Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian Cyst without ovaries
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Ovarian Cyst without ovaries

I have had a hysterectomy and both ovaries removed years ago.  I just got an initial pathology report back from a surgery I had a week ago and it said the mass they took out showed portions of hemorrhagic corpus luteal cysts and no endometriosis.  After I had a ultasound before the surgery they thought it was cancer.  After the surgery the surgeon said she thought it was a endometrioma.  Now the report is coming back saying its basiclly a functional cyst when I don't have ovaries and I have gone through menopause.  How is any of this possible?
Related Discussions
242604_tn?1328124825
HI There,
yes , that can happen. Bleeding into a cyst of ovulation can sometimes look very dramatic . It can also look like endometriosis.

Now that the report has come back showing no sign of endometriosis or cancer, it would be safe to start a low dose estrogen replacement.  Reports (The Women's Health Initiative (WHI)) suggest this is safe to do into your sixties.

best wishes
2 Comments
Blank
1087187_tn?1256598651
The pathology report says:
-Portions of hemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst(s) wall
-H&E sections demonstrate portions of luteinizing follicular cyst wall with areas of organizing hemorrhage
-Suggest clinical correlation
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Ovulation Tracker