Ovarian Cancer Community
Hormone imbalance producing ovarian cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I've been scheduled for surgery on May 22nd to remove cyst and my right ovary.  I will have another TVS 2 weeks prior to see status of cyst.  If smaller will cx. surgery.  The cause of my cysts are a hormonal imbalance.  I don't produce enough Progesterone to have normal periods and my cysts get bigger.  Usually they go away on their own but this one is very stubborn.  Has anyone out there have this problem?  My doctor is kind of stumped because my FSH and LH show that I'm in menopause.  My progesterone is low but I still produce a fair amount of estrogen (no menopausal symptoms other than irregular periods).  I've been to many GYN's and their only answer is to put me on BCP pills.  I am currently on them now.  Is it dangerous to be on BCP pills until menopause (I'm 45)?  I also bleed at times through the BCP pill (not breakthrough).  Does anyone experience this?  GYN wants me to stay on BCP pills to avoid lining build up and possible endometrial CA in future.  I went to a Holistic physician and he wanted to put me on natural progesterone but because of my current ovarian cyst work-up and ? if cyst is CA/benign he feels that until this is resolved he cannot recommend this.  He wants me to have an MRI of my pituitary gland to rule out microadenoma.  Should I consult an Endocrinologist prior to doing the MRI.  My prolactin levels have always been normal.  I'm still having discomfort but again my doctor thinks that it is not related to the cyst. I had fertility issues in the past.  Seeing a reproductive endo this week to see if they can help me.  Any advice?  Thanks.  Anna
Hi I don't know much about this but what we're going through sounds very similar. I recently had my prolactin and thyroid levels checked and when I met with my surgeon this week she mentioned testing me for a hormonal disorder. I have a cyst in one ovary the size of a tennis ball and a solid mass in the other one the size of an egg. Can you tell me more about the hormonal disorder? I didn't get very much information from the surgeon but I will tomorrow when I get the blood drawn.