Ovarian Cancer Community
Clear Cell Carcinoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Clear Cell Carcinoma

My sister had her sugery last Wednesday and had a complete hysterectomy.  The tumor was the size of a cantaloupe and attached to the pelvis.  Therefore, she was labeled as Stage 2C.  She just received a call today that the cancer was "clear-cell carcinoma." She will begin chemo treatments in 1 month.  The gyne/oncologist believes that she is 100% cancer free right now.  The 25 lymph nodes that he removed were all clear.  Any thoughts on this type of cancer and the prognosis?  Thanks so much for your help and support.  This website has been my salvation.
The good news is that the doctors feel that she is 100 percent cancer free right now.  Lots of time, even with optimal debulking it is not always possible to remove the entire tumor and cells are left behind.  It is the hope that chemo will kill these cells that remain.  Think positive, the chemo is insurance not treatment for your sister if she was debulked at 100 percent.

Chemo isn't easy, they do say that it is doable.  Your sister still has a long hard road ahead of her.  Stats are only stats and the stats available today are based on treatment and surgery that was available 5 years ago, which could be different then treatment now.

Let us know how your sister does, encourage her to join us when she feels up to it.  There is nothing like the support of others that really know how you feel.
I was diagnosed with Stage 1A, Grade 3 because mine was a clear cell carcinoma.  I've read that Clear Cell has a higher reoccurrence rate, but again, stats are stats are stats.  We just never know.  I am currently getting ready to finish my 6th and final chemo treatment in two weeks and was told that this was a "preventative chemo", just as a little extra reassurance.  My doctor, whom I adore and trust, said that after my surgery, that I was totally resected of "all" disease.  Everything that was removed (and I mean everything) was absolutely negative for cancer, besides one spec on the inside of my original mass.

Chemo treatment is not easy, but very managable and your sister will do fine.  I believe positive attitude is absolutely the key to success.  She can get through this chemo and move on with her life, as I getting ready to do myself.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both, and if there is anything else I answer for you, just ask.

God bless.
Sounds like your sister is in good hands.  You and she are in my thoughts and prayers as she travels this road.  We are always here for you whenever you need us.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Thanks to all of you for the advice and support.  Jane, it is good to know that your doctor also believes that he has got it all. I am glad that the chemo treatments were "do-able."  My prayers are with all of you too!  Thanks again.  Barb