Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Hi there any one who can help,
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hi there any one who can help,

They found a mass on my right ovary and ordered am MRI. Radiologist confirmed the location of the tumor and also said there are no characteristics found correlating to malignancy which was a big relief. But today the tumor marker results came back and I am devastated because the nurse said CA 125 was in the 2000 and also CA 19-9 was elevated at 234. What does this mean?? Does it mean I have ovarian cancer for sure that has spread to gastro organs or have a gastro cancer that caused an ovarian tumor?? How can a negative MRI result in such bad tumor marker results?
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi There,
it is very frightening to not know what is going on. I am so sorry for your distress.
CA 125 can be a marker for malignancy and of course until that mass is removed, we will not know if it is malignant or benign.
It is reassuring that the xray shows a mass with benign properties- however, the only true diagnosis comes with surgery. So that leaves you with this terrible anxiety until the date of surgery.

On the other hand, CA 125 is a nonspecific test and can be elevated in many conditions.

depending on your age, in premenopausal women, the most common reason for an elevation of CA 125 is benign fibroids.. Endometriosis can also elevate this test as can inflammatory masses.

Please let us know how your surgery goes
best wishes
3 Comments
Blank
Thank you so much for your reply!! You have no idea how good it feels to have an listening and knowledgeable ear.. My one more question is why would cause CA 19-9 be also elevated at the same time? What could that mean?
Blank
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi there
BOth blood tests can be elevated for many reasons
I know it is hair raising to wait till surgery to find out exactly what it is
It is really tough
Take care
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank