Removal of one ovary and uterus
I will be having my uterus removed and a cyst on my right ovary. My question is: Is it better to remove the cyst only or to remove one or both ovaries? I am 37 with 2 kids. My partner and I have agreed that we are happy with our family size the way it is. My biggest concern if I decide to remove both of the ovaries is loss of my sex drive. On a side note my father's mother had ovarian cancer. So I am a bit scared that may happen to me as well. I am supposed to go back on Oct. 17 to schedule my surgery.
HI,
At the age of 37 years one would usually advise ovarian conservation. But with history of ovarian cancer in the family, this may be too much of a risk. Hence removing the ovaries and HRT may be one option. Other option may be conserving the ovaries, but in this situation you must be ready for a lifelong follow up of the ovaries. This will be in the form of regular ultrasound scans and biochemical markers like CA 125. Consult your Doctor.
Hope this helps.
I was 39 when diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer.  I had 2 kids and was not worried about perserving my fertility nor was I worried about surgical menopause.  Menopause compared to cancer-wasn't worried about sweats, being moody or my sex drive, worry about -You first. Cancer, especially ovarian cancer is one scary cancer.

Best of Luck to you.