Orthopedics Community
removal of radial head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

removal of radial head

Will my pain get any better ...Will my arm grow back to normal length...Will my doctor tell me all the bad possible outcomes...my arm is shrinking ...is there a specialist I should be referred to...isn't my doctor suppose to refer me their or will he assume total reponsibility of the out come...because he is a nice guy...he told me this operation would be best for me.What happens to my cartilage my nerves my ligements my ect.ect.can someone give me an honest answer...
     Thanks for writing in. The radial head is shaped like a round disc and is important in motion of the elbow. The radial head moves both in flexion and extension (bending) of the elbow joint, as well as rotation of the forearm. Therefore, injury to the radial head can affect all movements of the elbow. Radial head fractures that are not badly displaced can be managed by splinting the elbow for a short period of time.

More significantly displaced radial head fractures may require surgery for stabilization of the fracture, or possibly an excision of the radial head. Determining which type of treatment is appropriate depends on several factors including the number of bone fragments, injury to other bones and ligaments around the elbow, and activity level of the patient.

If the radial head requires removal, an implant may need to be put in its place to prevent elbow instability. This is only necessary if other bones and/or ligaments have been injured. Otherwise, removal of an isolated radial head injury usually does not cause any impairment in function of the elbow joint.
Consult a orthopaedician for further information on this.
Best.
Hi there In Oct 2008 I had a accident where I had a radial fracture.I was misdiagnosis for almost a month and a half. Finally I saw another  Doctor went ahead and did a radial head replacement with metal that would stay in for the rest of my life.I am also diagnosis with RSD,  still this day do not have full mobility of my right arm. Not to many doctors do this and I am trying to find another Doctor who deals with this type of injuries! I'm I ever going to be better?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If your mobility problems are due to RSD problems you have to treat it separately.
Radial head replacement would take atleast 12-16 weeks for healing and followed by Physiotherapy.
Did you follow the do's and dont's after the radial head replacement?

For RSD you can also consult a neurologist. Take care!
I broke my radius head from skateboarding in 3 places they had to remove 2-3 inches of bone on my right arm I'm in physical therapy right now I'm starting to be able to bend my arm straight but its tougher to bend back up all the way I still can't and I cannot turn my arm back and forth all the way I'm 18 and have a long life ahead of me I'm really scared because this is my arm  and hand I do everything with the doctor said he could have put in a prosthetic but I'm too young and its usually for older people I broke it September 3rd and got surgery the 10th I just got out of splint the 27th I'm just so nervous that this one injury could ruin my life forever anybody else have this problem? Will it get to atleast like almost I never did break it?
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I fell on 11-13-13 and had the radial head replaced and 2 screws. I am a lot older than you, but understand your frustration and concerns. I'm right there with you. The hand is still swollen and I cannot close my fingers, I have almost no strength in it and my shoulder is partially frozen. I tread going to therapy twice a week, because it hurts so bad. Oh yeah, I can't take most pain meds. Hope you improve soon. Take care!