Ovarian Cysts Community
Organ location diagram or website please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Hello, I am preparing for having my ovaries removed on January 13. My right ovary has a small tumor growing inside the lining of a 6cm cyst. My physicial has informed me if it tests cancerous, I will have to have my uterus, tubes, omentum, lymph nodes and appendix removed. I am looking for a place that shows the placement of these organs in my body so I can educate myself and have a greater understanding should this become necessary. I am quite frightened and anxious. I posted previously about it. Also, would it be innappropriate to upload the picture of my ultrasound. I don't really have anyone to share any of this with and I don't want to alarm my family unless I have cancer, so I have kept this mostly to myself. Thank you
If you do Google images and type in what you want, you'll get plenty to choose from. I chose "omentum" and "internal female organs." I specified internal so I didn't end up with the other parts. . . ahem. Or you could stop by your local library and look for an anatomy book.

As for posting a picture here, it can be done but I think the administrators look first and approve it so folks don't post nasty things. Not sure how you do it though.
I am really struggling with this. I guess what I need to know now is what is the omentum and what does it do? Does it grow back if it is removed or damaged? How does it relate to ovarian cancer?? What about the lymph nodes? which ones come out during a staging operation? Where are they located? Don't they serve a greater purpose in my body?
There is the greater omentum that lies over the stomach area and the lesser omentum that rests over the liver. They both store fat.

Lymph nodes filter out things like fluids, viruses and bacteria. Then the white blood cells come in and clean up. According to Mayo we have about 600 lymph nodes in the body. Most are in the head and neck area and some in the groin.

Doctors like to check the lymph nodes to see if any cancer cells have been filtered through them, see if cancer has spread.
Many times the Drs. have diagrams and pamphlets about these exact concerns. It's sort of difficult to answer on this kind of format.. As Irene has suggested, I'll bet if you google it you will get a lot of information.. Also try Ask.com and put it in the form of a question and you will get a lot of sites to visit.And, of course your Dr. I'm sure will have answers for you..

Good luck