Ovarian Cancer Community
Can high estrogen levels be dangerous?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Can high estrogen levels be dangerous?

I am a 36 yr old woman with a history of POS. I have had since i hit puberty. I got lucky once getting pregnant. We are trying to get pregnant again but having no luck. my doctor tested my fsh levels and they were 7.2 but he said that he is really worried about my very high estrogen levels. He has warned me before about the odds of getting cancer and has recommend a partial hysterctomy if i did not get pregnant soon. what exactly are the dangers of very high estrogen. it makes me nervous b/c my doctor never calls back he always has his nurse give test results.
thank you,

rm

I wanted to respond sooner but had trouble logging on. It is late, so I need to be brief, but let's "chat" here tomorrow....I feel that it is a drastic measure for your doctor to consider a hysterectomy, partial or otherwise, because the estrogen is high. Why not just balance it with Natural Progesterone (not synthetic progestin and this is where it gets very very confusing)....I mean, what is the level? Did the nurse tell you? Low progesterone could also be affecting your fertility.  Oh, my gosh, I would definitely get another opinion (or two more) and do some research before  you make any decisions.

Sounds like this might be a "quick fix" but to what end? I mean, the doc would have to remove the ovaries in order to slow production of estrogen, right? Then (sorry to say)  your problems are just beginning. I understand that sometimes ovary removal is needed in many cases....but there has to be other ways to get this under control and it sounds like not all avenues have been taken regarding this. I had no idea on the face of the earth just how important our hormones are to us....for almost every funtion you can imagine from clear thinking to keeping cholesterol levels normal...joint/muscle function/clumsiness/chemical sensitivities,....on and on. And, the balance is key....and it sounds like you are totally out of balance, but surely there is help out there that has not been investigated.

Get your hands on anything regarding natural hormones....better referred to as Bioidentical Hormones....and don't let anyone talk you into a quick fix unless it is life or death....too much estrogen is not good...balanced estrogen/progesterone/testosterone.....is a good thing.

I am not a doctor. I am a mental health therapist with a Master's degree if that gives me any credibility, but most importantly, I went through a surgical menopause seven years ago and I do wish I knew then what I know now. I think my problems were surely caused by too much estrogen in my system, but if only I'd known about using the progesterone to balance things out....I might have been able to "save" myself. I will never know. But, I am a crusader for women's health and women's right to know EVERYTHING....and not be dismissed by people who do not understand the improtance our hormones play in our lives. On the other hand, I know you don't want to continue to suffer with the problems you have....but, do research this.

Off my soapbox...gee, this is long for a short note. Sorry....Once I get started!

Mary
I have to agree with Mary.  I've been on these forums for a year now and it seems to me that those with endometriosis or PCOS fare far worse after TAH with bilateral oopherectomy that the rest of their sisters.  Please think carefully about this radical surgery that should be the preserve of only the most serious of situations - i.e. life or death.  Your pelvic organs are all integral to each other and are important.  If a consult says oh you can always take some hormones after - walk away.  Good luck to you.