Ovarian Cancer Community
Bilateral Adnexal Cystic Lesions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Bilateral Adnexal Cystic Lesions

I am a 42 y/o who had a partial hysterectomy at 23 y/o... a recent pelvic ultrasound shows that I have bilateral Adnexal Cystic Lesions .I was advised that the testing (CT, PET, US) showed a polycystic condition in my pelvic region, and only about a total of 20% of the ovaries where actually visual.  I was recently diagnosed with a 2cm pulmonary nodule, that presented with uptake on the pet scan.  I am as well experiencing some gastrointestinal issues, which I have read could be related to the cystic lesions, however, the majority of  research I have been finding pertains to woman who have a uterus... I do have a family history of ovarian cancer.  Should I be concerned that these lesions are possible malignant?  From what I know, they did not present with UPTAKE on the PET Scan.  They are symptomatic.. with pain , and painful intercourse...  Should my GYN be considering removal of the ovaries?
1 Comment
Avatar dr f tn
I suggest that you take no chances. Also the pulmonary nodule needs to be thoroughly examined. Although you have no family history of cancer, it is better to be safe than sorry. You can go in for the necessary tests like an ultrasound scan, CT scan, PET, and also biochemical markers like CA125 and HE4 levels. Combinations of all these will help assess the risk of cancer. Discuss with your Doctor.
Hope this helps. Take care and good luck.