Ovarian Cancer Community
Mom thinking about prophylactic oophorectomy and hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I am not sure if this is the proper place for this... My mother has been diagnosed with fibroid tumors.  They are affecting her greatly and the Dr. has suggested a hysterectomy.  She is seriously considering it due to the constant discomfort that she is in.  She is 50 y/o and the dr. says that she should also have her ovaries removed.  She really does not want to do that.  The reasoning behind the ovary removal is the chance of ovarian cancer.  There is no history in the family and we don't understand why the dr. says she HAS to have them removed aswell if there is nothing wrong with them.  After all the research we have done, could the dr. be pushing her into something that is not totally necessary?
I've had a complete hysterectomy with ovary removal, due to endometriosis, fibroids, and multiple ovarian cysts.

If I could have kept my ovaries, I would have.  I am having lots of issues now that I am in surgical menopause.  It's not fun.

Hysterectomy seems a bit extreme, as there are other options for treating fibroids.  One of my friends had a treatment where they do some type of injection that blocks off the blood flow to the fibroids, and the fibroids shrink.  Maybe your mom could check into that option, since it would be less invasive, and less risky I would think.
So the doctor has suggested that the ovaries be removed because of ovarian cancer risk. I presume he suggests this because most ovarian cancers occur in post menopausal women and your mom is approaching this stage in her life if she hasn't done so already.  Lets assess the risk.

No history of ovarian cancer in the family
Only 6% of postmenopausal women will seek medical advice because of ovarian cysts/tumours.
The majority of the cysts will resolve.

So that's a whopping 94% who will remain healthy.  A third of all post menopausal women will have had a hysterectomy - and the majority of those women will have had their ovaries remain.

The ovary continues to function even after menopause, albeit at a greatly reduced rate.  But it is still needed none the less.

I think your mom's doctor is being over cautious.  You could ask him - Would he suggest to a man past 50 that he have his testicles removed to save him from the risk of prostate cancer?  I don't think so.

Anything prophylactic should be a PERSONAL choice just like the one your mom has come to with regards to the hysterectomy.  The surgeon can only remove what she has signed for.  If the worry is that once under he'll take it all out anyway, then you should consider a second opinion.

Good luck.
I agree with Shadowscout(?)...
Definitely time for a second opinion.  I would think the doc in question would have suggested just that.
Sorry about that...I'm having a 'senior' moment!
I would definately go for another opinion....because of a risk, what risk?  Where is he getting his info from?  

I had my right ovary removed in 2000, low grade ovarian cancer...I was able to keep my other ovary for 3.5 years and it was worth it, even though it was a 2nd major surgery.  I too have dealt with and am still dealing with issues that stemmed from surgery and surgical menopause.  

I totally agree with the other posters here.  There ARE methods of treating fibroids!  I would definitely explore those options.  It is not recommended to remove the uterus because of fibroids... up to 80% of women have them....your uterus supports your bladder and other organs, and your mom's doctor is doing OVERKILL by suggesting removal of the ovaries.  Most good doctors these days do not recommend it, as you increase your risk later on of dementia, heart disease and bone loss.
If she can hang on, they will shrink after menopause... and I can guarantee she will be glad she didn't do the hysterectomy.
Do some research, such as Dr Christianne Northrup's books.