Ovarian Cancer Community
Could stomach bloating be caused by my complex ovarian cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hello,  I was diagnosed with a complex ovarian cyst in June.  My CA-125 was normal and I am scheduled to go see a specialist to have it surgically removed.  I am having a lot of constipation, and bloating like I'm pregnant.  Is this caused from the cyst or do you think there could be another problem?  I am having pain on my right side, the same side where the cyst is located.  I am really concerned because I can't fit into any of my clothes, with any comfort. Any answers would make me feel so much better.  HELP
I'm looking for the same answer.  My stomach is swelling and I'm consitpated all the time.  Did they find your cycst with an MRI?

Diana
Oh, also it was transvaginal.  sorry.  thanks so much for the replies.  I hope to get it removed soon.  I will let you know when I find something out.
Hi, they found the cyst by sonogram.  That's all they have done so far.  I am really the one pushing for it to be removed because it is a complex cyst.  will it go away on it's own?
i am bloating too and wondering if that is the case, I go in 1 week to hav mine 2 cysts looked at and so worried, please let me know if your weight changed after the removal.
Hi  I also have a complex hemorhagic cyst and I am experiencing bloating(I look pregnant) and constipation I had my CA-125 blood test done on Friday I see the Dr. on Wednesday (so I still have 4 long days left to think the worst)
Well, I went to another doctor and they said that they are not going to remove it.  I go in on thursday for a pelvic exam and some kind of scope to see if I have endometriosis.  Don't panic !!  This could be the same for you.  Just keep on your doctor to find the answer.  I also had another blood test called the ovarian antibody.  I haven't seen the results for that yet, but will let you know.
I had ovarian cancer 1 year ago.  When it was discovered my stomach looked like I was 9 months pregnant.  This was due to fluid in my stomach from something they called "floaties".  Apparently the floaties are cancerous.  When I was operated on in June of 2003 they removed 25 pounds of fluid from my stomach before they could start.
Good luck to you.  So far all is doinf good for me.  More tests this week and findings in a week and a half.
Hi  Klondike  I was just curious on how they found these floaties?  was it by ultrasound?  My ca-125 was at 18  I went back last week because of more pain  gave me the option to wait with pain meds or have surgery  but he thought it would go away on its owm so I opted to wait  but I am so bloated and in alot of pain I have been on the scales every week and my weight has not changed just my mid section is getting larger  Good luck  to you
I am on this site every day since the beginning of September, looking for encouragement from others dealing with the same issues I am dealing with.  I am scheduled for surgery for a septated cyst next Thursday and don't know what to expect. As I am reading all the posts, I can't help but wonder what has happened with the various individuals who have posted.  Any good news out there for the rest of us, please share it and let the Forum know how invaluable their service is to those in need!
I am having surgery May 9th, My stomach looks as if I am 7 months pregnant and I have had weight gain and my ankles are swollen like when I was pregnant.  I had my uterus taken out 2 years ago for fibroids all went well.  I was having darting little pains and had a CT of the abdomen.  They found a mass on my left ovary.  It is an ackward mass, unexplained that is why they prefer to have it removed.  
But reading about the floaties and the water weight.  Wow.
The floaties did you feel twitches like little feelings in your belly?
Did you have these symptoms too  or any one else.
Good luck everyone  - God bless
Alot of these posts are so old, is there anyone out there currently having these symptoms, and or how many of you had the surgery and how are you feeling now?

May 2008 posting.

Take care
Are the "floaties" you are referring to what is known as ascites?  From what I am reading, that is related to ovarian carcinoma.  Ascites is the fluid that buids up in in your stomach lining (the omentum).  I just posted for the first time as my question pertains to being very overweight, as I am.  It was hard to tell with my stomach already being so large if I am more distended or not.  I am not having horrific pelvic pressure, but definitely feel pressure, I thought it was a bladder infection.  However, the last year I have had very low energy, and acute low back pain, right on my tailbone.  I see a ob/gyn doc Friday and I am not sleeping at all and crying a lot..I am so worried.
I have the same symptoms of you and have a grapefruit sized cyst on right ovary and 7 cm uteran fibroid.  Very uncomfortable!  I think I know what you mean by floaties.  It freaked me out when I felt something like when I was pregnant and the baby was kicking.  But when I look above I see that they are probably talking about ascites.

Good luck.  I find out next steps for surgery May 15.
Hi my name is Maria

I also had a CT n MRI done n it show that i have a cyst n the middle of my stomach... im just waiting on my Dr to call me n see where do I go from there they said it was 3cm not  too sure how big is it...I also stay bloated feeling like i'm 6 mo n the funny thing about this I just had Bypass done 2 mo ago n April.... I lost pounds but the belly still there hummm so I wonder if the cyst is playing a part n this n keeping me from losing the weight on my stomach....
hi darling come on over to the cyst forum and read the stories there ... also please read my journal entries in my profile
good luck to u and god bless
sharon
Hi all,

This is my first time on this site but I am having the same issues as everyone else. I am hoping someone can give me some kind words. I have had really really bad constipation and finally went to my gastro doc. He did an xray which showed poop was everywhere! I did fleet for 2 days but still felt really bloated. also noticed a pain (kinda like a muscle cramp) on my lower right side. that seems to be where the bloating it too.  this never went away and it seemed like the more i ate, the worse i felt. the doc i was seeing was so useless that i ended up flying to VA for a second opinion. I saw my moms doc and he ordered a CT with contrast. of course this didnt show any poop or cysts. still though, i am sure this is an ovarian cyst. my per is several weeks late and i am not preggers (just feel and look like it). does anyone else have that strange pain on the lower right side? Its worse when i cough and it kills when i push down on it.  

Thanks!!!
i have had a complex cyst which did shrink but i have had new symptoms i changed my marina and got depo shot but it seems like my symptoms are getting worse could they have over looked me haveing cancer there are signs im haveing the ites a possiablty u think the doctors would check  it out aready? i feel like im being told nothing and haveing to seacrh for aswers my self im 20 going on 21 i did help my tummy is also starting to bloat and it hurts like pressure i feel prego and my tummy it hard i also have ingestion i only got when i was prego but im not prego im despart for aswers if anyone can give me advice please write to me ***@****
I am a cancer patient who feels strongly that anyone with a distended stomach and other symptoms should not ignore or wait to get satisfactory diagnosis.

Your doctor should do a pelvic ultrasound, examination, and order a CA-125.
Although these measures may still not be conclusive (the CA-125-can show false positives and negatives), you can follow up with aseries of CA-125's maybe a month apart. If your numbers are going up---do something about it.

I went to a radiologist specialist who misdiagnosed me (said he saw somehing --but it was not cancer--come back in 6 weeks ---same diagnosis---come back in 2 months).
Meantime the gyno/oncologist ( well renown secialist) also thought I was healthy--and ordered a follow up CA-125 which had gone from 52 to 150plus. Although I was quite alarmed he still wasn't too worried--decided to do another CA-125 in 5 weeks.

By then My CA-125 shot up to over 900. It was only then he ordered a CT-scan which showed disease spread within my abdomen.

2 weeks later we did surgery--and there was a lot of cancer! Not all showed up on the scan. He removed my omentum and a large tumor, then closed me up.

We did 4 rounds of Carbo/taxol and then a second surgery 3 months later.
Fortunately the chemo worked and he was able to do the complete hysterectomy.

I am now recovering fro he surgery and started my post chemo----6 rounds of cisplatin/taxol.

We are very optimistic---but I wish I had bee more assertive in asking for the CT-scan earlier. I'm thinking that the insurance companies dictate what the docs do to a large degree---so PLEASE be your own advocate. Joycie1