Ovarian Cancer Community
Neulasta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Neulasta

Considering the Neulasta shot within 24 hours of chemo.  Seems to be a lot of side affects regarding bone pain.
Trying to decide if it's really necessary with the neupogen shot available later.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you
Neupogen shots are generally given daily for 5 to 7 days.

Neulasta is one shot.

Also, and I am not sure if this helps with side effects, BUT I get the shot in my "belly" as opposed to the arm.  Actually, the shot is given just below the waist.  I grab an inch of fat (no problem, there) and squeeze it, and the nurse gives me the shot.  I don't feel the shot hardly at all.  Most women get it in the arm, but I worked for oncologists and many patients there preferred it in the "belly".  It has worked great for me.

Personally, I would NOT go without the shot since I have little pain associated with it.
I am blessed in that regard.

Judy C
I had some bone pain while in chemo, but I think most of mine was from the Taxol.  Like Judy, I had little if any side effect from the Neulasta.  It kept my counts close enough to normal so that I got all treatments as scheduled.  Good luck. Marie
I think some people attribute the bone pain that comes with the chemo, to Neulasta.  The bone pain I had on carbo/taxol was intense.  I didn't have the Neulasta shot. My ONC was opposed to using it unless it was entirely necessary.  IOW, he didn't use it as a precautionary drug.
bump