Ovarian Cysts Community
How to relieve bad gas/constipation after laproscopic cyst removal surg...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

How to relieve bad gas/constipation after laproscopic cyst removal surgery?

I'm on wk 2 of recovery from a (bursted) cyst removal lap surgery.  I'm slowly feeling more and more relief from the surgery itself. What's killing me is the gas and constipation pain. It is excruciating - i break out in a sweat whenever it feels like my body needs to make a movement.  I sit in the bathroom for a good 15 -20 mins.  I'm eating salad on stool softeners but it hasn't gotten much better.  Any suggestions? I try walking it off but sometimes the cramping is too much.  I also find that I"m forcing myself to eat otherwise I really have no appetite.
Try some orange juice and/or coffee.  Orange juice helps me when constipated and the caffeine will help stimulate a bowel movement.  You can also try Senna leaf tea.  This is a mild stimulant, so you may experience some cramping. Part of the constipation is due to the pain meds. I'm having lap to remove an endometrioma in two weeks and am stocking up on oj and coffee for this very reason. I had lap for gall bladder removal last year and I remember this pain.  
If this doesn't help then you may want to talk to the doctor that did the surgery.
Thanks! I heard from my surgeon and they put me on a low residue diet. Essentially low fiber to give my insides a break. I also was advised to drink a lot of juice and water. So yes OJ does work! I felt better a day or two after switching my diet.