Birth Control ?????
im 21 yrs old and had a ruptured cyst a month ago.  I recently attended a checkup apt and had an ultrasound that showed that i had many small cyst in my ovary and was prescribed birth control for 6 months. Im TERRIFIED to take birth control and do not know what to do.  The dr. higly recommeded that i take the birth control to get rid of the cysts but left it up to me to decide if i wanted to take it. I have researched birth control side effected and if i was terrified before now im scared to death.  I am not planning to get pregnant but worried that birth control or the cyst will affect my fertility in the future.  Can anyone help?
I think the cyst form, the fertlity forum or the women's health forum may be of help.  Good luck.  Marie
I am not a doctor but I do know that it is a very common thing to have women with multiple cysts go on birth control.  Only you can make the decision of whether it is right for you and, if you decide to take it you may need to try a couple of different brands before you find one that doesn't give you any side effects.  In terms of the side effects written on pamphlets etc., those are every conceivable thing that could happen.  If you go and read the side effects for Tylenol you would probably never take it again.  Even cold medication and nasal sprays have scary side effects written down.
Many, many young women take birth control for birth control purposes.  Others take it for period regulation and PMS control.  A friend of mine has been on it since she was 12 and she is in her 30's now.  I choose not to be on it because my hormones seem to be pretty regulated so I don't want to mess around with it unless I really need to.  Really, it is an individual choice, but I wouldn't rule it out based on side effects because they should be minor and/or disappear with time.