Orthopedics Community
removal of radial head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

removal of radial head

Will my pain get any better ...Will my arm grow back to normal length...Will my doctor tell me all the bad possible outcomes...my arm is shrinking ...is there a specialist I should be referred to...isn't my doctor suppose to refer me their or will he assume total reponsibility of the out come...because he is a nice guy...he told me this operation would be best for me.What happens to my cartilage my nerves my ligements my ect.ect.can someone give me an honest answer...
     Thanks for writing in. The radial head is shaped like a round disc and is important in motion of the elbow. The radial head moves both in flexion and extension (bending) of the elbow joint, as well as rotation of the forearm. Therefore, injury to the radial head can affect all movements of the elbow. Radial head fractures that are not badly displaced can be managed by splinting the elbow for a short period of time.

More significantly displaced radial head fractures may require surgery for stabilization of the fracture, or possibly an excision of the radial head. Determining which type of treatment is appropriate depends on several factors including the number of bone fragments, injury to other bones and ligaments around the elbow, and activity level of the patient.

If the radial head requires removal, an implant may need to be put in its place to prevent elbow instability. This is only necessary if other bones and/or ligaments have been injured. Otherwise, removal of an isolated radial head injury usually does not cause any impairment in function of the elbow joint.
Consult a orthopaedician for further information on this.
Best.
Hi there In Oct 2008 I had a accident where I had a radial fracture.I was misdiagnosis for almost a month and a half. Finally I saw another  Doctor went ahead and did a radial head replacement with metal that would stay in for the rest of my life.I am also diagnosis with RSD,  still this day do not have full mobility of my right arm. Not to many doctors do this and I am trying to find another Doctor who deals with this type of injuries! I'm I ever going to be better?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If your mobility problems are due to RSD problems you have to treat it separately.
Radial head replacement would take atleast 12-16 weeks for healing and followed by Physiotherapy.
Did you follow the do's and dont's after the radial head replacement?

For RSD you can also consult a neurologist. Take care!
I broke my radius head from skateboarding in 3 places they had to remove 2-3 inches of bone on my right arm I'm in physical therapy right now I'm starting to be able to bend my arm straight but its tougher to bend back up all the way I still can't and I cannot turn my arm back and forth all the way I'm 18 and have a long life ahead of me I'm really scared because this is my arm  and hand I do everything with the doctor said he could have put in a prosthetic but I'm too young and its usually for older people I broke it September 3rd and got surgery the 10th I just got out of splint the 27th I'm just so nervous that this one injury could ruin my life forever anybody else have this problem? Will it get to atleast like almost I never did break it?
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I fell on 11-13-13 and had the radial head replaced and 2 screws. I am a lot older than you, but understand your frustration and concerns. I'm right there with you. The hand is still swollen and I cannot close my fingers, I have almost no strength in it and my shoulder is partially frozen. I tread going to therapy twice a week, because it hurts so bad. Oh yeah, I can't take most pain meds. Hope you improve soon. Take care!
My injury sounds like yours.  I also had my radial head replaced.   I basically shattered my elbow...  Three broken bones, a dislocation and a lot of soft tissue damage.   The radial head and bursa shattered.   I'm just now 4 months post op and can't straighten my arm.  I'm at 40 degrees on my own and 30 when he therapist pushes.  My bending is finally better, but reaching my face and mouth are still very painful.  The pain is debilitating at this point.  You are one full month ahead of me... Is there hope?   I see the doctor tomorrow to discuss removing the metal head and just having a 'radial head excision'.   It's all very scary.    
Hey..  Just checking in and seeing how your arm is doing.   I may have to have the radial head excision like you did.   I'm wondering if yours ever got better?   I do hope you are feeling better...   Hurting your arm so badly is terrible!  
Hello and I Welcome all of you to the MedHelp Orthopedic Community! I am the new Community Leader, I have only been on this site for about a month. I am a Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant (25+ years) and will be more than happy to give my opinion(s) on this website, but please always consult with your physicians.

I would like to interject that the key to ROM (Range of Motion) is, of course, movement. You have to keep the scar tissue from inhibiting your future movements. Sometimes you have to be pretty aggressive and that is painful. Just please follow your Physical Therapists direction and don't cause additional injury.

I would love to hear any post-op/ROM results if anyone would like to share with the community! If anyone has any further questions/ issues for me, please feel free to contact me anytime!

Everyone have a Great Day!  JD1963

I had a radial head replacement 12+ years ago and for the last 2 years I have had weakness and stiffness and pain. The CT scan shows all cartilage between the implant and my bone has worn out, creating bone on metal. I was given 2 options for surgery, remove the implant or do a full elbow replacement. I chose to remove the implant, I am 37 and feel a full replacement may wear out in 10+ years. Surgery is June 3rd, I hope this will get me back to surfing.
I had a partial radial head excision (right elbow) which lead to my elbow somewhat freezing up after this partial radial head extraction.  I went for 2 more opinions after the recommendation from the first surgeon for the total radial head excision.  I had the two surgeries in 1991.  After the second surgery, I had a passive motion machine that I wore 24 X 7 for 30 days.  My elbow started to freeze again which for me was an unacceptable quality and way of life.  I trusted my physical therapist and I asked her if I put my upper arm against the physical therapy wall and she pushed on my forearm to break away the adhesion(s) if there was anything that could cause further damage.  She said no and I told her she would not be liable for any complications.  I put a clean towel in my mouth for the pain and she did push on my right forearm which we both could hear the scar tissue breaking loose.  I am about 6 degrees shy of both flexion and extension but before having the therapist do this I was about 40 degrees or more for the worse.  She was taken back since she had never had a patient ask her to do something like this.   I am not recommending or suggesting for anyone to do this.........But for me, this worked and I did regain a lot of degrees of mobility.  And YES, my elbow hurts when flexing such as doing biceps curls, etc.  I have arthritis in my elbow as well.  Good luck.  At the time of my surgeries, all surgeons stated there was no available replacement for the radial head.

I had a RHR about 2 weeks ago, I've not seen the Physio yet.
I understand it's early days, should I rest it? or should I be exercising?
I am 28 and very active (was)