works for me is to restrict my walking, standing, and sit with my legs up, and rest. If I rest completely as in light duty, my symptoms disappear until I overdue it again. For pain I use  hydrocordone 10mg every 6 hours 2xD it is a BIG help!!!

Walking is my nemesis that brings on these pain, if I restrict walking I have less problems. I'm presently doing specific physical therapy under professional medical guidance. You can't do it yourself physical therapy without COMPETENT medical supervision (some are better than others I found out). Although I just started the latter it seems to be helping, but early.

In my case I have to put things in perspective what I want to accomplish being that I 'm 71 , with an average life  expectantly a white male being 76 years.

Hope this helps a little ?

I never took statins, my cholesterol is good. NSAID's I  avoid as they can constipate you. For exercise bicycling, and swimming. I'm also thinking, but not sure coffee, soda, acidic drinks, and food may aggravate condition?

I noticed that there are a few people who posted their L4- L 5 vertebra are problematic like mine who are having difficulty getting up after sitting for awhile... where there is smoke there is fire?
Hello , i am female 21yo student in university , Greece.
I have the same symptoms with one exception, i dont feel any pain.
Whenever i sit some minutes or more in a chair, in bed, wherever..
then i difficult make the first steps and even more difficult i climb stairs. Is it strange? I hadnt any injury, im fully healthy, i ve done before 2-3 months all general exams in the hospital just for check up.. I used to ride my bike, i am realy active person..
Should i go to a doctor?
I am afraid a bit..
To Salaxi,
Only you can answer that question whether you should go to a Dr. or not.  In general, the body heals itself, but sometimes we need reassurance, a prescription, a cortisone shot, or a referral for physical therapy.  Hip bursitis is described as No pain when sitting, but hip pain on initial steps after sitting. Any age person can get it.
Planonnp
I'm 71, and told by a 71 y/o board certified neurologist my not being able to stand, and walk from sitting is arthritis.

Try not being so active, and rest COMPLETELY 2-3 days or longer to see if symptoms get better? Walking too much, and direct air conditioning on my bones brings on my above symptoms.

Rest, hot baths, and pain killers is what I'm doing, also trying physical therapy now.

IMO stay away from injections, and surgery ! Don't believe me Google for yourself.
I am 47, good health, no broken bones ever. Always active and not overweight. I've started having pain in my hips at night to the point it wakes me up. I usually have to make at least one trip to the restroom in the middle of the night (depending on how much liquids I drink before bedtime) and it takes a minute or so to get my legs to move once I put my feet on the floor. I walk with such an uneven gait, I walk like my mother who is 83 years old. I've gotten really concerned because I've also started having lots of cramping in my lower extremeties, particularly my feet and up to my knees. Going to the Doc for a physical next week so I'm already geared up to ask lots of questions and try to get to the answer of why I m losing mobility.
well at least I found some people with similar issue.  this is the craziest thing- one day no issue and the next day and from that day on every time I get up from a chair it's like I'm 90 yrs old.  Yet I can get out and take a brisk walk with my dog every morning, I can stretch my legs, no issue.  I am 54 by the way, not overweight, I  have suffered from back pain for many years off and on (due to degenerative disc disease as I was told years ago), Yoga has helped with that a lot.  Keep the core strong.  But this is something different.  it's hard to describe.  I do not have pain when sitting and would not even describe this as pain, exactly. it is just that the muscles lock up or something and take a few minutes to ease back out when I first get up from sitting/laying.  A co-worker has issues with her IT bands and says that may have something to do with it.  She has sciatica and scoliosis so I think her IT bands are related to that.  
I am lactose intolerant so I will look more into vitamin D deficiency symptoms but so far what I found about that do not describe this.  I don't have dark skin or any of the other symptoms of that.  it is downright embarrassing when I go to get up at a restaurant or something and I can't walk right!  And I sure would like to find out what I can do to keep it from getting worse!
I was wondering how you are doing with your leg pain.  I had started with leg pain in my late 40's, was slightly overweight.  Now, I am 55-100 pounds overweight and the pain in my legs is unbearable.  I am a very active person, an RN-have a family-entertain-etc., but have had to slow down.  Rolling over in bed, going up and down stairs, and from seating to standing position are the toughest.  I can walk, but not long distances due to the pain.  I occasionally take Motrin, but don't want to wreck my stomach too!  I have bought about 25 pairs of shoes thinking that was the problem.  Are you any better?  What did you do?  Did you ever get a diagnosis?
I cannot sit down on or rise from my toilet seat!!! Never had that problem before June,2014. The same goes for sitting or lying on anything else. I cannot bend and raise my legs high enough to get into bathtub for a good shower. Having to cat bathe from bathroom sink.
The pain is excruciating upon rising, even while holding onto anything for support. The lower back hurts about half of the times I rise, but not all the time. I do have severe spondylolitis, but not sure yet if that is the cause.
Was suppose to see my Dr. on June 26th but transportation did not show up to take me, so my reschedule had to be July 30th. A very long wait to see my Dr.
Been using heating pad, pain pills (my old ones from another time) and a walker I was given by a Dr. June 5th at a clinic to use until I see my Dr.
I am absolutely miserable. On scale from 1 to 10, pain is 15!!
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain.  It makes me thankful for my small amt. Yes that is a long time to wait.   I've read that if you should lose bowel or bladder control that is a surgical emergency, call 911 to have the ambulance take you to the ER.
Please be be careful when you tell people you can lose bowel control with this condition as professionals were NOT with me to the point of almost scaring me into preventative un-necessary spinal surgery. I had an ER doctor, and a neurologist at the VA warn me, along with my private doctor that I should go to emergency right away if I lose my bowels (can't eliminate). When I scheduled back surgery the neurosurgeon surgeon told me the same thing too. Luckily I got a second opinion from a Board Certified neurologist who told me "Losing your bowels with this condition is rare, like crossing the street getting hit by a blue car!" He recommended physical therapy only, and to STAY AWAY from the surgeons that they will put screws in me, and screw me up!

An Aside:  Both I and the "Board Certified" Neurologist are 71 years old. When I went to the VA for Physical Therapy the pain doctor there told me to go to emergency if I lose my bowels too. I politely scolded her for not telling me it is also very rare with what she could of just scared me with. Her 'Deer in the headlights' come back was: "It's for Education."

Always get other opinions before accepting what's wrong, and what needs to be done. It took me 4 opinions to find someone who knew what he was taking about or at least the whole story.

I take 10mg Hydrocodone twice a day for pain management. Works for now.

As the board certified neurologist told me, "This is nature"  (nothing lasts forever). He is also board certified in psychology.  

I read your comment online concerning Hip pain and after walking disappears, I work IT and in good shape not overweight but for a couple of months I figured sitting might be the problem, maybe because I am sitting on a wallet, anyway did you ever figure it out because I start off walking from a meeting looking 70 but in a short distance I am moving like I am 30, thanks in advance for any input

James
I have several posts here, but I'd like to tell you I have the same problem, and more. I started out similar to you, and have acquaintance's with same condition various stages. All I can say from what I've been able to learn it is arthritis, and maybe more? You may or may not believe me, but time will tell. I don't think it is the chair alone i.e., if you were in your teens maybe?

Godspeed.
Thanks, a friend with similar problems says he knows somebody in our area (Chicago land) who is in the process doing platelet injections. I don't believe it would work for pinched nerve back pain?

Remember, before physical therapy the treatment was rest these conditions. If I rest days or weeks my back/leg symptoms abate commensurately, until the next time. :-(

Physical therapy aggravates my condition.

Godspeed.
Just curious,  how did the change work? Are you still having trouble walking after sitting for awhile? Your symptoms match what I am experiencing exactly.
Struggle to get out of your chair? Puffed-out on the stairs? Could you be growing old before your time?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2084414/Struggle-chair-Puffed-stairs-Are-growing-old-time.html#ixzz3A0MLkIVM
I've got the same problem, but mine started AFTER my second fusion surgery of L4, L5 & S1, fused with rods and screws. My first surgery was with clips, but somehow I fractured a vertebrae, even though I have extremely stong bones!  I'd had chronic back pain for five years prior to my surgeries and went thru every kind of conservative treatment. I was otherwise very healthy & active at 40 and had to beg for surgery at 45. I lost 25 pounds and wore a back brace for six months, which helped, so my neurosurgeon finally consented to perform my first surgery, and then installed rods & screws on my second surgery. Due to inactivity, I put back on 16 pounds, I still have problems sitting, walking and standing (5 minutes standing in one spot, and 30 minutes of sitting), but it's been getting easier each day as long as I listen to my body.  I still use a cane off and on, depending upon the severity of these "spells."  My  neurosurgeon has told me everything looks perfect on x-ray, even though my second surgery was a year and two months ago now. It's been a very long and difficult recovery process with the rods & screws. Just beware that it may take you much longer than you think to heal from such a serious surgery and make sure you get as much help as possible while you recover! I still have difficulty doing simple tasks like doing dishes at the sink, one load of laundry or vacuuming one room!
I still have no answers about the constant aching hips... I'm only 46 and I have to take it one day at a time, and "grin & bear it" A LOT! At this point, I am seriously considering hiring a maid to help me!
I wish you all the best luck!
Wow I thought I was the only one with this problem after sitting cant walk. My father had the same problem and i think it may be hereditary. I am heavy but think there is more to it. I am 50 and saw your post thinking there might be a reason for this pain, I think as we get older osteoperosis may be causing it. I found out a month ago that after back surgery that the surgeon had found very week bone matter and He recommended seeing my primary Doc for a bone density test and get on some prex calcium. Note that I did everything right when it came to health vitamins supplements and working out with weight training swimming running you name it. I looked like a mini Arnold Swarzenager I hope you find some comfort in you journey to feeling better I will see my Doctor in days to come...      
I have very bad pain in legs  and am very stiff and also pain in  hips if I stand for to long, and from standing after sitting ,I feel like and old man but after moving around I unstiffen and the pain stops doctor hasent got a clue can you help
Could be inflamed Bursa.
Could be inflamed Bursa.
I have all the same symptoms and had no help until I went to a rheumatologist.  I've found some relief with Humira and Nirtriptyline.  The Humira controls the inflammation and the Nortriptyline helps with nerve pain, being able to sleep better, and depression.  I'm wondering if serotonin and norepinephrine being out of whack is responsible for a lot of pain.  It's good to get checked out by a rheumatologist because if you do have rheumatoid arthritis, there are meds that help to slow down the damage.
It doesn't sound like anyone knows what the cause or solution is. My pain has been increasing over the past year. I am 61 ,work out daily etc. but now it's painful to do most workouts; every type of exercise makes me sore whether it's yoga, elliptical,weights,running,step. I can hardly get up from a seated position, get up from the toilet etc. I do take vitamin D3, cholesterol okay,taking DHA. I get temporary relief from NSAIDs, massage, but still in so much pain! Who should I go see for help? Don't want to live on painkillers. Know I have arthritis in feet and knees.
I have the same problem , when I first get up from a seated position, I have to wait before I start walking. I cannot lay on my sides becasue my thighs hurt so bad, my legs burn and my feet are swollen. When walking  my legs at times give out. I am searching for some answers. I had a x-ray a month ago and nothing showed up. I am going back tothe doctor for more test. I wish I knew what is going on
I have been in great health. My Dr commented on my physical in March that she hasn't seen me since my last physical a year ago. For some reason I let her talk me into getting the pneumonia shot. Then got it in a few days. What a hard one that was been back at least twice since then. Now my legs are week and hurt when I first get up from sitting. No pain while in bed or just sitting but when I get down on the floor legs will not get me up have to use som kind of assistance. Walked over five miles thanksgiving now afraid to try it age on but don't hurt when I walk. Anyone else had or have this problem I'm 76.
I'm 52 and researched the pain in my legs and upper arms when I would get up from sitting, was horrible like arthritis, then it would disappear when I started walking etc.., I found that the combination of B1,B 6, B12, and Alpha Lipoic acid are for the nerves (research Neuropathy symptoms), found the supplement in sprouts "nerve fix", but there are other vitamin stores you can check, well its only been a week, (said it would take 2-3 wks to see a difference) and I was up off my desk chair at work several times, and just noticed "no pain"? I love it. For now, its working, I'm very happy, I have energy and love that I didn't turn to surgery or drugs, yes they
are vitamins, but the pain at night has vanished as well.
Deidra in California.
Wow! So many people with same problem.  I have had problem straightening after sitting for about a year, getting progressively worse.  MRI and X-rays show no significant problems.  Specialist suggested leg brace but as this only helps when walking and I have no pain then it just makes it even more difficult to stand.  Physio suggested hips rather than knees.  At the moment I am managing it by bending knees and hips until I touch the floor and holding this for a few seconds.  No pain killer seems to help. Recently even hurts whilst sitting at times.  No pain in the mornings or after reclining with legs up.
Same symptoms as everyone else excruciating pain when getting out of bed in my legs and back. From sitting to standing it takes a while to straighten up and walk. My orthopedic specialist doesn't know what it can be, my regular physician blames it on my weight, my rematologist blames it on my weight, my physiatrist orders an MRI of my lumbar spine, I hope they find something because I have been a voluptuous woman my whole life and I have never experienced pain like this, it has gotten in the way of my ability to live life, I want my life back!!!
it's been about 6 weeks since you posted, how is it working out for you? i'm 50, i'm overweight but healthy, i do not take any prescriptions and prefer to keep it that way - so i'm liking your recommendations - the pain i experience is fairly recent, i have a desk job, i thought maybe my chair was too hard, but even when i sit on the sofa it happens when i stand, my right leg is "difficult" to operate from the hip/thigh area, i have to kind of use lower leg control to keep it going and i experience a rather localized groin pain as well, only when i stand  - after a minute or two of movement all pain goes away
I have this and my vitamin D is low.  I'm going to have to see if it gets better taking Vitamin D vitamins.  Thanks I totally forgot about that.  Thanks
Hi, I am new to this forum.  My pain in my legs sounds like most of you, but..no pain in bed or walking.  Just trying to get off toilet, or up out of a chair or out of a car..legs are so sore and achy..feels like I just finished a marathon..since I have done TWO marathons,..I know what that achy leg pain feels like.  It is this same achy pain.  I have to "count to three" then swing up, or use hands.  Then the raising of my body..I practically shake trying to stand.  Once standing..no more pain.  Recently, went kayaking and could not get up out of the kayak and fell in the lake.  I am in late 50's..went to dr and she said my labs came out perfect.  I have been active all my life, and this is NOT imagined.  There is something clearly wrong..but there seems to be no answer to this?  
This is truly unbelievable that so many people are having the exact same symptoms and that there is not one physician that I have heard yet to figure out what is happening?  WOW!!!  I have exactly what you are talking about.  Have seen my mother over the years have the same issues along with numerous back surgeries that did not help.  I refuse to have surgery and also believe in vitamins, supplements, and physical therapy or anything non-evasive.  Thank you so much regarding the suggestion of vitamins.  I will be getting them ASAP!  If this works, I will be posting on this site to let everyone know.  THANK YOU!!!  Any suggestion is worth looking into.
I'm 35 years old, who had a surgery on my one leg(9 screws and 2 plates) about 3 years ago. I never had any problem until may be about 6 months ago. My lower limb hurts so bad when I stand up after sitting down for awhile, I don't feel any pain while sitting down. I keep telling myself, why am I feeling like I'm 90 on my mid 30's!? I don't take any prescription and very healthy to be feeling like this. Just like everyone above, it's so embarrassing to be in a public and having trouble to walk after getting up.

Interesting forum.  I am 59 years old.  Had left hip replaced October 15, 2014 when I was 57.  It was due to arthritis.  I currently moved to a place with all hardwood flooring.  I had no problem at my old home with carpeting and linoleum flooring.  Now, everyday it hurts when I get up from sitting and try to walk.  I have to get myself going, then I am pretty much okay.  I do the physical therapy exercises I learned from my hip replacement therapy when this becomes a huge problem.  It does help.  I will do biking, backward walking on the treadmill and the elliptical occasionally during the week at Snap Fitness.  It helps.  I went through my change of life at 50.  I do have arthritis in the other hip as well and that will need to be replaced someday.  But, the hardwood flooring and tile flooring I believe is what is currently  making this condition feel much worse than it really is.  I do wear my orthodics with my slippers in this new place.  It does help.  But, maybe vitamins and supplement would also assist?  I don't know, but I don't like it.  I have never felt my age until now.  Anyone else on this forum have hardwood flooring that is over 50?
I have this same issue that started in June, when I asked my new doctor he said it was caused at the base of the iliac (?) bone?. Of the skeleton in your butt, there evidently is fluid around them, he didn't,t really have an answer other than Advil.. Said there were shots I could get, but yeah can't sit for long periods of time, feels like the bone is coming through the butt.. Takes a minute after I stand ,, before I can walk..... Getting worse
All of your symptoms sound like Ankylosing spondylitis. Google it. I just found out I have this and I have had all of the symptoms you all mention.
Try seeing a massage therapist! There are many things that can cause hip pain...if structural defects and osteoarthritis (and other inflammatory arthritides) are ruled out by your doctor then it could be a torqued sacrum, up slipped sacroiliac joint, inflared or outflared ilium, greater trochanter bursitis, iliopsoas contracture, or even referred pain from your low back. The most common overlooked cause is iliopsoas contracture! This muscle attaches to your low back and comes forward through your abdomen in front of your hip to attach to the top front of your femur. It is the prime muscle for hip flexion so when you have been seated for a while it will get tight and make straightening out your legs when you stand up difficult and painful. A massage therapist can assess your hips and the muscles around your hips so you can get some answers! They can treat all of the above mentioned culprits of hip pain. Well I don't know how competent massage therapists are in other places in the world but they are definitely capable in Ontario and British Columbia at least.
I am 58 and suffering the same symptoms described above. I have seen a Neurosurgeon, Orthopedic Surgeon, Neurologist. I have had an MRI of my spine, and brain. I have had an EMG. I have had a Brain Scan and a Bone Scan and an EEG. I have had X-rays. The only thing I have been told is I have some Arthritis in the hip joints (some mushrooming of the ball joint in my Hip). I can't sit for too long because getting up causes severe pain and takes some amount of time before I can put weight on my left leg. When I drive I have to stop after 20 to 30 minutes to stand because of the discomfort in my left hip and leg. The lower I sit and the longer I sit the worse it is getting up.
So about a few weeks ago I've been getting this horrible aching pain in my upper leg joint. The pain also continues down into my ankle. When I sit down and try standing up its when the pain is the worst. The pain can be to the point where I can't move. Ive also been having dull aches in my back. Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm 21 so I'm finding it hard to believe it's something to series but you never know.
What type of doctor or guru helped you?
Same thing.   I'm a secretary and of course sit a lot.   I have a lot of trouble walking when I get up.   It gets better after I've walked a while.   Also if I'm on the floor I have to drag myself until I can get into a standing position and then I have difficultly walking.     I do have back problems and have started going to a chiropractor but that hasn't helped this situation.   I also had PMR and was on steroids for 3 years.
I started gettin pain after a uti infection,but I'm in so horiffic pain with my left hip the pain is not only in my hip but groin too,can't sit down for a long time or the pain gets worse can't bend down or I struggle to get bk up I also can't lay down or I can't get up the same as when sitting seen doctor he gave me codeine but they just make u sleepy pain is always there it never goes a someone give me some answers what it could be
63 woman over wieght legs and feet sore even when sitting down why please