Ovarian Cancer Community
Right Ovarian Pain and Painful Menstrual Cycles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I am 25 years old and currently have no children.  I have had very painful periods since I have been a teenager.  They got better when I was on birth control.  My body was having a lot of complications to birth control over the several years that I was using it (six years, in which I tried pills, the patch and depo provera) and finally when my body was convinced that I was pregnant after using Depo for almost two years, I decided to quit taking contraceptives (per my Physician’s suggestion).

A few months after discontinuing the contraceptives I experienced the painful menstrual cycles again (sharp pain, bloating, discomfort, terrible cramping, migraines, etc).  I have been having consistent right lower quadrant pain.  Typically the pain is greatest right after my menstrual cycle (5-12 days after I began my cycle), but it is becoming increasingly more consistent through out the month.  My OBGYN suggested that I take a Progesterone cream, manufactured by Arbonne.  I have been using the cream for almost a year.  It has only provided some relief.  By OBGYN suggested a pelvic laparoscopy to R/O Endometriosis. A few months ago I had a pelvic ultrasound, which concluded as a transvaginal exam.  The report states that my right ovary measures 3.2 x 2.2 x 3.2 cm and my left ovary measures 3.5 x 2.9 x 2.3 cm.  The overall impression states the following:

1) A 1.5 cm echogenic nodule in the left ovary among several sonolucencies there.  The lucencies probably represent several follicles.  The echogenic nodule could represent a hemorrhagic follicle or cyst, but differential diagnosis included endometrioma, and in theory, even solid ovarian nodules.

2.  Several sonolucencies in the right ovary, probably follicles and/or small cysts.

3.  Normal uterus.

The tech stated during the exam that I am a "very cysty person and very fertile."

My questions are:

1) Are these exam findings something to be concerned about?
2) Can they affect becoming pregnant or having a successful pregnancy?
3) Is there a way for the right ovarian pain to subside?

I am following up with my OBGYN in a month and a half and I am not sure if I should consider the Pelvic Laparoscopy (suggested prior to knowing about the ovarian cysts) or if there is other routes out there. Is this a procedure I should consider having?  Can any of this affect having children?

I need some advice please.  
1 Comment
There are numerous different types of cysts and depending on the size and type they do not always operate.  Many cysts will come and go depending on where you are in your cycle.  It is important that you discuss all your symptoms and concerns with your OB/GYN.

Good luck and less us know how the appointment goes.