Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Follicular Cyst - Post-Menopause

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Follicular Cyst - Post-Menopause

I am a 51 year post-menopause overweight (but working on losing weight) female with no children, early onset of menstruation (age 11) and limited birth control pill use.  Menstruation ceased in January of 2006. I started having lower right pelvic pain radiating into my upper thigh and sometimes hip approx. 6 wks ago. The pain occurs during intercourse as well as sometimes when just sitting or standing.  I saw my gyn and a transvaginal ultrasound was performed.  The findings indicated a 2 cm follicular cyst on my right ovary and two penny-sized fibroids on my uterus.  My gyn indicated that she believed I had nothing to worry about (even though she admitted that this type of ovarian cyst usually occurs in younger women).  We ran a CA125 just in case.  I am currently awaiting those results.  My gyn believes that barring elevated levels on the CA125, I would probably wait 6 to 9 months for another sonogram.  I have been reading that follicular cysts in post-menopause should be very closely monitored because they have a tendency to become malignant.  Can you offer some comments on the follow-up course for this type of cyst?  Although my 74-year old mother is still alive and doing very well, all of her six brothers and sisters have succumbed to some form of cancer, including breast cancer.  Thank you for your thoughts on this.
Hi there,
I find It hard to believe a small cyst is causing your pain. You should go back for another evalaution in a few weeks if your pain is not improved. By definition, a follicular cyst is a cyst of ovulation. that means it will be gone in a few weeks. If you have persistent pain, this needs to be evaluated  now.
Possibilities include:
a problem with your bowels
an unrecognized fracture of yur hip
an infection of your bladder
an infection of your uterus
a twist of the cyst called torsion

best wishes
The CA125 came back as 11, which they stated is within normal limits.  I know that under 35 is considered normal but have also read the other comments questioning the CA125's accuracy. I asked how long the pain would continue with a follicular cyst in a woman who has not had her period in 22 months and what to do about the pain but no answers were offered.  I am not expected to come back to them now for another 6 to 9 months.  This, of course, completely eliminates my husband's and my sex life because no position is comfortable these days when it comes to that.  And after dropping 21 lbs with proper diet and exercise and not gaining any weight back, my once loose clothes are tight again from my rib cage down so I know that I am bloated.  I am questioning whether 6 to 9 months is actually a plausible time frame to wait for another sonogram or should I request one earlier.