Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
cause of atypical glandular cells in cervix

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

I am a 30-year old woman who recently received a Pap result of atypical glandular cells in my cervix. I do not have a history of atypical or abnormal Pap results. I do not have HPV. I had a colposcopy and my doctor says he didn't see anything that looked malignant, but of course we're waiting for the results to be sure. Of course I hope the results do not indicate cancer or pre-cancerous conditions. If they don't, what else could cause me to have atypical glandular cells of the cervix? I have had one C-section and I have also had a fairly large uterine fibroid removed.
Hi There,
AGC (atypical glandular cell ) pap smear can represent a normal finding or it can be due to a precancer or cancer of the cervix or uterus. The options for your to talk about with your doctor include:
an ultrasound to check your ovaries
a biopsy of the lining of your uterus
a cone biopsy or leep procedure (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) of the cervix

It is important to keep things in context. With a negative HPV test, i would focus more on the uterus and ovaries.
best wishes
Ok.... I recently went for my annual Pap.. adnd the results were that they found precancerous cells from my uterine walls. I am scheduled for a endometrial biopsy. I have NOT had any unusual bleeding , what could this pre cancerous cells be coming from ?? My nerves are shot... I have 4 kids under the age of 13. I am trying to calm myself... but not knowing is the worst.

Pre cancerous is sooooo alarming to hear.. I dont even know if I heard all that the dr. said about it.. all I heard was pre cancer and biopsy. When I had the Pap done I was just getting over my period and she noticed some blood , Could I have done the test too early and that effected the results.....

Nervous as He_ _
hi there,
it sounds like you are in good hands. These are very common problems. The tragedy is when something is not picked up early. A biopsy will the right next step
best wishes
I have recently had a pap done and the results came back not normal.  She told me that I had atypical cell.  She explained to me that this a virus that I am stuck with for the rest of my life.  Is this true?  She also informed me that it is in fact a std.  Is this true?  This is the 2nd time I have had test results sayin that I have a atypical cell.  But after my first biopsy they said I was fine and It was caused from being pregnant.  I am here in hopes of gettin a second opinion!
A related discussion, atypical glandular cells was started.