Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian Cancer Stage 111C

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian Cancer Stage 111C

My grandmother has Ovarian Cancer   She is 85 and has decided to not go through a 4th time of Chemo  She was diagnosed 4 3/4 years ago originally.  She has a 7.9 cm mass in her belly and a 2 cm in her para-aortic lymph node.  I have never experienced caring for a cancer patient let alone been around someone who is dying and I would really appreciate knowing what I can expect.  I am the kind of person who likes to know ahead of time about things though I realize that some situations don't fit into what I like.  Please, any advise would be so much appreciated.
Will she be in alot of pain?   Does it always spread to the liver?  What happens to a person when their liver shuts down?   What can I do to make her comfortable?  

Thank you SOOOO Much
Debra
Tags: ovarian
I'm so sorry you and your Grandmother are going through this.

Depending on how aggressive the cancer is and how quickly it spreads will determine how quickly your Grandmother will start to experience discomfort and pain. Unfortunately there will be pain but I'm sure her Oncologist will arrange for her to see a pain management team to prescribe medication to help with this. If she has a build up of ascities which can be most uncomfortable, again her Onco can arrange for it to be drained.

I'm sure her Doctors will prescribe what ever medications she may need to keep her as comfortable as possible. You may like to see if there is a consultant you can speak to about palative care.

The only other thing I can suggest is to spend as much time with her as possble and perhaps do the things she enjoys while she still can. I'm really sorry, I don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps some of the ladies that have been caregivers will come on and see your post and share with you their experiences and offer more advice than I have been able to do.

Wishing you all the very best in what can only be a very difficult time for you. And please come back and post anytime you feel the need. My thoughts and prays are with you and your Grandmother... Janet  

I too am sorry that you are having to go through this with your grandma. Her Drs should prescribe medications that she will need, but I would also suggest looking into hospice. They are there to make their patients comfortable all the way to the end. And you and the rest of the family may be with her as much as you want.
   Chris