Ovarian Cancer Community
Cystadenoma versus cystadenocarcinoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Cystadenoma versus cystadenocarcinoma

A Pelvic Ultrasound and Transvaginal scanning have been completed and the test results indicate  1) 7.9 cm complex left ovarian cyst.  Cystadenoma versus cystadenocarcinoma.  The left ovary measures 8.5 x 6.5 x 5.4 cm and contains a 7.9 x 4.8 x 5.4 cm complex cyst with at least three loculations and a few septations identified.  2)3cm right ovarian simple cyst.  Simple cyst.

What does this mean in lay terms and what are some logical next steps?  How quickly should I move forward to take care of this matter?   The doctor has scheduled blood work including a CA125 and I am waiting for the doctor to go over the results.  The doctor is not available for 1 1/2 weeks to go over the test results and schedule next steps.  Should I be seeking someone in the interm to give me more information or is it safe enough to wait the 1 1/2 weeks?  My mother or siblings have never had any cancer concerns but my maternal first cousins have dealt with ovarian cancer and one or two have died in their 40's from it.
Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
1 Comment
Wow are you fast in your response...Thank you.  The doctor indicated the cyst definitely does need to be removed through a laparatomy due to the size of the cyst.  It will be tested for any malignancy at that time.  The doctor is an OB/Gyn and I was concerned if he/she was qualified to handle the procedure and my ongoing care if the tumor turns out to be malignant.  I will contact a Gyn oncologist for an additional opinion.  Would you suggest I have the Gyn-Oncologist do the surgical procedure and malignancy testing rather than my Ob/Gyn?  Can the cyst like the one I described be reduced in size by using birth control pills or any other methods before I move to the surgical excision stage?  I am in my early 50's and am still having regular periods.