Ovarian Cancer Community
Understanding and Coping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Understanding and Coping

My cousin is 81 was diagnosed with Stage 3 possible 4 ovarian cancer and was told she wasn't a good candidate for surgery.  While we were in the hospital they drained 3 liters off her abdomen and gave her a very strong dose of chemo to try and get ahead of the cancer.  She was terribly sick but got through the mega dose.  Since then (June, 2012) the Dr. changed to weekly treatments vs every 3 wks. and has had weekly txt. since. He also started doing monthly scans to keep an eye on things.  She responded to the chemo positively; however, at the last scan and visit he said he saw fluid around the lung and a mass on her left side.  He drained the fluid and continued the chemo without any changes. My question is this:  Since the fluid showed up in the lungs and (as of the time of this question) this past week it seems to be building up in the lower leg and foot area does this mean the cancer has spread and is the chemo still working? Also, the ankle and foot area have darkened; however, she doesn't want to mention this to the Dr.  Since she told me and the Dr. early on she doesn't want to know to much a lot of my questions and concerns remain.  It's kinda like walking a tightrope trying to keep everything balanced.  Early on in the diagnosis I privately asked the Dr. what was the prognosis .  At the time, I was told 6-9 mo.  I'm not as overwhelmed as I was; however, I put my life on hold so I could spend as much time with her as I could and I feel some resentment. In addition to my other questions, can someone tell me if they have felt this way and what they did to help themselves?
1 Comment
I am very sorry to hear about your cousin.  At 81 years of age, I don't think that I would want to go through major abdominal surgery either, even if I were well enough to handle it.   If she is stage 4, without scans, they will not know exactly where the cancer has spread to, but, does it really matter.

If the fluid keeps building up, they may switch to a different chemo in hopes of keeping your cousin comfortable.

Resentment?  Towards this disease????   Not sure what you are asking.  I lost my mom in February, she was 81 (not to ovarian cancer, but, to a different disease).  I wish someone could have told me 6 to 9 months so that I could have spent more time with her,  but, I can't go back.   Enjoy the time with your cousin, laugh, enjoy eachother, cry, hold hands and be certain to tell her that you love her.  

Best of luck to you both...and we are here for both of you.
Pam