Ovarian Cancer Community
Right Ovarian Pain and Painful Menstrual Cycles
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Right Ovarian Pain and Painful Menstrual Cycles

Hi,

I am 25 years old and currently have no children.  I have had very painful periods since I have been a teenager.  They got better when I was on birth control.  My body was having a lot of complications to birth control over the several years that I was using it (six years, in which I tried pills, the patch and depo provera) and finally when my body was convinced that I was pregnant after using Depo for almost two years, I decided to quit taking contraceptives (per my Physician’s suggestion).

A few months after discontinuing the contraceptives I experienced the painful menstrual cycles again (sharp pain, bloating, discomfort, terrible cramping, migraines, etc).  I have been having consistent right lower quadrant pain.  Typically the pain is greatest right after my menstrual cycle (5-12 days after I began my cycle), but it is becoming increasingly more consistent through out the month.  My OBGYN suggested that I take a Progesterone cream, manufactured by Arbonne.  I have been using the cream for almost a year.  It has only provided some relief.  By OBGYN suggested a pelvic laparoscopy to R/O Endometriosis. A few months ago I had a pelvic ultrasound, which concluded as a transvaginal exam.  The report states that my right ovary measures 3.2 x 2.2 x 3.2 cm and my left ovary measures 3.5 x 2.9 x 2.3 cm.  The overall impression states the following:

1) A 1.5 cm echogenic nodule in the left ovary among several sonolucencies there.  The lucencies probably represent several follicles.  The echogenic nodule could represent a hemorrhagic follicle or cyst, but differential diagnosis included endometrioma, and in theory, even solid ovarian nodules.

2.  Several sonolucencies in the right ovary, probably follicles and/or small cysts.

3.  Normal uterus.

The tech stated during the exam that I am a "very cysty person and very fertile."

My questions are:

1) Are these exam findings something to be concerned about?
2) Can they affect becoming pregnant or having a successful pregnancy?
3) Is there a way for the right ovarian pain to subside?

I am following up with my OBGYN in a month and a half and I am not sure if I should consider the Pelvic Laparoscopy (suggested prior to knowing about the ovarian cysts) or if there is other routes out there. Is this a procedure I should consider having?  Can any of this affect having children?

I need some advice please.