Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
20 cm ovarian cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

20 cm ovarian cyst

I am 46 years old with normal periods. Yesterday I had pain in my right side and went to the emergency room. They did a CT scan and found a 20cm by 9 cm ovarian cyst.  I followed up with GYN but it was a quick visit in which he did a CA 125 blood test and scheduled me for a contrast MRI for next week to rule out cancer. At this point I can't reach the doctor and I am in a panic. Would a cyst this large automatically mean cancer?
Hi There
no, most cysts are benign, But at 20 cm it will not go away on its own. The best thing would be to remove that cyst with surgery.
best wishes to you.
I have had a 9lb ovarian cyst and was in great pains during my period and it wasn't cancer.  Only a doctor can determine that.  Yet I hear this can be common and fine.  Keep your worring to a min.  Do research and be prepared.  The sooner you take action in anything gives you a better chance..

I was also recently told I have a large cyst in my abdomen.  They aren't 100% sure but they think it's from my right ovary.  They found it during my 20 week ultrasound and it measures 25x17x18cm.  I have probably had it for about 5 years or so and not noticed it.  I just thought I had a pot belly.  They tell me because of the size and because it looks uncomplicated (unilocular) and probably fluid (serous) or mucus filled (mucinous) that it is highly unlikely that it is cancerous.  At worst, they think it may be borderline cancerous.  I have been trying to read up as much as possible on ovarian cysts and for the most part I'm finding that the uncomplicated ones are usually benign.  I haven't been able to find anyone else that has had one this big during pregnancy.  I have to have it removed by laparotomy next week (Mar.22/07) to keep it from affecting the growth of my baby.  I'll be 22 weeks at that time.  I was told I had the option of having ultrasound guided aspiration of the cyst but the gyne-oncologist recommended the surgery as he wanted to prevent rupture or leakage of the cyst if it should happen to be mucinous and not drain through the needle.  So, instead they want to remove it intact which means a major midline incision.  I'm pretty worried about premature labour but they tell me there is little chance of that.  I just wish I could talk to someone who'd been through something similar because I would like to know how it turned out.
Hi Kaerbear,
It sounds like you are getting the right recommendation. It is scary to have surgery in pregnancy but it is very safe. You are right . A simple cyst is most likely benign.
good luck to you
I had my surgery one week ago and I am now at home recovering.  The baby is fine.  The mass was larger than they originally thought.  The doctor said my uterus was actually dented from the weight of it.  It was 30 cm and weighed 20 pounds!!  It was serous and benign.  It had taken my whole left ovary over so there was nothing left of it.  So my left ovary and tube are gone.  The fluid inside the cyst was over 6 litres.  My incision wound is almost a foot in length and I just had 33 staples removed today.  I lost 25 pounds in one week and I feel so light.  It really has been an incredible experience.  I know I'm one of the lucky ones to have this over and done with so easily but I hope that anyone else who may be going through something similar might find this and see that it will be alright.  Good luck and God bless to everyone out there!
A related discussion, 21 cm cyst was started.
A related discussion, 20cm cyst do not want surgery was started.